Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USB phone adaptor for Skype in NZ??

USB phone adaptor for Skype in NZ??

Mutley

I discovered the wonderful world of Skype this week when I used it to
talk to my daughter on her cell phone in Jamaica using a DSE USB
handset. The speech quality was far better than what I had expected
from a crappy NZ 256K adsl circuit . No delay like when I call her
from my telecom phone. Just like talking to some one local. Test
calls back to my NZ number did have some delay.

I now a convert.

Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
below available here in NZ??

http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=

http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=SB

TIA

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Mutley wrote:
> I discovered the wonderful world of Skype this week when I used it to
> talk to my daughter on her cell phone in Jamaica using a DSE USB
> handset. The speech quality was far better than what I had expected
> from a crappy NZ 256K adsl circuit . No delay like when I call her
> from my telecom phone. Just like talking to some one local. Test
> calls back to my NZ number did have some delay.
>
> I now a convert.
>
> Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
> with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
> below available here in NZ??
>
> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/...=PROD&Product_
> Code=p4k&Category_Code=
>
> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/...=PROD&Product_
> Code=b2k&Category_Code=SB
>
> TIA

The web server those links point to is down at the moment, but this NZ
site looks like they sell just what you're after:
http://www.skypeshop.co.nz/

http://roger.geek.nz/

XPD

"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I discovered the wonderful world of Skype this week when I used it to
> talk to my daughter on her cell phone in Jamaica using a DSE USB
> handset. The speech quality was far better than what I had expected
> from a crappy NZ 256K adsl circuit . No delay like when I call her
> from my telecom phone. Just like talking to some one local. Test
> calls back to my NZ number did have some delay.
>
> I now a convert.
>
> Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
> with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
> below available here in NZ??
>
> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=
>
> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=SB
>
> TIA

Yeha there is but cant remember exactly where I saw them.... think maybe
PBTech was one place.... just do a search on Pricespy for Skype

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

Here is what I use: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5174

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

David

On Sat, 6 May 2006 17:10:29 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

> "Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I discovered the wonderful world of Skype this week when I used it to
>> talk to my daughter on her cell phone in Jamaica using a DSE USB
>> handset. The speech quality was far better than what I had expected
>> from a crappy NZ 256K adsl circuit . No delay like when I call her
>> from my telecom phone. Just like talking to some one local. Test
>> calls back to my NZ number did have some delay.
>>
>> I now a convert.
>>
>> Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
>> with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
>> below available here in NZ??
>>
>> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=
>>
>> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=SB
>>
>> TIA

> Here is what I use: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5174

Heaps on TradeMe - for as little as $26.60

David

David

On Sat, 6 May 2006 17:34:54 +1200, David wrote:

> Heaps on TradeMe - for as little as $26.60

Adaptors, that is (at that price)! Also plenty of USB phones etc.

David

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

Yes... Adapters are cheap - the Dualphone is a landline (POTS) and Skype
(USB) phone. And cordless (300m range). So much better...

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
www.geekzone.co.nz/geekzoneblog.asp
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 6 May 2006 17:34:54 +1200, David wrote:
>>
>> Heaps on TradeMe - for as little as $26.60

> Adaptors, that is (at that price)! Also plenty of USB phones etc.
>
> David

Dave Taylor

Mutley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
> with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
> below available here in NZ??

Check out South Island Components, they have a cordless analog skype combo.
http://www.sicom.co.nz/skype-cordles...net-telephone-
xidp111943.html

--
Ciao, Dave

TakeME Brett

Can these phones work with google talk or other voip providers?

Can I have more than one phone operating on the network at one time?

and great subject. thanks

John in Surrey

On Sat, 06 May 2006 14:49:23 +1200, Mutley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Go hands free, I use the Actiontec chatterbox handfree phone for skype
It cost 19 in the UK
Images of home (NZ)
http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
What we are up to in the UK