Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USB phone adaptor for Skype in NZ??

USB phone adaptor for Skype in NZ??

Nho Whei

On Wed, 10 May 2006 15:01:59 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:36:03 +1200, Nho Whei wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> Hi John ........ I' ve been using VoipStunt to UK, Australia, & within
>> NZ. Has no video or conference calling. Better audio quality though
>> than Skype I suspect.... and cheaper.

>Looking at the Dickie Smith site they have a number of telephones
>suitable for use with Skype and other software. Do you use a telephone
>or headset? Do you know anything about, or use these phones?
>
>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.fil...ogs/CTG0001979
>
>Regards,
>John.

Only ever used headsets. Presently using a usb set from Electronic
Boutique - $NZ30.
Never tried any of these phones. Always intended to get one of those
adapter things being discussed, to allow use of my dect system, but
never got a round tuit.
Interesting thread this though ......

Mutlley

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:36:03 +1200, Nho Whei wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> Hi John ........ I' ve been using VoipStunt to UK, Australia, & within
>> NZ. Has no video or conference calling. Better audio quality though
>> than Skype I suspect.... and cheaper.

>Looking at the Dickie Smith site they have a number of telephones
>suitable for use with Skype and other software. Do you use a telephone
>or headset? Do you know anything about, or use these phones?
>
>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.fil...ogs/CTG0001979
>
>Regards,
>John.

I bought a XH7170 from DSE last weekend and it is good for Skype .
The Dlink and Slingshot phones are no good for Skype type systems. The
Dlink is designed for a SIP VOIP provider..

Mutlley

"Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:7cbuh1u3urch.la26t4xs9loe$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:36:03 +1200, Nho Whei wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Hi John ........ I' ve been using VoipStunt to UK, Australia, & within
>>> NZ. Has no video or conference calling. Better audio quality though
>>> than Skype I suspect.... and cheaper.

>> Looking at the Dickie Smith site they have a number of telephones
>> suitable for use with Skype and other software. Do you use a telephone
>> or headset? Do you know anything about, or use these phones?
>>
>> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.fil...ogs/CTG0001979
>>
>> Regards,
>> John.

>Yep I use a DSE branded XH7170 which as far as I can tell is the same as the
>Laser XH7144, but without the DSE name. Works fine with both Skype and
>VOIPStunt. If you're looking for updated drivers for both of these handsets
>try http://www.yealink.com/en/skypedown.asp and other links on that page for
>other VOIP products other than Skype.

Some interesting stuff there..

Mutlley

"Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>Mutley - which specific device did you buy?
>
>Was it the ATCOM AU600 or the Linksz RJ11 Telbox?

Atcom AU600

Mutlley

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>David wrote:
>
>> FWIW Skype shope have reduced the price of the DUALPhone to $220, but it is
>> somewhat cheaper from Flashcards ($188 incl shipping & GST)
>>
>> http://www.flashcards.co.nz/catalog/index.php?cPath=125

>Still a hell of a lot for a dect phone, there are ones out there with handsfree
>on the handset for $50.
>
>Also, its reliant on a propriatry protocol, would prefer sip to skype myself.
>
>I would like to see a replacment base station that does SIP and skype without a
>computer, where each handset has an independant voip number. I have 3 dect
>handsets and a base station sitting here idle at the moment.

Agreed. Having to run a PC 24/7 for Skype is a pain. The PC specs
of the 400Meg PC are a bit off as I tried one and it was OK until you
started to talk then the CPU went to 100% and the speech broke up.. A
P1000 may be more like it. An ATA that was SIP or Skype ready even
by way of loading software into it would be more preferable..

John

On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:34:47 +1200, Mutlley wrote:

> John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:36:03 +1200, Nho Whei wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>> Hi John ........ I' ve been using VoipStunt to UK, Australia, & within
>>> NZ. Has no video or conference calling. Better audio quality though
>>> than Skype I suspect.... and cheaper.

>>Looking at the Dickie Smith site they have a number of telephones
>>suitable for use with Skype and other software. Do you use a telephone
>>or headset? Do you know anything about, or use these phones?
>>
>>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.fil...ogs/CTG0001979
>>
>>Regards,
>>John.

> I bought a XH7170 from DSE last weekend and it is good for Skype .
> The Dlink and Slingshot phones are no good for Skype type systems. The
> Dlink is designed for a SIP VOIP provider..

Purchased one today. Play around with it later

Regards,
John.