Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Display Refresh rate keeps going back to 60Hz

Display Refresh rate keeps going back to 60Hz

TyphoonTycoon

Running Windows XP, nVidia FX 5200 128MB graphics, Philip Brilliance 109P4
CRT Monitor.

Recently, I'm starting to find that Upon logging into Windows, the display
refresh rate has changed from 85Hz back down to 60Hz. This doesn't happen
upon every boot, but it happens often enough to annoy me. Suspect it may
have been caused by one of the recent windows Automatic updates

Whenever this does happen, I note under the Display settings, that the
"Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" check box is greyed out
where as it is normally active and ticked on. Resetting it back to the
desired refresh rate (85Hz) exiting the dialog and reopening the dialog, I
note that the switch becomes active again.

Any Ideas?

Stephen Williams

> Running Windows XP, nVidia FX 5200 128MB graphics, Philip Brilliance 109P4
> CRT Monitor.
>
> Recently, I'm starting to find that Upon logging into Windows, the display
> refresh rate has changed from 85Hz back down to 60Hz. This doesn't happen
> upon every boot, but it happens often enough to annoy me. Suspect it may
> have been caused by one of the recent windows Automatic updates
>
> Whenever this does happen, I note under the Display settings, that the
> "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" check box is greyed out
> where as it is normally active and ticked on. Resetting it back to the
> desired refresh rate (85Hz) exiting the dialog and reopening the dialog, I
> note that the switch becomes active again.
>
> Any Ideas?

Try downloading the latest video card drives from www.nvidia.com

Steve

Vista

"TyphoonTycoon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Running Windows XP, nVidia FX 5200 128MB graphics, Philip Brilliance 109P4
> CRT Monitor.
>
> Recently, I'm starting to find that Upon logging into Windows, the display
> refresh rate has changed from 85Hz back down to 60Hz. This doesn't happen
> upon every boot, but it happens often enough to annoy me. Suspect it may
> have been caused by one of the recent windows Automatic updates
>
> Whenever this does happen, I note under the Display settings, that the
> "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" check box is greyed out
> where as it is normally active and ticked on. Resetting it back to the
> desired refresh rate (85Hz) exiting the dialog and reopening the dialog, I
> note that the switch becomes active again.
>
> Any Ideas?

I had a similar problem and installed the latest nvidia driver didn't help.
I ended up installing the driver that came with my monitor and it fixed it.