Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > GPS in mobile phones

GPS in mobile phones

Megan

Does anyone know of any mobile phones available in New Zealand that can
save the GPS location of the phone for later downloading?

I was thinking of about a save every minute and a week between
downloads.

Ta,
Megan

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"Megan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Does anyone know of any mobile phones available in New Zealand that can
> save the GPS location of the phone for later downloading?
>
> I was thinking of about a save every minute and a week between
> downloads.

No phone in New Zealand can do this. An option would be a Windows Mobile
Pocket PC or Smartphone, or a Symbian Smartphone, communicating over
Bluetooth to a GPS.

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

B Campbell

"Megan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Does anyone know of any mobile phones available in New Zealand that can
> save the GPS location of the phone for later downloading?
>
> I was thinking of about a save every minute and a week between
> downloads.
>
> Ta,
> Megan

Is there a particular reason why you want to involve a Smartphone?
Why not just a logging GPS such as
http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/default.asp
or a product such as http://www.snitch.co.nz/

Barney Campbell

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:445ad37a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Megan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Does anyone know of any mobile phones available in New Zealand that can
>> save the GPS location of the phone for later downloading?
>>
>> I was thinking of about a save every minute and a week between
>> downloads.
>>

> No phone in New Zealand can do this. An option would be a Windows Mobile
> Pocket PC or Smartphone, or a Symbian Smartphone, communicating over
> Bluetooth to a GPS.
>
> --
>
> Mauricio Freitas
> www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
> www.geekzone.co.nz/geekzoneblog.asp
> Software for Pocket PC: www.geekzone.co.nz/store
> Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

For example GPSTuner for Smartphone www.gpstuner.com can log tracks as GPX
files in a Smartphone (eg i-mate SP3) running under Windows Mobile for
Smartphone 2003 Ozone edition SE communicating over Bluetooth with a Holux
GPSlim 236 www.holux.com .