Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > A tough decision?

A tough decision?

Craig Sutton

As many of you know I've been planning a new pc.While I decided on the final
specs, and posted away the cheque a few delays cropped up with the
backordering of parts.

This leaves me in the situation of possibly putting some components on hold
for another 3 or 4 weeks and swapping the Motherboard/ram and CPU for
socket Am2 gear.

I had orderd the Asus 8n32-sli premium. The new Equivlent Asus board is the
M2N32-SLI Deluxe. The Cpu X2 4200 would be swapped for the Am2 socket
version and the Corsair ram would be swapped for the DDR2 equivlent.

Does it seem wise enough to wait for a few weeks and go for the Am2? To me
it makes no real sense to buy a 939 socket cpu / m.b at the moment.

Jedmeister

You should wait for the next-gen chips to come out from intel in the
3rd quarter.

aum

On Wed, 03 May 2006 14:33:29 -0700, Jedmeister wrote:

> You should wait for the next-gen chips to come out from intel in the
> 3rd quarter.

You're going to be a sucker no matter what or when you buy. Mobos are
already way obsolete by the time they hit the shelves, and have a product
life cycle less than 6 months. CPUs are not much better.

No matter what you buy, it won't be long before you're cringing about the
purchase because something better/cheaper/faster has come out.

I tend to put up with my gear as long as I can, then just grit my teeth
and fork out.

In fact, I've still got the same computer I had in 1999. Only it's had 5
new mobos, 6 new CPUs, 6 new disk drives, 4 new cases/PSUs, 4 new monitors...

--

Cheers
aum

ChrisB

Craig Sutton wrote:
> As many of you know I've been planning a new pc.While I decided on the final
> specs, and posted away the cheque a few delays cropped up with the
> backordering of parts.
>
> This leaves me in the situation of possibly putting some components on hold
> for another 3 or 4 weeks and swapping the Motherboard/ram and CPU for
> socket Am2 gear.
>
> I had orderd the Asus 8n32-sli premium. The new Equivlent Asus board is the
> M2N32-SLI Deluxe. The Cpu X2 4200 would be swapped for the Am2 socket
> version and the Corsair ram would be swapped for the DDR2 equivlent.
>
> Does it seem wise enough to wait for a few weeks and go for the Am2? To me
> it makes no real sense to buy a 939 socket cpu / m.b at the moment.

I'm in the same situation - and am delaying my purchase for the same,
even though it pains me to live a little longer with my current PC (even
though it's a secondary one). It's the Pacifica feature that has me
waiting - though even for a socket 939 I would probably still wait,
since the release of AM2 will drive down the price of 939.
As for waiting for Conroe I wouldn't bother. You have to bite the bullet
at some stage.

Deck

> In fact, I've still got the same computer I had in 1999. Only it's had 5
> new mobos, 6 new CPUs, 6 new disk drives, 4 new cases/PSUs, 4 new
> monitors...
>
> --
>
> Cheers
> aum

huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced all the
major componentry? : )

Petrushka

On 04/05/06 12:39, Deck wrote:
>> In fact, I've still got the same computer I had in 1999. Only it's had 5
>> new mobos, 6 new CPUs, 6 new disk drives, 4 new cases/PSUs, 4 new
>> monitors...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Cheers
>> aum

> huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced all the
> major componentry? : )

This is an interesting metaphysical question which I'm sure has been
discussed many times before, but I've no idea what the outcome of former
discussions might have been. When is a computer no longer the "same"
computer. Personally, I think ... naaaah, actually I don't really care.

~misfit~

Deck wrote:
>> In fact, I've still got the same computer I had in 1999. Only it's
>> had 5 new mobos, 6 new CPUs, 6 new disk drives, 4 new cases/PSUs, 4
>> new monitors...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Cheers
>> aum
>>

> huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced
> all the major componentry? : )

Hehee. That sounds like my first PC. After a few years the only original
thing was the floppy drive. The case and the Soundblaster did hang in there
for a while but, being ISA, finally had to go. The case had insufficient
cooling for faster/hotter CPUs.

In fact you could say I still have the same PC *I* had in 1995, although
nothing I have now is in common with the first one. However, some of the
components always made it over to the new build, making an unbroken line
from this one right back to the first one. At no stage was I rich enough to
say "Fcuk it" and sell the old and buy completely new, it was a constant
upgrade thing.

I do however still have the FDD and Soundblaster 16 in the drawer.
--
Shaun.

Shane

Petrushka wrote:

> On 04/05/06 12:39, Deck wrote:
>>> In fact, I've still got the same computer I had in 1999. Only it's had 5
>>> new mobos, 6 new CPUs, 6 new disk drives, 4 new cases/PSUs, 4 new
>>> monitors...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> aum

>> huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced all
>> the major componentry? : )

> This is an interesting metaphysical question which I'm sure has been
> discussed many times before, but I've no idea what the outcome of former
> discussions might have been. When is a computer no longer the "same"
> computer. Personally, I think ... naaaah, actually I don't really care.

Original axe, heads been swapped 3 times, and the handle twice

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Jedmeister

Well, you could class CPU development into major and minor updates.

The last major update was the pentium 4 in 2001. The next major
update is Conroe, due in just a few months.

Given it has been 5 years since the last major architectural update,
I'd be inclined to wait. In fact, I am waiting now, I plan to upgrade
when conroe is released. (assuming it will be better than athlon).

Craig Sutton

"Jedmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> You should wait for the next-gen chips to come out from intel in the
> 3rd quarter.

No that's just far to long there will always be something better coming
out..

Tough Internet Dialup->Wireless->Router->Notebook question =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFNtaXRo?= Wireless Networking 5 11-26-2005 10:43 AM
Tough problem! sPiDEr Cisco 7 02-29-2004 11:35 AM
No program too tough. At Colance we have the best professionals. qZ Donald Powell Perl 0 12-12-2003 12:57 AM
No program too tough. At Colance we have the best professionals. oMbX Jeremy Sanchez Perl 0 12-12-2003 12:56 AM
Re: tough question: MTU Path discovery , IPsec, VPN, Pre-fragmentation. Nick Bailey Cisco 0 10-20-2003 07:57 PM

Advertisments