Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Government orders Telecom unbundling of local loop... you heard it here first!!!!

Government orders Telecom unbundling of local loop... you heard it here first!!!!

Stu Fleming

EMB wrote:
> Stu Fleming wrote:
>
>> What did the Telecom share price do between 10am and 5pm today?

> The announcement was after the close of the NZ stock exchange, but on
> the Aus exchange the price dropped 7% immediately.

It leaked to Telecom earlier in the day. I was more interested in
abnormal share movements before the public announcement.

-=rjh=-

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> woohoo!!

So now we'll find out just how stuffed Telecom's network really is.

Matty F

Stu Fleming wrote:
> EMB wrote:
>
>> Stu Fleming wrote:
>>
>>> What did the Telecom share price do between 10am and 5pm today?

>> The announcement was after the close of the NZ stock exchange, but on
>> the Aus exchange the price dropped 7% immediately.
>>

> It leaked to Telecom earlier in the day. I was more interested in
> abnormal share movements before the public announcement.

I used to be able to see a graph of the last day's trading.
Does anyone know of a URL?

~misfit~

Evans wrote:
> I smell a rat - perhaps Labour will unbundle Telecom after the next
> election...
>
> the battle only just begun...
>
> "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "TyphoonTycoon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Link to government announcement
>>> http://www.beehive.govt.nz/ViewDocum...cumentID=25636
>>>

>> Hmm... maybe I missed something (skim reading) or are they missing
>> one fact in that..... WHEN ?
>> Its fine to say "its happening" but Ive heard that before and 5 yrs
>> later something happens... :-/

The announcement was rushed as it was intended to be announced on budget
night. However, one of the groups party to the decision leaked it so the
government went public in a hurry.
--
Shaun.

-=rjh=-

~misfit~ wrote:
> Evans wrote:
>> I smell a rat - perhaps Labour will unbundle Telecom after the next
>> election...
>>
>> the battle only just begun...
>>
>> "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "TyphoonTycoon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Hmm... maybe I missed something (skim reading) or are they missing
>>> one fact in that..... WHEN ?
>>> Its fine to say "its happening" but Ive heard that before and 5 yrs
>>> later something happens... :-/

> The announcement was rushed as it was intended to be announced on budget
> night. However, one of the groups party to the decision leaked it so the
> government went public in a hurry.

Wonder who it was? Give that man an iPod

~misfit~

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "TyphoonTycoon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Link to government announcement
>>> http://www.beehive.govt.nz/ViewDocum...cumentID=25636
>>>

>> Hmm... maybe I missed something (skim reading) or are they missing
>> one fact in that..... WHEN ?
>> Its fine to say "its happening" but Ive heard that before and 5 yrs
>> later something happens... :-/
>>

> 500 years from now. Buck Rogers can then visit Auckland, and surf
> using telstra clear equipment.

"Communications Minister David Cunliffe says the changes will come into
effect next year..."

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=61820

Expect to get royally shafted between now and when it happens as Telecom
grab all they can. Their share price has already plumetted in Aussie.
--
Shaun.

Kent Smith

"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:leX5g.7269$(E-Mail Removed)...
> woohoo!!

Take a look at this at tomorrow morning if you want a laugh:
http://www.nzx.com/market/security_d...urity?code=TEL

-KENT

~misfit~

-=rjh=- wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Evans wrote:
>>> I smell a rat - perhaps Labour will unbundle Telecom after the next
>>> election...
>>>
>>> the battle only just begun...
>>>
>>> "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> The announcement was rushed as it was intended to be announced on
>> budget night. However, one of the groups party to the decision
>> leaked it so the government went public in a hurry.

> Wonder who it was? Give that man an iPod

LOL, methinks he already has one. I bet he also had a parcel of Telecom
shares, which he sold before blowing the whistle.
--
Shaun.

Matthew Poole

On Wed, 03 May 2006 23:11:21 +1200, someone purporting to be ~misfit~
didst scrawl:

> Evans wrote:

*SNIP*
> The announcement was rushed as it was intended to be announced on budget
> night. However, one of the groups party to the decision leaked it so the
> government went public in a hurry.

They really had to. Telecom got the document, and the Government had
little choice. Telecom may be bastards, but they're also smart bastards
with good lawyers and those lawyers did the right thing by advising that
they let the Government know.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Matthew Poole

On Wed, 03 May 2006 23:15:35 +1200, someone purporting to be -=rjh=- didst
scrawl:

> ~misfit~ wrote:

*SNIP*
> Wonder who it was? Give that man an iPod

They'll need it when they're in prison for releasing classified
information without authorisation. The document was Cabinet-classified,
and I imagine the SIS are already forming the hanging squad to track them
down.