Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What is Xtra

What is Xtra

+Eric+

I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago

"WHAT IS XTRA

XTRA (tm) gives you access to:

E-MAIL
An electronic mail system breaks down geographic boundaries to help you
keep in touch. Communicate instantly in a cost effective way.

NEWSGROUPS
Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
any subject.

FILE TRANSFER SERVICES
Send files or information to other computers or download files to yours.

CHAT
Join interactive discussion groups on almost any subject, and chat with
people like Bill Birch about the budget or Sean Fitzpatrick about the
All Blacks."

I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
and
that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups
can be described as a complimentary addition to the package.

Gavin & Sandy

"+Eric+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RBm5g.6932$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
> received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago
>
> "WHAT IS XTRA
>
> XTRA (tm) gives you access to:
>
> E-MAIL
> An electronic mail system breaks down geographic boundaries to help you
> keep in touch. Communicate instantly in a cost effective way.
>
> NEWSGROUPS
> Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
> any subject.
>
> FILE TRANSFER SERVICES
> Send files or information to other computers or download files to yours.
>
> CHAT
> Join interactive discussion groups on almost any subject, and chat with
> people like Bill Birch about the budget or Sean Fitzpatrick about the
> All Blacks."
>
> I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
> and
> that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups
> can be described as a complimentary addition to the package.

You know email can also pass as complimentary with some ISP's. I just had a
browse at Ihug's offerings since I haven't been with them since about 1998 I
think. Their email addresses are offer "free" with the dial-up account. This
could be argued that they are complimentary on their part. I wonder if Xtra
have something written about free email address aswell.

But you're right, and I'm still sure there's nothing to even suggest news
groups were complimentary that I can find still.

Gavin.

Matthew Poole

On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:49:58 +1200, someone purporting to be +Eric+ didst
scrawl:

> I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
> received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago

*SNIP*
> NEWSGROUPS
> Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
> any subject.

*SNIP*
> I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
> and
> that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups
> can be described as a complimentary addition to the package.

Ohhhhhhhh. That's good evidence for a complaint to the ComCom about their
failure to adhere to their TOU. Also, hunt out the person who was already
making noises about complaining (posted in nz.general), since I'm sure
they'd love to have that pamphlet too.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 02 May 2006 08:18:24 +1200, Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:49:58 +1200, someone purporting to be +Eric+ didst
>scrawl:
>
>> I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
>> received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago
>>

>*SNIP*
>> NEWSGROUPS
>> Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
>> any subject.

>*SNIP*
>> I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
>> and
>> that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups
>> can be described as a complimentary addition to the package.

>Ohhhhhhhh. That's good evidence for a complaint to the ComCom about their
>failure to adhere to their TOU. Also, hunt out the person who was already
>making noises about complaining (posted in nz.general), since I'm sure
>they'd love to have that pamphlet too.

The Commerce Commission? Why would they care about Xtra pulling their
news server?

It really doesn't fall into their jurisdiction.

ants.bull@paradise.net.nz

Who cares, you can get to news groups through google, not even worth
complaining about.

Gavin & Sandy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Who cares, you can get to news groups through google, not even worth
> complaining about.

Accept you give them and inch and they will take it around the universe, not
just a mile. It's a service that I believe I was paying for. It would be a
different story if you were paying off a PC and one day the vendor showed up
at the door asking for the complimentary monitor back.

Nik Coughlin

> Who cares, you can get to news groups through google, not even worth
> complaining about.

Can you please quote your replies, otherwise people who aren't using Google
Groups have no context for your message. It's pretty easy to do once you
know how:

http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

Thanks

Kent Smith

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 02 May 2006 08:18:24 +1200, Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>
>>On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:49:58 +1200, someone purporting to be +Eric+ didst
>>scrawl:
>>
>>> I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
>>> received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago
>>>

>>*SNIP*
>>> NEWSGROUPS
>>> Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
>>> any subject.

>>*SNIP*
>>> I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
>>> and
>>> that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups
>>> can be described as a complimentary addition to the package.

>>Ohhhhhhhh. That's good evidence for a complaint to the ComCom about their
>>failure to adhere to their TOU. Also, hunt out the person who was already
>>making noises about complaining (posted in nz.general), since I'm sure
>>they'd love to have that pamphlet too.

> The Commerce Commission? Why would they care about Xtra pulling their
> news server?
>
> It really doesn't fall into their jurisdiction.

Failure to provide an advertised service - absolutely it does.

-KENT

Vista

"+Eric+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RBm5g.6932$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
> received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago
>
> "WHAT IS XTRA
>
> XTRA (tm) gives you access to:
>
> E-MAIL
> An electronic mail system breaks down geographic boundaries to help you
> keep in touch. Communicate instantly in a cost effective way.
>
> NEWSGROUPS
> Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
> any subject.
>
> FILE TRANSFER SERVICES
> Send files or information to other computers or download files to yours.
>
> CHAT
> Join interactive discussion groups on almost any subject, and chat with
> people like Bill Birch about the budget or Sean Fitzpatrick about the
> All Blacks."
>
> I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
> and
> that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups can
> be described as a complimentary addition to the package.

Probably, however companies can change their terms and conditions and the
services they offer at any time. The same way you are free to choose who to
use. If however you are on a contract, such as a 12 month contract, and they
charge you a penalty fee for breaking that contract, you would be able to
claim that fee back, due to a change in the conditions that you signed up
under. Same with any connction fee.

Vista

"Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e368ig$254k$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 02 May 2006 08:18:24 +1200, Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> exclaimed:
>>
>>>On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:49:58 +1200, someone purporting to be +Eric+ didst
>>>scrawl:

>>>*SNIP*
>>>*SNIP*
>>>
>>>Ohhhhhhhh. That's good evidence for a complaint to the ComCom about their
>>>failure to adhere to their TOU. Also, hunt out the person who was already
>>>making noises about complaining (posted in nz.general), since I'm sure
>>>they'd love to have that pamphlet too.

>> The Commerce Commission? Why would they care about Xtra pulling their
>> news server?
>>
>> It really doesn't fall into their jurisdiction.

> Failure to provide an advertised service - absolutely it does.
>

> -KENT

But they can change the services they offer. Most people wouldn't be on any
form of fixed term contract with Xtra. They don't have to provide any
services if they don't want to, however obvioulsy they wouldn't have any
customers.

Smiley Xtra Working?? LadySpudz Firefox 5 05-05-2005 08:03 AM
Why are my Menus needing an Xtra click to keep 'em Active? Anyone ? Fred-C- Computer Support 3 04-19-2005 10:02 PM
Smilie Xtra Extension Jeff Firefox 0 04-11-2005 01:02 AM
pop 3 xtra john.w.wood Computer Support 1 09-13-2004 10:23 AM
Xtra customers - be VERY careful, geopelia Computer Support 7 11-20-2003 03:25 AM

Advertisments