Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DNS Timeout Error

DNS Timeout Error

kriskirk@hotmail.com

Ever since I switched to Slingshot (about a week ago), I occasionally
get the following error when trying to access Yahoo Mail:

[code=DNS_TIMEOUT] A DNS lookup error occurred because the request
timed out during the lookup.

Does this point to a problem with Slingshot's DNS server, or a problem
with the Yahoo Mail server itself? Is there a way I can tell?

No other web sites seem to be affected.

BTW I'm using XP SP2 with IE 6.

Kris

Zonter

Hi, I'm Alessandro Saitta, a 37 y.o. italian man. I live in Follonica
(Grosseto) Italy - Cassarello street, 131. I'm the most famous
italian spammer in the world. If you uderstand italian language, come
to visit my site at:
http://tinyurl.com/q7uh2

Don't miss the amazing opportunity to meet the italian 'cantautore alla
bona' at: www.lellovitello.it

Hurry up! so come on! Don't you know the italian 'Cantore della Merda'?
Don't waste your time and come to: www.joenatta.com !

Express your opinions about everything! No restrictions! Multi
language site at: www.what-about.it !

Brett

Hi.

Are you using Norton Internet Security and checking your e-mail with Outlook
Express? I had the exactly the same problem (it was [code=DNS_TIMEOUT] A DNS
lookup error occurred because the request timed out during the lookup) and
eventually tracked it back to a problem with the NIS firewall settings in
relation to the Slingshit mail server. Contacted their no help desk and
found them as unhelpful as ever. They had no idea how to fix it or interest
in trying to help. Just said that I should try contacting Symantec. As
Symantec would have had no idea of the Slingshit setup this was obviously a
futile waste of time, so I fiddle around with rules until I found something
that worked. Sorry that I can't remember or se what it was but at least this
should narrow it down a bit. Try closing NIS briefly and check you email
again. I think that you'll find that you can check it with no problem.

Brett

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Ever since I switched to Slingshot (about a week ago), I occasionally
> get the following error when trying to access Yahoo Mail:
>
> [code=DNS_TIMEOUT] A DNS lookup error occurred because the request
> timed out during the lookup.
>
> Does this point to a problem with Slingshot's DNS server, or a problem
> with the Yahoo Mail server itself? Is there a way I can tell?
>
> No other web sites seem to be affected.
>
> BTW I'm using XP SP2 with IE 6.
>
> Kris

Brett

Just one other bit of info for you. Here is a copy of my email to the no
help desk, which at least says which ports it was that I needed to fix:

"Hi. I am using Slingshot ADSL and can check all of my e-mail accounts with
Outlook Express except for my Slingshot accounts. I can check the Slingshot
accounts if I disable Norton Internet Security but that is not a viable long
term solution. I've noticed that Slingshot uses port 25 for SMTP and port
110 for POP3, whereas the Gmail account that I can successfully check with
NIS on uses for 465 for SMTP and port 995 for POP3. Presumably I just need
to adjust a port setting in NIS for this to work."

Hope this helps a bit.