Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > what happened to trademe watchlists

what happened to trademe watchlists

Judges1318

Until recently I could put items browsed on the Trademe
into the "watchlist" and then review them (and bid).
On the description page there used to be link
saying: put to watchlist.

Now, my watchlist still exists, and there are still
the items I have put there before, but now all the
links "put to watchlist" seem to be gone.
I thought perhaps I was hogging the space, and
deleted quite a few items from my watchlist, but
the links are still missing?

Does anyone know what has happened?

Robert Feigel

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:30:04 +1200, Judges1318
<(E-Mail Removed)> magnanimously proffered:

>Until recently I could put items browsed on the Trademe
>into the "watchlist" and then review them (and bid).
>On the description page there used to be link
>saying: put to watchlist.
>
>Now, my watchlist still exists, and there are still
>the items I have put there before, but now all the
>links "put to watchlist" seem to be gone.
>I thought perhaps I was hogging the space, and
>deleted quite a few items from my watchlist, but
>the links are still missing?
>
>Does anyone know what has happened?

TradeMe has exchanged the Watchlist text link for a large icon which
is much easier to see.

Now, instead of clicking the text link and having it open another page
(sometimes with advertising for similar items), it simply puts the
item on your watchlist automatically. A big improvement AFAIC.

There is still an option to receive or not receive email notification
when the item is coming up for auction and you can change that option.
But, by default, it remains at your previous setting until you change
it.

-=rjh=-

Robert Feigel wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:30:04 +1200, Judges1318
> <(E-Mail Removed)> magnanimously proffered:
>
>> Until recently I could put items browsed on the Trademe
>> into the "watchlist" and then review them (and bid).
>> On the description page there used to be link
>> saying: put to watchlist.
>>
>> Now, my watchlist still exists, and there are still
>> the items I have put there before, but now all the
>> links "put to watchlist" seem to be gone.
>> I thought perhaps I was hogging the space, and
>> deleted quite a few items from my watchlist, but
>> the links are still missing?
>>
>> Does anyone know what has happened?

> TradeMe has exchanged the Watchlist text link for a large icon which
> is much easier to see.
>
> Now, instead of clicking the text link and having it open another page
> (sometimes with advertising for similar items), it simply puts the
> item on your watchlist automatically. A big improvement AFAIC.
>
> There is still an option to receive or not receive email notification
> when the item is coming up for auction and you can change that option.
> But, by default, it remains at your previous setting until you change
> it.

It's better than that, because now it is all whizzy and web2.0 (curved
corners, too) so you don't have to navigate away from the auction page
and back again, it really is an improvement. Also it shows if the item
is already on your watchlist. The new button looks quite out of place in
the current trademe presentation, maybe they are going to update the
whole site.

But maybe it doesn't work in all browsers? At the least I think you'll
need javascript enabled.

Now if only it was as easy to arrange delivery and payment as it is with
ebay and paypal...

Nik Coughlin

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Robert Feigel wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:30:04 +1200, Judges1318
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> magnanimously proffered:
>>
>>> Until recently I could put items browsed on the Trademe
>>> into the "watchlist" and then review them (and bid).
>>> On the description page there used to be link
>>> saying: put to watchlist.
>>>
>>> Now, my watchlist still exists, and there are still
>>> the items I have put there before, but now all the
>>> links "put to watchlist" seem to be gone.
>>> I thought perhaps I was hogging the space, and
>>> deleted quite a few items from my watchlist, but
>>> the links are still missing?
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what has happened?

>> TradeMe has exchanged the Watchlist text link for a large icon which
>> is much easier to see.
>>
>> Now, instead of clicking the text link and having it open another
>> page (sometimes with advertising for similar items), it simply puts
>> the item on your watchlist automatically. A big improvement AFAIC.
>>
>> There is still an option to receive or not receive email notification
>> when the item is coming up for auction and you can change that
>> option. But, by default, it remains at your previous setting until
>> you change it.

> It's better than that, because now it is all whizzy and web2.0 (curved
> corners, too) so you don't have to navigate away from the auction page
> and back again, it really is an improvement. Also it shows if the item
> is already on your watchlist. The new button looks quite out of place
> in the current trademe presentation, maybe they are going to update
> the whole site.
>
> But maybe it doesn't work in all browsers? At the least I think you'll
> need javascript enabled.

Nope, works fine in Firefox with JavaScript disabled. They would be pretty
stupid if it didn't.

Judges1318

Nik Coughlin wrote:

>>>Now, instead of clicking the text link and having it open another
>>>page (sometimes with advertising for similar items), it simply puts
>>>the item on your watchlist automatically. A big improvement AFAIC.
>>>

>>But maybe it doesn't work in all browsers? At the least I think you'll
>>need javascript enabled.

> Nope, works fine in Firefox with JavaScript disabled. They would be pretty
> stupid if it didn't.

What are your ranks (stars) with TM?

I do not see any snazzy icons, though the things I bid for do get to the
list. Perhaps I am not high enough a rank.

But, how do I watch for the things I do not want to bid (but just to
know the final price and whether fell through)?

Zonter

Hi, I'm Alessandro Saitta, a 37 y.o. italian man. I live in Follonica
(Grosseto) Italy - Cassarello street, 131. I'm the most famous
italian spammer in the world. If you uderstand italian language, come
to visit my site at:
http://tinyurl.com/q7uh2

Don't miss the amazing opportunity to meet the italian 'cantautore alla
bona' at: www.lellovitello.it

Hurry up! so come on! Don't you know the italian 'Cantore della Merda'?
Don't waste your time and come to: www.joenatta.com !

Express your opinions about everything! No restrictions! Multi
language site at: www.what-about.it !

Robert Feigel

On Mon, 01 May 2006 18:59:11 +1200, Judges1318
<(E-Mail Removed)> magnanimously proffered:

>>>But maybe it doesn't work in all browsers? At the least I think you'll
>>>need javascript enabled.

>> Nope, works fine in Firefox with JavaScript disabled. They would be pretty
>> stupid if it didn't.
>>

>What are your ranks (stars) with TM?
>
>I do not see any snazzy icons, though the things I bid for do get to the
>list. Perhaps I am not high enough a rank.
>
>But, how do I watch for the things I do not want to bid (but just to
>know the final price and whether fell through)?

No snazzy icon, just a icon that's larger that the text used to be and
positioned where the Watch It text used to be. What browser are you
using?

-=rjh=-

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>> Robert Feigel wrote:
>>> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:30:04 +1200, Judges1318
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> magnanimously proffered:

>>> TradeMe has exchanged the Watchlist text link for a large icon which
>>> is much easier to see.
>>>
>>> Now, instead of clicking the text link and having it open another
>>> page (sometimes with advertising for similar items), it simply puts
>>> the item on your watchlist automatically. A big improvement AFAIC.
>>>
>>> There is still an option to receive or not receive email notification
>>> when the item is coming up for auction and you can change that
>>> option. But, by default, it remains at your previous setting until
>>> you change it.

>> It's better than that, because now it is all whizzy and web2.0 (curved
>> corners, too) so you don't have to navigate away from the auction page
>> and back again, it really is an improvement. Also it shows if the item
>> is already on your watchlist. The new button looks quite out of place
>> in the current trademe presentation, maybe they are going to update
>> the whole site.
>>
>> But maybe it doesn't work in all browsers? At the least I think you'll
>> need javascript enabled.

> Nope, works fine in Firefox with JavaScript disabled. They would be pretty
> stupid if it didn't.

Not entirely correct.

It works, but without javascript enabled in Firefox, the system degrades
to the old functionality, where you navigate away from the page and back
again. With js on, you never leave the page; it is heaps better.

Nik Coughlin

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> -=rjh=- wrote:

>>> But maybe it doesn't work in all browsers? At the least I think
>>> you'll need javascript enabled.

>> Nope, works fine in Firefox with JavaScript disabled. They would be
>> pretty stupid if it didn't.

> Not entirely correct.
>
> It works, but without javascript enabled in Firefox, the system
> degrades to the old functionality, where you navigate away from the
> page and back again. With js on, you never leave the page; it is
> heaps better.

So you're saying it's not entirely correct that "it works without
JavaScript"? It works fine. "Works" being the operative word here. I'm
glad that they were smart enough to provide fallback functionality.

Judges1318

Robert Feigel wrote:

>>I do not see any snazzy icons, though the things I bid for do get to the
>>list. Perhaps I am not high enough a rank.
>>
>>But, how do I watch for the things I do not want to bid (but just to
>>know the final price and whether fell through)?
>>

> No snazzy icon, just a icon that's larger that the text used to be and
> positioned where the Watch It text used to be. What browser are you
> using?

IE under Wws AND Mozilla under FBSD and I have the same thing.
I tried reducing privacy to Medium, etc etc. Javascript is enabled,
IE offers no option of disabling it in the first place, AFAIK.

trademe con? - $10 to ask a question bruce NZ Computing 44 03-14-2010 03:59 AM
Trademe alternatives? paora NZ Computing 7 03-14-2010 03:53 AM
Trademe idiots Weez NZ Computing 57 05-20-2004 05:19 AM
Question about "TradeMe" bidding Craig NZ Computing 2 01-27-2004 08:51 AM
TradeMe strangeness JD NZ Computing 16 08-08-2003 06:08 AM

Advertisments