Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Advice Please - Jumping from Xtra to TelstraClear

Re: Advice Please - Jumping from Xtra to TelstraClear

-Newsman-

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:44:00 +1200, btmo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Telecom / Xtra have ****ed me off once too often, and this "we are going
>to take away "complimentary" usenet access" is really the last straw.
>
>I have had a look at TelstraClear plans, and it appears that bundling
>services, I can actually save quite a bit of money AND get cable internet.
>
>Does anyone use cable broadband, and are you willing your experiences?
>
>Which of the ISP choices makes more sense?
>
>Can you access newsgroups via paradise / clearnet?

I use Clearnet, with TV, phone and Internet bundled.

As a component of Telstra's bundled services, the cost of Internet
access seems very reasonable compared to Telecom. Installation was
free including their cable modem. Two-year contract.

Live and podcast programming from various radio broadcasters around
the world is a priority for me and this is where Cable's speed of
access and 'efficiency' serves well. Since signing up, listening to
local radio has all but evaporated in this household.

Clear's News has crapped out a couple of times but it's not life
threatening, is it? The entire Cablenet system failed in Wellington
and Christchurch for several hours a while back.

Not perfect, but life's just too short to....

shannon

-Newsman- wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:44:00 +1200, btmo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Telecom / Xtra have ****ed me off once too often, and this "we are going
>> to take away "complimentary" usenet access" is really the last straw.
>>
>> I have had a look at TelstraClear plans, and it appears that bundling
>> services, I can actually save quite a bit of money AND get cable internet.
>>
>> Does anyone use cable broadband, and are you willing your experiences?
>>
>> Which of the ISP choices makes more sense?
>>
>> Can you access newsgroups via paradise / clearnet?
>>

> I use Clearnet, with TV, phone and Internet bundled.
>
> As a component of Telstra's bundled services, the cost of Internet
> access seems very reasonable compared to Telecom. Installation was
> free including their cable modem. Two-year contract.
>
> Live and podcast programming from various radio broadcasters around
> the world is a priority for me and this is where Cable's speed of
> access and 'efficiency' serves well. Since signing up, listening to
> local radio has all but evaporated in this household.

If you like that sort of thing I highly recommend the Squeezebox
http://www.slimdevices.com/
and the alienbbc plugin
Besides being an excellent local network music appliance it streams net
radio, and podcasts and gives me all the bbc radio streams and archives,
and the live concert archive at archive.org at the touch of a remote,
without a computer in my listening room.

Mackin_NZ

shannon wrote:

<snip>

> If you like that sort of thing I highly recommend the Squeezebox
> http://www.slimdevices.com/
> and the alienbbc plugin
> Besides being an excellent local network music appliance it streams net
> radio, and podcasts and gives me all the bbc radio streams and archives,
> and the live concert archive at archive.org at the touch of a remote,
> without a computer in my listening room.

Ditto on the Squeezbox. I have one too and it's an excellent device. I
have one of the original models (SB1) but I'm considering upgrading to the
latest model (SB3) which has a better DAC, larger buffer and 802.11g
wireless (mine has only 802.11b).

Mackin_NZ

shannon

Mackin_NZ wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> If you like that sort of thing I highly recommend the Squeezebox
>> http://www.slimdevices.com/
>> and the alienbbc plugin
>> Besides being an excellent local network music appliance it streams net
>> radio, and podcasts and gives me all the bbc radio streams and archives,
>> and the live concert archive at archive.org at the touch of a remote,
>> without a computer in my listening room.

> Ditto on the Squeezbox. I have one too and it's an excellent device. I
> have one of the original models (SB1) but I'm considering upgrading to the
> latest model (SB3) which has a better DAC, larger buffer and 802.11g
> wireless (mine has only 802.11b).
>
> Mackin_NZ

Smug SB3 user here , you will love the big display and the Squeezebox
Network, no local pc required for shoutcast. I started off with the bent
perspex slimp3, its still running in a bar.

Gordon

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:55:55 +0000, -Newsman- wrote:

> Clear's News has crapped out a couple of times but it's not life
> threatening, is it?

Depends for how long eh? After all Telcom's News is going 6' under, and
look at the problems it is causing its customers.