Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Will saved newsgroup messages disappear?

Will saved newsgroup messages disappear?

Geopelia

Help Please!
I have saved a lot of newsgroup messages in folders I have made. At present
they are all filed under "Sent items" in the Folders column on the left,
under Outlook Express -Local Folders - Sent items.
I also have folders for saved emails I have received, also filed under Sent
items.
( Sent items was just a convenient place to put them, rather than under
Inbox)

I could save them to My Documents, but although I could do it individually,
there doesn't seem any way on my computer to highlight a bunch of them and
save them, or save a whole folder, "save as" is greyed when I try that.
Export doesn't work either, I keep getting an error message.

I suppose the email messages will still be saved, but when xtra closes down
the newsgroups, will all these saved newsgroup messages disappear?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's rather a worry, as there are so
many, and I'll have to move them all before the newsgroups close if xtra is
getting rid of them.

Thank you

Geopelia

E. Scrooge

"Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6PJ4g.6592$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Help Please!
> I have saved a lot of newsgroup messages in folders I have made. At
> present they are all filed under "Sent items" in the Folders column on the
> left, under Outlook Express -Local Folders - Sent items.
> I also have folders for saved emails I have received, also filed under
> Sent items.
> ( Sent items was just a convenient place to put them, rather than under
> Inbox)
>
> I could save them to My Documents, but although I could do it
> individually, there doesn't seem any way on my computer to highlight a
> bunch of them and save them, or save a whole folder, "save as" is greyed
> when I try that. Export doesn't work either, I keep getting an error
> message.
>
> I suppose the email messages will still be saved, but when xtra closes
> down the newsgroups, will all these saved newsgroup messages disappear?
>
> Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's rather a worry, as there are so
> many, and I'll have to move them all before the newsgroups close if xtra
> is getting rid of them.
>
> Thank you
>
> Geopelia

What's saved on your hard drive will still stay on it. Unread headers from
Xtra will be useless once Xtra shuts down, but your read messages that are
saved will stay along with all messages you've sent in your sent folder.

E. Scrooge

Geopelia

> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6PJ4g.6592$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Help Please!
>> I have saved a lot of newsgroup messages in folders I have made. At
>> present they are all filed under "Sent items" in the Folders column on
>> the left, under Outlook Express -Local Folders - Sent items.
>> I also have folders for saved emails I have received, also filed under
>> Sent items.
>> ( Sent items was just a convenient place to put them, rather than under
>> Inbox)
>>
>> I could save them to My Documents, but although I could do it
>> individually, there doesn't seem any way on my computer to highlight a
>> bunch of them and save them, or save a whole folder, "save as" is greyed
>> when I try that. Export doesn't work either, I keep getting an error
>> message.
>>
>> I suppose the email messages will still be saved, but when xtra closes
>> down the newsgroups, will all these saved newsgroup messages disappear?
>>
>> Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's rather a worry, as there are
>> so many, and I'll have to move them all before the newsgroups close if
>> xtra is getting rid of them.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Geopelia

> What's saved on your hard drive will still stay on it. Unread headers
> from Xtra will be useless once Xtra shuts down, but your read messages
> that are saved will stay along with all messages you've sent in your sent
> folder.
>
> E. Scrooge

Thank you Scrooge, that's a load off my mind.

Geopelia

Rev. 9 11

On , , Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:54:01 +1200, Re: Will saved newsgroup
messages disappear?, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
wrote:

>"Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:6PJ4g.6592$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Help Please!
>> I have saved a lot of newsgroup messages in folders I have made. At
>> present they are all filed under "Sent items" in the Folders column on the
>> left, under Outlook Express -Local Folders - Sent items.
>> I also have folders for saved emails I have received, also filed under
>> Sent items.
>> ( Sent items was just a convenient place to put them, rather than under
>> Inbox)
>>
>> I could save them to My Documents, but although I could do it
>> individually, there doesn't seem any way on my computer to highlight a
>> bunch of them and save them, or save a whole folder, "save as" is greyed
>> when I try that. Export doesn't work either, I keep getting an error
>> message.
>>
>> I suppose the email messages will still be saved, but when xtra closes
>> down the newsgroups, will all these saved newsgroup messages disappear?
>>
>> Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's rather a worry, as there are so
>> many, and I'll have to move them all before the newsgroups close if xtra
>> is getting rid of them.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Geopelia

>What's saved on your hard drive will still stay on it. Unread headers from
>Xtra will be useless once Xtra shuts down, but your read messages that are
>saved will stay along with all messages you've sent in your sent folder.

Does OE regularly delete messages older than a certain date or if
they are unread after a certain date?
Agent does, I thought most other advanced newsreaders would.
---