Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Downstream effects of Xtra's decision to can newsgroups

Downstream effects of Xtra's decision to can newsgroups

Enkidu

All those of you switching providers because of this should check to
ensure that your new service provider does not get their feed from Xtra...

Cheers,

Cliff

Ralph Fox

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:27:53 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Enkidu wrote:

> All those of you switching providers because of this should check to
> ensure that your new service provider does not get their feed from Xtra...

Which are the ISPs' whose newsgroups service is dependant on Xtra's news server?

Paradise used to use Xtra's news server (through a proxy) but
changed ~5 years ago.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

"Curiosity skilled the cat."

stevesub

I have been using Google newgroups for over a year now. t is the best
free newsgroup service that I can find - any others still out there????
Clears servfice sucks.

Steve

Geopelia

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All those of you switching providers because of this should check to
> ensure that your new service provider does not get their feed from Xtra...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Why? Are xtra stopping newsgroups to their service provider customers, as
well as just the xtra home customers?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:03:26 +1200, Geopelia wrote:

> Why? Are xtra stopping newsgroups to their service provider customers, as
> well as just the xtra home customers?

Xtra is killing its nntp server. It won't have anything to provide to
anything.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Sue Bilstein

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:03:26 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> All those of you switching providers because of this should check to
>> ensure that your new service provider does not get their feed from Xtra...
>>

>Why? Are xtra stopping newsgroups to their service provider customers, as
>well as just the xtra home customers?

Of course. Otherwise they'd still have to maintain a news server and
do the replication of posts, which is where the expense comes in.

Dai Kiwi

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:04:08 +1200, Sue Bilstein
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:03:26 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>>"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> All those of you switching providers because of this should check to
>>> ensure that your new service provider does not get their feed from Xtra...
>>>

>>Why? Are xtra stopping newsgroups to their service provider customers, as
>>well as just the xtra home customers?
>>

>Of course. Otherwise they'd still have to maintain a news server and
>do the replication of posts, which is where the expense comes in.

Question is, what is the likely cost that Xtra reckon they're saving?
Lets think about this.

Daily traffic across usenet is supposed to be in the 4TB range, and on
the order of 99% of this is supposedly binaries. So excluding the
alt.binaries* & alt.warez* heirarchies should leave a newsfeed of
40GB/day required, with an average sustained feed of ~4Mbits/sec & a
peak capacity probably 3-4x that.

Assuming a quarter of this is spam & therefore stripped by filters
that leaves storage requirements of ~30GB/day. Keeping a month's
storage is therefore on the order of 1,000GB, which in a raid array
could be held on 10x 200GB disk drives. Double that to keep a backup.

Staff cost shouldn't need to be more than a couple of FTEs spread
among a number of existing staff (i.e. as well as being an XYZ you are
also a part-time news-admin)

Given Xtra's customer base I cannot believe that this is a significant
cost to Xtra or a significant drain on their bandwidth, hardware,
storage or staffing requirements.
--
Remove .NZ from address to reply

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Mon, 01 May 2006 22:54:13 +1200, Dai Kiwi wrote:

> Given Xtra's customer base I cannot believe that this is a significant
> cost to Xtra or a significant drain on their bandwidth, hardware,
> storage or staffing requirements.

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you on this point.

Given Xtra's installed user base what you say is a perfectly reasonable
and logical conclusion.

I get the impression, however, that Xtra's infrastructure simply cannot
cope with the degree of service its customers are asking for.

I think this is why Xtra does not deliver data transfer at its advertised
speeds. I think this is also why Xtra is scrapping its Usenet server.

I think it is substantially unable to provide internet connectivity at the
level now being asked of it.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Jamie Kahn Genet

stevesub <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been using Google newgroups for over a year now. t is the best
> free newsgroup service that I can find - any others still out there????
> Clears servfice sucks.
>
> Steve

Google's web interface sucks compared to any decent Usenet client, so
it's hardly an option for any serious Usenet junkie.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

kiwigal

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> stevesub <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have been using Google newgroups for over a year now. t is the best
> > free newsgroup service that I can find - any others still out there????
> > Clears servfice sucks.
> >
> > Steve

> Google's web interface sucks compared to any decent Usenet client, so
> it's hardly an option for any serious Usenet junkie.

I tried a 'decent usenet client' ages ago- recommended by people who
thought outlook was a joke- I found it troublesome- too many bits and
peices for me to figure. Made no differemce in the end because I
decided I didn't want NG messages in my inbox- regardless of the
newsserver- google suits me just fine.