Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wordpress

Wordpress

Shane

Blogging software
Requires
http://wordpress.org/about/requirements/
* PHP version 4.2 or greater
* MySQL version 3.23.23 or greater
and a webserver

Why? Because I dont *do* web pages for some $deity only knows reason, and I
want to put all my gathered knowledge (Both paragraphs) together for ease
of reference, and in case someone else finds the site and gains from those
paragraphs (even if they are lessons in what not to do!)

So.. any catches on this piece of software I should be aware of?
Any recommendations for *better* software?
TIA

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

-=rjh=-

Shane wrote:
> Blogging software
> Requires
> http://wordpress.org/about/requirements/
> * PHP version 4.2 or greater
> * MySQL version 3.23.23 or greater
> and a webserver
>
> Why? Because I dont *do* web pages for some $deity only knows reason, and I
> want to put all my gathered knowledge (Both paragraphs) together for ease
> of reference, and in case someone else finds the site and gains from those
> paragraphs (even if they are lessons in what not to do!)
>
> So.. any catches on this piece of software I should be aware of?
> Any recommendations for *better* software?
> TIA

Recommendations, yes. Try the free Wordpress service
(http://wordpress.com/), it is damn good. See if you like it. Also try
blogger/blogspot (http://www.blogger.com/start) - which is more
customisable I think - I've used both.

No reason to bother with your own server until you get really serious.
These services are extremely easy to use, and you can post to them from
almost any platform - PDA, phone, email, web, RSS etc and all good
reasons for using a publicly hosted server.

Using RSS you can mix a couple of blogs in with your own photos on
Flickr, your bookmarks on del.icio.us, files you store on openomy and
god knows what else and you can present these all as one mashup on your
own page on suprglu - for example http://rjhinde.suprglu.com/ which
might look familiar to some

Shane

-=rjh=- wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>> Blogging software
>> Requires
>> http://wordpress.org/about/requirements/
>> * PHP version 4.2 or greater
>> * MySQL version 3.23.23 or greater
>> and a webserver
>>
>> Why? Because I dont *do* web pages for some $deity only knows reason, and
>> I want to put all my gathered knowledge (Both paragraphs) together for
>> ease of reference, and in case someone else finds the site and gains from
>> those paragraphs (even if they are lessons in what not to do!)
>>
>> So.. any catches on this piece of software I should be aware of?
>> Any recommendations for *better* software?
>> TIA
>>

> Recommendations, yes. Try the free Wordpress service
> (http://wordpress.com/), it is damn good. See if you like it. Also try
> blogger/blogspot (http://www.blogger.com/start) - which is more
> customisable I think - I've used both.
>
> No reason to bother with your own server until you get really serious.
> These services are extremely easy to use, and you can post to them from
> almost any platform - PDA, phone, email, web, RSS etc and all good
> reasons for using a publicly hosted server.
>
> Using RSS you can mix a couple of blogs in with your own photos on
> Flickr, your bookmarks on del.icio.us, files you store on openomy and
> god knows what else and you can present these all as one mashup on your
> own page on suprglu - for example http://rjhinde.suprglu.com/ which
> might look familiar to some

awesome ta

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Shane

-=rjh=- wrote:

> Recommendations, yes. Try the free Wordpress service
> (http://wordpress.com/), it is damn good. See if you like it. Also try
> blogger/blogspot (http://www.blogger.com/start) - which is more
> customisable I think - I've used both.
>
> No reason to bother with your own server until you get really serious.
> These services are extremely easy to use, and you can post to them from
> almost any platform - PDA, phone, email, web, RSS etc and all good
> reasons for using a publicly hosted server.
>
> Using RSS you can mix a couple of blogs in with your own photos on
> Flickr, your bookmarks on del.icio.us, files you store on openomy and
> god knows what else and you can present these all as one mashup on your
> own page on suprglu - for example http://rjhinde.suprglu.com/ which
> might look familiar to some

Well I downloaded and installed it onto my debian box, installation
literally took 5 minutes (decompress the file, setup mysql database and
user, put the folder where I want it (ie relevant to doc root), and then
figure out why I was getting an error message "Your PHP installation
appears to be missing the MySQL which is required for WordPress")
After a bit of googling, people were saying that a line was missing from
php.ini, regarding mysql, so I loaded php.ini into vi, searched for ysql
and sure enough that line had been commented out, fix0red and restarted
apache2, and error disappeared, install continued.

Damn easy install... now I have to work out why I wanted it again!!!!

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

phocks@gmail.com

;extension=mysql.so

uncommented this line, seemed to work

Shane

> ;extension=mysql.so
>
> uncommented this line, seemed to work

Yeah thats the one

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Wordpress management from Python: do you know main bindings/modulesto automate Wordpress blogging from .py software? Aldo Ceccarelli Python 0 03-19-2009 03:36 PM
wordpress review Carolyn Marenger HTML 1 03-30-2006 07:16 PM
Re: How to paste python code on wordpress? Dan Lowe Python 1 11-22-2005 02:18 PM
Re: How to paste python code on wordpress? Dan Lowe Python 1 11-22-2005 09:52 AM
WordPress Python Library 1.0 Michele Ferretti Python 14 05-04-2005 06:38 PM

Advertisments