Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NNTP (News Groups)

NNTP (News Groups)

Collector»NZ

Those of us not with Telescums Xtra should also be concerned about the action
of Xtra in killing NNTP, it may provide the push and shove for other companies
to boot it as well.

It was not all that long ago that we had to do a major job of convincing Orcon
to retain NNTP.

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

~misfit~

Collector»NZ wrote:
> Those of us not with Telescums Xtra should also be concerned about
> the action of Xtra in killing NNTP, it may provide the push and shove
> for other companies to boot it as well.
>
> It was not all that long ago that we had to do a major job of
> convincing Orcon to retain NNTP.

Aye, I was very active in that one.

Face it, they don't like us to be able to communicate our dis-satisfacion in
a public place. Seems rather coincidental that, with all the negative things
said here about Xtra recently, that they choose now to close down their NNTP
sever. (And quickly too).

Paranoid? Who? Me?
--
Shaun.

thingy

~misfit~ wrote:
> Collector»NZ wrote:
>
>>Those of us not with Telescums Xtra should also be concerned about
>>the action of Xtra in killing NNTP, it may provide the push and shove
>>for other companies to boot it as well.
>>
>>It was not all that long ago that we had to do a major job of
>>convincing Orcon to retain NNTP.

> Aye, I was very active in that one.
>
> Face it, they don't like us to be able to communicate our dis-satisfacion in
> a public place. Seems rather coincidental that, with all the negative things
> said here about Xtra recently, that they choose now to close down their NNTP
> sever. (And quickly too).
>
> Paranoid? Who? Me?

Considering the cost in traffic and the hardware needed v the low number
of users it is not that surprising that it is being dis-continued....

I run a NNTP caching server and we have at most 5 users....

regards

Thing

colinco

In article thingy says...
> Considering the cost in traffic and the hardware needed v the low number
> of users it is not that surprising that it is being dis-continued....
>
> I run a NNTP caching server and we have at most 5 users....

So why are you bothering? Or do you tailor your caching to the users
needs?

MarkH

Collector»NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Those of us not with Telescums Xtra should also be concerned about the
> action of Xtra in killing NNTP, it may provide the push and shove for
> other companies to boot it as well.
>
> It was not all that long ago that we had to do a major job of
> convincing Orcon to retain NNTP.

That's why I don't rely on my ISP for newsgroups (or E-Mail). I like my
ISP being only needed to connect me to the internet, if someone else offers
a better deal then there is precious little holding be back from changing
from Orcon.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

J.Wilson

news:4451feba$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Collector»NZ wrote:
>> Those of us not with Telescums Xtra should also be concerned about
>> the action of Xtra in killing NNTP, it may provide the push and shove
>> for other companies to boot it as well.
>>
>> It was not all that long ago that we had to do a major job of
>> convincing Orcon to retain NNTP.

> Aye, I was very active in that one.
>
> Face it, they don't like us to be able to communicate our dis-satisfacion
> in a public place. Seems rather coincidental that, with all the negative
> things said here about Xtra recently, that they choose now to close down
> their NNTP sever. (And quickly too).
>
> Paranoid? Who? Me?
> --
> Shaun.

I find it surprising the number of people I meet who use the internet who
have
no idea that Usenet exists. It would be more popular if users simply knew
about. it.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 07:50:24 +1200, thingy wrote:

> I run a NNTP caching server and we have at most 5 users....

Who can use your NNTP server?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Peter Huebner

In article <Viw4g.6402$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> I find it surprising the number of people I meet who use the internet who
> have
> no idea that Usenet exists. It would be more popular if users simply knew
> about. it.

That's just it: most people don't even know about it. They think webforums are
the bee's knees and have no clue how poor an imitation those are.

Thing is, there are now also a lot of people working at ISP with the same
knowledge level. You wouldn't believe how many sales reps I had to talk to at
ICONZ before one could answer my question if they ran the service (no longer).
And she had to ask two of the teccie guys.

-P.

thingy

colinco wrote:
> In article thingy says...
>
>>Considering the cost in traffic and the hardware needed v the low number
>>of users it is not that surprising that it is being dis-continued....
>>
>>I run a NNTP caching server and we have at most 5 users....
>>

> So why are you bothering? Or do you tailor your caching to the users
> needs?

Historically we had a full nntp connection, but no one wanted to pay for
a decent connection when the feed needed renewing....so I leafnode
cached off our ISP, good enough for a handful of users.

regards

Thing

thingy

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 07:50:24 +1200, thingy wrote:
>

>>I run a NNTP caching server and we have at most 5 users....

> Who can use your NNTP server?
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Employees and clients.

regards