Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > P2P international port blocking?

P2P international port blocking?

Brett

Hi, a couple of questions I'm wondering about.

1/ I want to block/filter internation p2p traffic on my network.

Is there an easy why to do that?

1.b/ can I block/filter traffic to just me and my isp?

2/ could this block/filter work on the p2p's software out going files?

Smiles
Brett

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:45:49 -0700, Brett wrote:

> 1/ I want to block/filter internation p2p traffic on my network.
>
> Is there an easy why to do that?

Probaly not without blocking all ports other than the standard ports such
as 25, 80, etc.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

El Penguino

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:41:49 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:45:49 -0700, Brett wrote:
>
>> 1/ I want to block/filter internation p2p traffic on my network.
>>
>> Is there an easy why to do that?

>Probaly not without blocking all ports other than the standard ports such
>as 25, 80, etc.

Bit torrent works quite happily on port 25 or 80, behind a corporate
firewall ( ahem, I have heard). You may need something a tad smarter.

Stephen Worthington

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:41:23 +1200, El Penguino
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:41:49 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:45:49 -0700, Brett wrote:
>>
>>> 1/ I want to block/filter internation p2p traffic on my network.
>>>
>>> Is there an easy why to do that?

>>Probaly not without blocking all ports other than the standard ports such
>>as 25, 80, etc.

>Bit torrent works quite happily on port 25 or 80, behind a corporate
>firewall ( ahem, I have heard). You may need something a tad smarter.

Routers that track the protocol being used, regardless of the port
number, are readily available. They are not particularly cheap
though.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:12:12 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> Routers that track the protocol being used, regardless of the port
> number, are readily available. They are not particularly cheap
> though.

Are they effective even when the transmissions have been encrypted?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Brett

Have you got an applictaion names in mind that could manage that?

Stephen Worthington

On 28 Apr 2006 20:21:49 -0700, "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you got an applictaion names in mind that could manage that?

No, I am thinking of hardware routers. The usual big-name router
manufacturers all seem to have this sort of router available.

But it is quite likely that there is router software out there that
you can run on a BSD or Linux box that will do this too. Whether
there is freeware, I do not know - I think it is less likely.

Stephen Worthington

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:44:08 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:12:12 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
>> Routers that track the protocol being used, regardless of the port
>> number, are readily available. They are not particularly cheap
>> though.

>Are they effective even when the transmissions have been encrypted?
>

>Have A Nice Cup of Tea

That depends on the protocol and where the router is positioned in the
network. If the router can see the connection packets as the
encryption is established, then potentially it can see inside
encrypted connections. I do not know if real routers can do that, as
I have not used that sort of router myself and have not studied them
much. If you are really trying to tie things down tightly, then you
may need to block encrypted connections also, except for ones you want
to allow where both end IPs are know to the router as being safe.

Craig Whitmore

It
"Stephen Worthington" <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 28 Apr 2006 20:21:49 -0700, "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Have you got an applictaion names in mind that could manage that?

> No, I am thinking of hardware routers. The usual big-name router
> manufacturers all seem to have this sort of router available.
>
> But it is quite likely that there is router software out there that
> you can run on a BSD or Linux box that will do this too. Whether
> there is freeware, I do not know - I think it is less likely.

It is 100% possible on linux (as I have done it in the past and should be
reliable enough for most networks
(Layer 7 Linux)

Thanks
Craig

Brett

Thanks ALL I see now the direction I have to look. It may need a
change to P2P software, to have a realtime port trafic report and then
that report to be blocked or not.

Now where did I put the $20ooo develpore cheque..