Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Which ISP for best service and a free/discounted router?

Which ISP for best service and a free/discounted router?

Jamie Kahn Genet

Hi there.

I'm with Orcon who have become USELESS over the past year, so I'd like
to change. I need 3.5/512, good stable service and I'd love it if the
ISP gives me a free router or a discount on one.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Troggles

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I'm with Orcon who have become USELESS over the past year, so I'd like
> to change. I need 3.5/512, good stable service and I'd love it if the
> ISP gives me a free router or a discount on one.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

You know, and I wont be popular for saying this, but I have no problems
with xtra. Kinda goes against the grain around here, but if you just
want it to work......

they sent the pack, the modem, ran the disk and all hooked up. No sweat.

c u

Brett

I say Slingshot, but I'm not a IT pro.

Don't get the free modem, as that locks you into that isp for 12 months
or $100.

That's why it's a $100 fee modem, when you can buy them on trademe for
$15.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:01:55 +1200, Troggles wrote:

> You know, and I wont be popular for saying this, but I have no problems
> with xtra. Kinda goes against the grain around here, but if you just
> want it to work......
>
> they sent the pack, the modem, ran the disk and all hooked up. No sweat.

And now you'll need to use some other ISP to continue to have access to
Usenet.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

kriskirk@hotmail.com

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> And now you'll need to use some other ISP to continue to have access to
> Usenet.

Or use something like Google Groups. I used to use Forte Agent years
ago, but I'm pretty happy with GG (I only read a few newsgroups
though). What's the main advantage of using a news server? Is it just
easier to read everything with a separate news reader?

Kris

Matty F

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>
>>And now you'll need to use some other ISP to continue to have access to
>>Usenet.

> Or use something like Google Groups. I used to use Forte Agent years
> ago, but I'm pretty happy with GG (I only read a few newsgroups
> though). What's the main advantage of using a news server? Is it just
> easier to read everything with a separate news reader?

I have my newsreader set to instantly show new messages by
thread. I can mark messages to refer to later. I can instantly
sort by name or date or subject. I can mark threads and posters
to ignore. I don't have to use an email address that attracts a
huge amount of spam as soon as I make one post.
With a newsreader like Agent it's possible to download all new
posts and then go offline and read and type replies. That's
useful for those who can't afford to be online for long, or who
need to keep their phone line clear.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 01:58:29 -0700, kriskirk wrote:

> What's the main advantage of using a news server? Is it just
> easier to read everything with a separate news reader?

Much easier; Much faster; Much better; features for reading and responding
to other people's plain text messages using an NNTP client than viewing
HTML pages in a web browser.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea