Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra canning their news server?

Xtra canning their news server?

Crash

Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra users of
their nntp server:

-----

For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.

However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined and
there are now only a few hundred regular users.

Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May 3, we
will no longer provide the newsgroup service.

If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services available
such as gignews.com, or free services such as MSN Forums and Google Groups.

We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be affected
by this change.

Kind regards

The Team @ Xtra

-----

I prefer using an nntp client to a browser - any recommendations for an NZ based
nntp server (paid OK)?

Crash.

the POWER and the GLORY

And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.

Got a real link to share?

"Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KG04g.1133$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra users

of
> their nntp server:
>
> -----
>
> For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.
>
> However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined and
> there are now only a few hundred regular users.
>
> Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May 3,

we
> will no longer provide the newsgroup service.
>
> If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services

available
> such as gignews.com, or free services such as MSN Forums and Google

Groups.

> We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be

affected
> by this change.
>
> Kind regards
>
> The Team @ Xtra
>
> -----
>
> I prefer using an nntp client to a browser - any recommendations for an NZ

based
> nntp server (paid OK)?
>
> Crash.

Geopelia

"the POWER and the GLORY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ix14g.1488$(E-Mail Removed)...
> And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.
>
> Got a real link to share?
>
> "Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KG04g.1133$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra
>> users

> of
>> their nntp server:
>>
>> -----
>>
>> For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.
>>
>> However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined
>> and
>> there are now only a few hundred regular users.
>>
>> Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May 3,

> we
>> will no longer provide the newsgroup service.
>>
>> If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services

> available
>> such as gignews.com, or free services such as MSN Forums and Google

> Groups.
>>
>> We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be

> affected
>> by this change.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> The Team @ Xtra
>>
>> -----
>>
>> I prefer using an nntp client to a browser - any recommendations for an
>> NZ

> based
>> nntp server (paid OK)?
>>
>> Crash.

This message seems to be in all the newsgroups.

I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?
If so, what should I do?
I've had a look at Google Groups and Yahoo Groups, but I want one same as
this one, so easy to use.

Could someone tell me what to do please? I don't understand much technical
stuff.

Thank you
Geopelia

Craig Shore

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:31:14 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"the POWER and the GLORY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:ix14g.1488$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.
>>
>> Got a real link to share?
>>
>> "Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:KG04g.1133$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra
>>> users

>> of
>>> their nntp server:
>>>
>>> -----
>>>
>>> For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.
>>>
>>> However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined
>>> and
>>> there are now only a few hundred regular users.
>>>
>>> Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May 3,

>> we
>>> will no longer provide the newsgroup service.
>>>
>>> If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services

>> available
>>> such as gignews.com, or free services such as MSN Forums and Google

>> Groups.
>>>
>>> We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be

>> affected
>>> by this change.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> The Team @ Xtra
>>>
>>> -----
>>>
>>> I prefer using an nntp client to a browser - any recommendations for an
>>> NZ

>> based
>>> nntp server (paid OK)?
>>>
>>> Crash.

>This message seems to be in all the newsgroups.
>
>I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?
>If so, what should I do?
>I've had a look at Google Groups and Yahoo Groups, but I want one same as
>this one, so easy to use.
>
>Could someone tell me what to do please? I don't understand much technical
>stuff.

Changing ISP's from Xtra to someone that still has a news server would probably
be the best option. Next best thing would be to find a free news service, or
pay someone for one.

Ralph Fox

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:13:59 +1200, in message <ix14g.1488$(E-Mail Removed)>,
the POWER and the GLORY wrote:

> "Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KG04g.1133$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra users of
> > their nntp server:

Indeed so. They don't want to alert anyone else.

They haven't e-mailed their customers. I expect they want to alert
as few people as possible to how they are cutting service.

> And cross-posted to nl.naturisme

Maybe clumsy fingers -- they selected the wrong group

> and xtra.notgroup.

I expect that this is specifically to prevent the message from
propagating outside Xtra's news server.

> Got a real link to share?

If you want an original message which is visible outside Xtra's news
server, ask Xtra. I suspect Xtra might not oblige.

[Top posting corrected]

--
Cheers
Ralph Fox

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such an annoying thing?
A: Top-posting.

Geopelia

"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:31:14 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"the POWER and the GLORY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>message
>>news:ix14g.1488$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.
>>>
>>> Got a real link to share?
>>>
>>> "Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:KG04g.1133$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> of

>>> we

>>> available
>>> Groups.

>>> affected

>>> based

>>This message seems to be in all the newsgroups.
>>
>>I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?
>>If so, what should I do?
>>I've had a look at Google Groups and Yahoo Groups, but I want one same as
>>this one, so easy to use.
>>
>>Could someone tell me what to do please? I don't understand much technical
>>stuff.

> Changing ISP's from Xtra to someone that still has a news server would
> probably
> be the best option. Next best thing would be to find a free news service,
> or
> pay someone for one.

Thank you
Geopelia

Crash

Geopelia wrote:
[snip]
> I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?

Yes.

> If so, what should I do?
> I've had a look at Google Groups and Yahoo Groups, but I want one same as
> this one, so easy to use.
>
> Could someone tell me what to do please? I don't understand much technical
> stuff.

News.xtra.co.nz is what is known as an nntp (network news transmission protocol)
server. You are using Outlook Express and when you access anything to do with
Usenet (as opposed to email) OE is acting as an nntp client.

I share your view of sites like Google Groups and Yahoo Groups - where as I
understand it the only interface offered is through a browser (like Internet
Explorer) - there is no nntp server available from these sites.

Effectively you will need to find another nntp server to use. The problem is
that most of these servers are run by ISPs but only for their customers, so to
use another ISPs nntp server you will have to ditch Xtra and move to them. I
believe there are some 'public' nntp servers but I am sure all of them will
require payment as they have no funding from ISP fees (being public) and no (orb
little) ability to deliver advertising (although I suppose that could attach it
to every message when messages are read or downloaded). Like you I have not had
to consider this before so hopefully other posters will let us know public nntp
servers available.

Crash.

Crash

the POWER and the GLORY wrote:
> And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.
>
> Got a real link to share?

[snip]

No - it appears that the announcement is to users of the xtra server only (not
propagated outside) as a news message.

This means that only users of this server will see the message and be aware that
Xtra are withdrawing a service.

Crash.

Geopelia

"Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8sb4g.5616$(E-Mail Removed)...
> the POWER and the GLORY wrote:
>> And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.
>>
>> Got a real link to share?

> [snip]
>
> No - it appears that the announcement is to users of the xtra server only
> (not propagated outside) as a news message.
>
> This means that only users of this server will see the message and be
> aware that Xtra are withdrawing a service.
>
> Crash.

Folks are passing on the message all around the world by email, of course.
This will join the Fart Tax and give the rest of the world a good laugh!
Not so funny for us, unfortunately.

Geopelia

Geopelia

"Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7sb4g.5615$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geopelia wrote:
> [snip]
>> I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?

> Yes.
>
>> If so, what should I do?
>> I've had a look at Google Groups and Yahoo Groups, but I want one same as
>> this one, so easy to use.
>>
>> Could someone tell me what to do please? I don't understand much
>> technical stuff.

> News.xtra.co.nz is what is known as an nntp (network news transmission
> protocol) server. You are using Outlook Express and when you access
> anything to do with Usenet (as opposed to email) OE is acting as an nntp
> client.
>
> I share your view of sites like Google Groups and Yahoo Groups - where as
> I understand it the only interface offered is through a browser (like
> Internet Explorer) - there is no nntp server available from these sites.
>
> Effectively you will need to find another nntp server to use. The problem
> is that most of these servers are run by ISPs but only for their
> customers, so to use another ISPs nntp server you will have to ditch Xtra
> and move to them. I believe there are some 'public' nntp servers but I am
> sure all of them will require payment as they have no funding from ISP
> fees (being public) and no (orb little) ability to deliver advertising
> (although I suppose that could attach it to every message when messages
> are read or downloaded). Like you I have not had to consider this before
> so hopefully other posters will let us know public nntp servers available.
>
> Crash.

Thank you. I hope somebody will let us know. I'm going to have a look on
Google.

Geopelia