Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Whoo hoo

Whoo hoo

whoisthis

After waiting for 6 weeks I now have my MacBookPro.

Its a bit light on RAM, but I am putting in another 1G tomorrow, this
should allow Parallels to have a bit more RAM and thus run XP in a
virtual Machine somewhat faster.

All in all, thus far and damned nice piece of kit!

news.xtra.co.nz

"whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After waiting for 6 weeks I now have my MacBookPro.
>
> Its a bit light on RAM, but I am putting in another 1G tomorrow, this
> should allow Parallels to have a bit more RAM and thus run XP in a
> virtual Machine somewhat faster.
>
> All in all, thus far and damned nice piece of kit!

as good as my t43?

whoisthis

In article <skH3g.17037$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > After waiting for 6 weeks I now have my MacBookPro.
> >
> > Its a bit light on RAM, but I am putting in another 1G tomorrow, this
> > should allow Parallels to have a bit more RAM and thus run XP in a
> > virtual Machine somewhat faster.
> >
> > All in all, thus far and damned nice piece of kit!

> as good as my t43?

No idea, I am a Mac person and only use windoze for doing CAD work.

However the benchmark results I saw showed that when it was booted
directly into XP it was overall the fastest laptop for running Photoshop.

I will see tomorrow how much the extra ram will help with the virtual
machine. (The CAD software I use wants 512Mb+)

news.xtra.co.nz

"whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <skH3g.17037$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > After waiting for 6 weeks I now have my MacBookPro.
>> >
>> > Its a bit light on RAM, but I am putting in another 1G tomorrow, this
>> > should allow Parallels to have a bit more RAM and thus run XP in a
>> > virtual Machine somewhat faster.
>> >
>> > All in all, thus far and damned nice piece of kit!

>> as good as my t43?

> No idea, I am a Mac person and only use windoze for doing CAD work.
>
> However the benchmark results I saw showed that when it was booted
> directly into XP it was overall the fastest laptop for running Photoshop.
>
> I will see tomorrow how much the extra ram will help with the virtual
> machine. (The CAD software I use wants 512Mb+)

i upgraded from my dell 8100 notebook, to the ibm t43 and the performance
increase was good. You always notice a 'snappiness' in the new machines
interface.

Although, I may replace the 5400rpm drive with a 7200.