Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft dismisses OpenOffice password removal

Microsoft dismisses OpenOffice password removal

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...ses-openoffice

"" John McCreesh, marketing project co-lead for OpenOffice.org, said that
the removal of protection passwords from Excel files was a feature of
Calc, not a bug. He argued that OpenOffice users are warned that saving
in the Excel format will remove the password. But he could not say how
Excel users who create a file that will be used by others can protect
hidden information from OpenOffice users. ""

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:10:11 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...ses-openoffice
>
>"" John McCreesh, marketing project co-lead for OpenOffice.org, said that
>the removal of protection passwords from Excel files was a feature of
>Calc, not a bug. He argued that OpenOffice users are warned that saving
>in the Excel format will remove the password. But he could not say how
>Excel users who create a file that will be used by others can protect
>hidden information from OpenOffice users. ""

Is that a new Tui's ad?

"It's a feature, not a bug!!" Yeah, right...

Nik Coughlin

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...ses-openoffice

I really don't like the sound of this:

"He pointed out that the next version of Office, 2007 will include a
beefed-up set of Information Rights Management tools, which will offer a
higher level of security. Microsoft claims it will prevent screengrabs from
being taken of sensitive documents."

Allistar

Nik Coughlin wrote:

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...ses-openoffice

> I really don't like the sound of this:
>
> "He pointed out that the next version of Office, 2007 will include a
> beefed-up set of Information Rights Management tools, which will offer a
> higher level of security. Microsoft claims it will prevent screengrabs
> from being taken of sensitive documents."

There is no one to prevent screengrabs completely. Options are:

- run in virtualisation software, like VMWare. Screengrab that.
- run in remote access software, like Terminal Services, Citrix, VNC. Screen
grab that.
- take a photo of the screen with a camera.
- open the document in a different viewer, assuming there will be any that
could handle the new format. That different viewer could be on a different
OS with out the same "DRM" nonsense.

This is as silling as trying to prevent people from copying music files.

Allistar.

Nicholas Sherlock

Allistar wrote:
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...ses-openoffice
>> I really don't like the sound of this:
>>
>> "He pointed out that the next version of Office, 2007 will include a
>> beefed-up set of Information Rights Management tools, which will offer a
>> higher level of security. Microsoft claims it will prevent screengrabs
>> from being taken of sensitive documents."

> There is no one to prevent screengrabs completely. Options are:

They might manage it with that hardware protected digital display path
that is used for hidef movies. But it would make the document be
unreadable in all of the cases that you mention (And require a display
that supports it), so it wouldn't be a very nice feature!

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

--
http://www.sherlocksoftware.org

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:10:11 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)>
>exclaimed:
>
>>http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...osoft-dismisse

>s-openoffice
>>
>>"" John McCreesh, marketing project co-lead for OpenOffice.org, said that
>>the removal of protection passwords from Excel files was a feature of
>>Calc, not a bug. He argued that OpenOffice users are warned that saving
>>in the Excel format will remove the password. But he could not say how
>>Excel users who create a file that will be used by others can protect
>>hidden information from OpenOffice users. ""

>Is that a new Tui's ad?
>
>"It's a feature, not a bug!!" Yeah, right...

Doesn't really matter. There are plenty of password removers out there that
work without OO. Anyone that thinks and XL sheet is secure is deluding
themselves

Bruce

(if there were any)

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:21:24 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>> http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...ses-openoffice
>>

> I really don't like the sound of this:
>
> "He pointed out that the next version of Office, 2007 will include a
> beefed-up set of Information Rights Management tools, which will offer a
> higher level of security. Microsoft claims it will prevent screengrabs from
> being taken of sensitive documents."

I offer no comment other than, people will get Vi$ta and M$ Office 2007,
and they will bitch and moan about it, but they will STILL not change to
something else!

AND, on top of that, they will bitch about people suggesting that they
should change to something else.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Invisible

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:24:02 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:21:24 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>>> http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...ses-openoffice
>>>

>> I really don't like the sound of this:
>>
>> "He pointed out that the next version of Office, 2007 will include a
>> beefed-up set of Information Rights Management tools, which will offer a
>> higher level of security. Microsoft claims it will prevent screengrabs from
>> being taken of sensitive documents."

>I offer no comment other than, people will get Vi$ta and M$ Office 2007,
>and they will bitch and moan about it, but they will STILL not change to
>something else!
>
>AND, on top of that, they will bitch about people suggesting that they
>should change to something else.

AND, you bitch about it and you won't use it!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:04:48 +1200, Invisible wrote:

> AND, you bitch about it and you won't use it!

Yup. )

I won't use it at home, but need to use it at work.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea