Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USA Congress readies new digital copyright bill that extends DMCA

USA Congress readies new digital copyright bill that extends DMCA

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

http://news.com.com/2102-1028_3-6064...=st.util.print

"" The 24-page bill is a far-reaching medley of different proposals
cobbled together. One would, for instance, create a new federal crime of
just trying to commit copyright infringement. Such willful attempts at
piracy, even if they fail, could be punished by up to 10 years in prison. ""

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Peter

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> http://news.com.com/2102-1028_3-6064...=st.util.print
> "" The 24-page bill is a far-reaching medley of different proposals
> cobbled together. One would, for instance, create a new federal crime of
> just trying to commit copyright infringement. Such willful attempts at
> piracy, even if they fail, could be punished by up to 10 years in prison.
> ""

Just as well Shakespeare got all his work done before these laws were
effective. Just like all great artists, he built on the works of others.
Issac Newton, who saw further because he stood on the shoulders of giants.
Ditto, Albert Einstein who says his theory of relativity was built on
Maxwell's field equations. Ditto for the great composers, et al.

Bringing these draconian copyright and patent laws in is very good for the
big corporations and their lawyers. It keeps out new competitors,
innovations and other factors that might erode revenue streams. Of course,
it is just a coincidence that these corporates and lawyers are among the
top funders of US political parties.

They may stop innovation and artistic flair in USA (and subsidiary countries
like UK and Aust), which will be good news for the developing world, who
can then overtake them in terms of technical and cultural progress (and
standards of living).

The question is which path will NZ take?

Peter

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:12:16 +1200, Peter wrote:

> The question is which path will NZ take?

So far we haven't followed the USA like Australia did.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Matthew Poole

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:12:16 +1200, someone purporting to be Peter didst
scrawl:

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

*SNIP*
> They may stop innovation and artistic flair in USA (and subsidiary countries
> like UK and Aust), which will be good news for the developing world, who
> can then overtake them in terms of technical and cultural progress (and
> standards of living).
>
> The question is which path will NZ take?

Why do you think I'm so absolutely anti any FTA with the US? Because such
an agreement will undoubtedly come with hooks relating to "aligning"
copyright law.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Philip

Peter wrote:
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>> http://news.com.com/2102-1028_3-6064...=st.util.print
>> "" The 24-page bill is a far-reaching medley of different proposals
>> cobbled together. One would, for instance, create a new federal crime of
>> just trying to commit copyright infringement. Such willful attempts at
>> piracy, even if they fail, could be punished by up to 10 years in prison.
>> ""

> Just as well Shakespeare got all his work done before these laws were
> effective. Just like all great artists, he built on the works of others.
> Issac Newton, who saw further because he stood on the shoulders of giants.
> Ditto, Albert Einstein who says his theory of relativity was built on
> Maxwell's field equations. Ditto for the great composers, et al.
>
> Bringing these draconian copyright and patent laws in is very good for the
> big corporations and their lawyers. It keeps out new competitors,
> innovations and other factors that might erode revenue streams. Of course,
> it is just a coincidence that these corporates and lawyers are among the
> top funders of US political parties.
>
> They may stop innovation and artistic flair in USA (and subsidiary countries
> like UK and Aust), which will be good news for the developing world, who
> can then overtake them in terms of technical and cultural progress (and
> standards of living).
>
> The question is which path will NZ take?

So long as we don't fall for the blandishments of a "free trade"
agreement with the USA, we are free to follow whatever path we choose. I
hope we stay that way. Fortunately, the Americans seem unlikely to be
interested in such an agreement for quite different reasons.

Philip

Bettę Noir

On , , Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:12:16 +1200, Re: USA Congress readies
new digital copyright bill that extends DMCA, Peter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>> http://news.com.com/2102-1028_3-6064...=st.util.print
>> "" The 24-page bill is a far-reaching medley of different proposals
>> cobbled together. One would, for instance, create a new federal crime of
>> just trying to commit copyright infringement. Such willful attempts at
>> piracy, even if they fail, could be punished by up to 10 years in prison.
>> ""

>Just as well Shakespeare got all his work done before these laws were
>effective. Just like all great artists, he built on the works of others.
>Issac Newton, who saw further because he stood on the shoulders of giants.
>Ditto, Albert Einstein who says his theory of relativity was built on
>Maxwell's field equations. Ditto for the great composers, et al.
>
>Bringing these draconian copyright and patent laws in is very good for the
>big corporations and their lawyers. It keeps out new competitors,
>innovations and other factors that might erode revenue streams. Of course,
>it is just a coincidence that these corporates and lawyers are among the
>top funders of US political parties.
>
>They may stop innovation and artistic flair

Genuine innovative artists don't need to steal others work.
in USA (and subsidiary countries

---

Jo

"Bettę Noir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Genuine innovative artists don't need to steal others work.
> in USA (and subsidiary countries
>
> ---

what about improving on?