Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WARNING: TelstraClear cable traffic charging

WARNING: TelstraClear cable traffic charging

Ross Dawson

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:37:48 +1200, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:45:19 +1200, David
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >Yes. Have had full 2Mbs (& even higher) in speed tests many times. eg. just
>> >a few minutes ago on NZDSL site ie. at peak time:
>> >
>> >Download Speed: 4943 kbps (617.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
>> >Upload Speed: 2503 kbps (312.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
>> >
>> >Download Speed: 6796 kbps (849.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
>> >Upload Speed: 2408 kbps (301 KB/sec transfer rate)
>> >
>> >Download Speed: 6905 kbps (863.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
>> >Upload Speed: 2409 kbps (301.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
>> >
>> >http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/index.php?module=Speedtest
>> >
>> >Normally get 8500+ kbs down but I have 2 sons currently on other PCs who
>> >are likely diverting some DL capacity. Ours is 10Mbs / 2Mbs, but that
>> >should not affect the upload speed.
>> >
>> >###
>> >
>> >Re the other issue - our usage is pretty much as we expected; ie.
>> >consistent with what we have downloaded. No surprises so far. The fact
>> >that all traffic would be charged for at full rate was reasonably well
>> >identified beforehand. I assumed that was the reason for the 4-5 fold
>> >increase in cap for most plans.
>> >
>> >David
>> >

>> Ok, as far as being aware of the split dissappearing this wasn't made
>> clear to me at the time of signup, nor was the fact that local traffic
>> (to and from their servers) was also now going to be counted.
>>
>> Their music page by the way if I hadn't made it clear before is now
>> very definitely being counted.
>>
>> However since the increase in data cap I am now quite happy with what
>> I have.

>I haven't changed yet - I guess they'll force me to soon enough. The
>music page (fuken crap that it is - 2 channels of 11? is it - available
>only) - is still 'free' (I hope) for me.

Hi Duncan.

Best check out their music page and make sure it is still free for
you.

I really wish someone who can modifies that web page to reflect the
true state of affairs.

Mind you I wonder how much longer Paradise as a brand will survive, at
it's present rate of service satisfaction I would suspect not that
much longer.

--
Cheers for now

Ross Dawson.