Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > msn HELPPPP!!!!!

msn HELPPPP!!!!!

Robin Halligan

Hi everyone I have done something stupid and i am not sure what it was

I can now not get MSN to work
when i start it the whole system slowes to a crawl 1.8 Ghz to about 3 hz
(or so it seems) every thing seems to be taken up in the slowdown ( though
i can move the mouse alright if i click on some thing it might take as much
as 3 minuets till the puter reacts to the click.

Now i think i did something when i was following some instructions in a
computer mag to trim out unnecessary things to make the operating system
run better unfortunately i cannot remember what it was that killed things,
the system runs well if i do not run msn, does this prob sound familiar to
anyone?

1.8 Ghz Celeron
256 mg ram
Xp home (sp2)

--
A man that expects to train lobsters to fly in a year is called a lunatic
and is locked up. But a man that thinks people can be turned into angels by

Shane

Robin Halligan wrote:

> Hi everyone I have done something stupid and i am not sure what it was
>
> I can now not get MSN to work
> when i start it the whole system slowes to a crawl 1.8 Ghz to about 3 hz
> (or so it seems) every thing seems to be taken up in the slowdown ( though
> i can move the mouse alright if i click on some thing it might take as
> much as 3 minuets till the puter reacts to the click.
>
> Now i think i did something when i was following some instructions in a
> computer mag to trim out unnecessary things to make the operating system
> run better unfortunately i cannot remember what it was that killed things,
> the system runs well if i do not run msn, does this prob sound familiar to
> anyone?
>
> 1.8 Ghz Celeron
> 256 mg ram
> Xp home (sp2)

Oh ****
If you cant go back and undo everything you did, to a point where its good
again.. your best bet is backup all your data and reinstall

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Magic Marker

"Robin Halligan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r3zdxyk330ld$.hcy2jqbz0ubm$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi everyone I have done something stupid and i am not sure what it was
>
> I can now not get MSN to work
> when i start it the whole system slowes to a crawl 1.8 Ghz to about 3 hz
> (or so it seems) every thing seems to be taken up in the slowdown ( though
> i can move the mouse alright if i click on some thing it might take as
> much
> as 3 minuets till the puter reacts to the click.
>
> Now i think i did something when i was following some instructions in a
> computer mag to trim out unnecessary things to make the operating system
> run better unfortunately i cannot remember what it was that killed things,
> the system runs well if i do not run msn, does this prob sound familiar to
> anyone?
>
> 1.8 Ghz Celeron
> 256 mg ram
> Xp home (sp2)
>

> --
> A man that expects to train lobsters to fly in a year is called a lunatic
> and is locked up. But a man that thinks people can be turned into angels
> by
> legislation is called a reformer and allowed to walk free

Try uninstalling MSN Messenger, re-downloading it from
http://messenger.msn.com and then re-installing. With a little luck that
process might undo the registry snafu. Another idea is to pop up the Task
Manager by hitting Alt-Ctrl-Del and then select the Processes tab. Then
launch MSN and see what's slowing the system to a crawl by clicking on the
column headings to sort by RAM and CPU usage. You'll find a process or app
which is either hogging all the CPU or all the RAM. If you can post back
here and let us know which process it is we can probably find a fix for you

Rebel Lion

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:22:03 +1200, Robin Halligan wrote:

> Hi everyone I have done something stupid and i am not sure what it was
>
> I can now not get MSN to work
> when i start it the whole system slowes to a crawl 1.8 Ghz to about 3 hz
> (or so it seems) every thing seems to be taken up in the slowdown ( though
> i can move the mouse alright if i click on some thing it might take as much
> as 3 minuets till the puter reacts to the click.
>
> Now i think i did something when i was following some instructions in a
> computer mag to trim out unnecessary things to make the operating system
> run better unfortunately i cannot remember what it was that killed things,
> the system runs well if i do not run msn, does this prob sound familiar to
> anyone?

Try rolling back if that is not possible then you could try and see if
amsn will work granted its not the featurefull read bloatware of msn
messenger but it does work well..
http://amsn.sourceforge.net

Robin Halligan

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:57:52 +1200, Magic Marker wrote:

> Try uninstalling MSN Messenger, re-downloading it from
> http://messenger.msn.com and then re-installing. With a little luck that
> process might undo the registry snafu.

tried that unfortunately it didnąt help
I also tried to roll back and that didnąt help.

> Another idea is to pop up the Task
> Manager by hitting Alt-Ctrl-Del and then select the Processes tab. Then
> launch MSN and see what's slowing the system to a crawl by clicking on the
> column headings to sort by RAM and CPU usage. You'll find a process or app
> which is either hogging all the CPU or all the RAM. If you can post back
> here and let us know which process it is we can probably find a fix for you

Ok tried that the only thing that changed was smc.exe
went from a cpu of 02 to 76

I don't want to have to reload but if that is the only option i will do it.
thanks for the response people.

--
Richie: Now Eddie, crackers?
Eddie: Yes. But it's never stopped me so far.

Magic Marker

"Robin Halligan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wfhfwa1f6t55$.105dgwqd0nljf$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:57:52 +1200, Magic Marker wrote:
>

>> Try uninstalling MSN Messenger, re-downloading it from
>> http://messenger.msn.com and then re-installing. With a little luck that
>> process might undo the registry snafu.

> tried that unfortunately it didnąt help
> I also tried to roll back and that didnąt help.
>
>> Another idea is to pop up the Task
>> Manager by hitting Alt-Ctrl-Del and then select the Processes tab. Then
>> launch MSN and see what's slowing the system to a crawl by clicking on
>> the
>> column headings to sort by RAM and CPU usage. You'll find a process or
>> app
>> which is either hogging all the CPU or all the RAM. If you can post back
>> here and let us know which process it is we can probably find a fix for
>> you

> Ok tried that the only thing that changed was smc.exe
> went from a cpu of 02 to 76
>
> I don't want to have to reload but if that is the only option i will do
> it.
> thanks for the response people.
>
> --
> Richie: Now Eddie, crackers?
> Eddie: Yes. But it's never stopped me so far.
> Richie: No, I mean have you got the crackers?
> Eddie: No, it's just the way my trousers hang.
> Richie: Eddie, enough of the crackers jokes.
> Eddie: All right.
> Richie: I'm talking about the things you put in your hand and pull.
> Eddie: Well I've got one of those, but I'm not gonna stick it on the
> table!
> Bottom

Looks like you might be using the Sygate firewall and might have screwed it
up during the registry cleanup. Are you able to re-install it ?

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/smc.exe.html

Enkidu

Robin Halligan wrote:
> Hi everyone I have done something stupid and i am not sure what it was
>
> I can now not get MSN to work
> when i start it the whole system slowes to a crawl 1.8 Ghz to about 3 hz
> (or so it seems) every thing seems to be taken up in the slowdown ( though
> i can move the mouse alright if i click on some thing it might take as much
> as 3 minuets till the puter reacts to the click.
>
> Now i think i did something when i was following some instructions in a
> computer mag to trim out unnecessary things to make the operating system
> run better unfortunately i cannot remember what it was that killed things,
> the system runs well if i do not run msn, does this prob sound familiar to
> anyone?
>
> 1.8 Ghz Celeron
> 256 mg ram
> Xp home (sp2)

What 'Magic Cracker' says. Though Sygate Personal Firewall has been
taken over by Symantec, so I hope you kept the install file....

When you get the slowdown, you could try killing smc.exe from the Task
Manager. If everything comes to life, you know the cause of the problem.

If all else fails you could try a 'repair' of the OS from the install
disk. Of course if you have one of those machines with a vendor supplied
'recovery' disk you won't be able to repair your OS and if you 'recover'
the system you will lose everything. So don't do that!

I would not advise, under any circumstances "following some instructions
in a computer mag". There's way too many things that can go wrong, and
some sets of instructions looked downright dangerous! As you have found,
using these 'speed up' instructions can make the machine perform worse.

Cheers,

Cliff

Robin Halligan

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:37:08 +1200, Magic Marker wrote:

> Looks like you might be using the Sygate firewall and might have screwed it
> up during the registry cleanup. Are you able to re-install it ?
> http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/smc.exe.html

Ok tried that works good now i killed the firewall, and as in am running
through ICS through my wifes puter and she is running a fire wall (same
one) i can use that (till 05/05 when i get broardband) and i have the
firewall on a magazine disc so i can install it again.

Thanks for everyones comments and help (I love this group).

--
"Any sufficiently advanced political correctness is indistinguishable from
irony."