Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anybody played about with webcams as security cams?

Anybody played about with webcams as security cams?

El Penguino

Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!

Is the quality any good under such conditions?
Any recommendations for motion sensitive software or other techniques
to avoid trawling through hours of footage for the elusive dumper?

Cheers,
Chris

TEX

El Penguino wrote:
> Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
> the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!
>
> Is the quality any good under such conditions?
> Any recommendations for motion sensitive software or other techniques
> to avoid trawling through hours of footage for the elusive dumper?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

most webcams use cmos based lens, which are not really up to the cctv
standards, but still work. teamed up a ir luminator it would do the job
you want. Easiest is to just buy one of the many cheap and nasty ir
cameras they selling on trademe (atleast the are ccd based) and connect
it to you tv capture card in your comp. Or just by a one of those pico
$30 cards.

The software is not that great, but does show a timeline of when motion
is detected. The hardware combo i use, you just draw a box on the screen
around the area where the dog has made a dump (for example) and it it
find the footage for when it was done. None of that BS hours of trawling
through footage.

Plenty of software around, but i have yet to find one that does what my
software does.

Let me knwo what you come up with.

TEX

bonspiel@orcon.net.nz

And hook it up to a shotgun.

See all you need to know about Helen Klark and the Maoist feminazis who
run NZ at http://bonspiel.orcon.net.nz

El Penguino

On 20 Apr 2006 05:48:48 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>And hook it up to a shotgun.

Tempting, but I need a non-lethal solution to my problem. A pretty boy
like me wouldnt last 5 minutes in the big house

sharktbbtfy

El Penguino wrote:
> Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
> the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!
>
> Is the quality any good under such conditions?
> Any recommendations for motion sensitive software or other techniques
> to avoid trawling through hours of footage for the elusive dumper?

Motion sensitive?

The mind boggles!

--
Sharktbbtfy

Matty F

El Penguino wrote:
> Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
> the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!

I used to find a pile of dog crap by my letterbox each morning.
I trimmed the tree and pointed my sensor light at the letterbox.
Next morning the light went on and I saw an old guy and dog
scurry off. He used to allow his dog to do that when he walked
his dog in the dark, but he's not done it again.

I have an old Sony handycam that chews up tapes, but the picture
is excellent when I connect it to a TV. I do have some kind of TV
capture card but I have no idea how to use it to record only
where there is movement.

Snufkin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
El Penguino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
> the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!
>
> Is the quality any good under such conditions?
> Any recommendations for motion sensitive software or other techniques
> to avoid trawling through hours of footage for the elusive dumper?

It annoys me that the solution is so near yet so far: A digital still
camera 3-4MP to get respectable enlargement*, fixed focus (38mm), auto
exposure, motion sensitive (adjustable) to take an image if something
moves in front of it, images stored on conventional card, but when the
card fills, the oldest image is deleted. No need for much of a rear
screen, but it does need an external power socket for mains adaptor or
solar charges batteries. No need for cunning IR LEDs, just have a
conventional PIR security light illuminating the general area at night.

It can be installed (concealed) and forgotten about** until something
goes wrong when you retrieve the card to see who's been lurking about in
the last day/week/whatever.

Such a device could be sold 2-3+ to every home, shop, school, and
service station in the world. They could be manufactured in huge
numbers, bringing the price to under $50, easy. Burglary would cease to
be a career option, as even if they conceal their face near the house,
they could have been picked up when they were checking out the house
next door.

I have seen something like it, for farmers, but at $800 they're in brick
balloon territory.

Siiiigh!! We just have to wait for some Chinese entrepreneur to twig to
the vast profits waiting.

* to avoid the nonsense of video security cams that are hard-pressed to
tell the difference between Arnie and R2D2.

** apart from clearing cobwebs from the lens occasionally.

--
Snufkin

~misfit~

sharktbbtfy wrote:
> El Penguino wrote:
>> Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
>> the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!
>>
>> Is the quality any good under such conditions?
>> Any recommendations for motion sensitive software or other techniques
>> to avoid trawling through hours of footage for the elusive dumper?

> Motion sensitive?
>
> The mind boggles!

LMAO!!!
--
~Shaun~

El Penguino

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:51:16 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>sharktbbtfy wrote:
>> El Penguino wrote:
>>> Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
>>> the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!
>>>
>>> Is the quality any good under such conditions?
>>> Any recommendations for motion sensitive software or other techniques
>>> to avoid trawling through hours of footage for the elusive dumper?

>> Motion sensitive?
>>
>> The mind boggles!

>LMAO!!!

I think I found "gotcha" security software. All I need now is a crack.

El Penguino

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:29:14 +1200, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>El Penguino wrote:
>> Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
>> the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!

>I used to find a pile of dog crap by my letterbox each morning.
>I trimmed the tree and pointed my sensor light at the letterbox.
>Next morning the light went on and I saw an old guy and dog
>scurry off. He used to allow his dog to do that when he walked
>his dog in the dark, but he's not done it again.
>
>I have an old Sony handycam that chews up tapes, but the picture
>is excellent when I connect it to a TV. I do have some kind of TV
>capture card but I have no idea how to use it to record only
>where there is movement.

You could use a PIR detector and a VCR. Wire the PIR NO contact across
the REC button and hey presto. Maybe even use a DPDT relay so you can
also wire the 2nd set of contacts across the stop button.

Alas, I dont have an old handycam....