Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > external hd problem

external hd problem

Fred Dagg

Hello All
running windows xp
The external hard drive i have used to work perfectly. Had a crash,
reinstalled XP home
and now the maxtor 120gb HD refuses to turn up in windows explorer
It shows up in device manager and in the system tray theres a wee "safely
remove hardware" icon and its listed inside there.

Inside "Disk Management" it shows up but is listed as "disk1" (under my c
drive) but has no logical drive name.
I try and give it a name ("change drive letter and paths") and format it etc
and reboot and it refuses to show up in Windows explorer...
can anyone suggest what i might try?

cheers
John

thingy

Fred Dagg wrote:
> Hello All
> running windows xp
> The external hard drive i have used to work perfectly. Had a crash,
> reinstalled XP home
> and now the maxtor 120gb HD refuses to turn up in windows explorer
> It shows up in device manager and in the system tray theres a wee "safely
> remove hardware" icon and its listed inside there.
>
> Inside "Disk Management" it shows up but is listed as "disk1" (under my c
> drive) but has no logical drive name.
> I try and give it a name ("change drive letter and paths") and format it etc
> and reboot and it refuses to show up in Windows explorer...
> can anyone suggest what i might try?
>
> cheers
> John

Different machine?

regards

Thing

Fred Dagg

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44482eaf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fred Dagg wrote:
>> Hello All
>> running windows xp
>> The external hard drive i have used to work perfectly. Had a crash,
>> reinstalled XP home
>> and now the maxtor 120gb HD refuses to turn up in windows explorer
>> It shows up in device manager and in the system tray theres a wee "safely
>> remove hardware" icon and its listed inside there.
>>
>> Inside "Disk Management" it shows up but is listed as "disk1" (under my c
>> drive) but has no logical drive name.
>> I try and give it a name ("change drive letter and paths") and format it
>> etc
>> and reboot and it refuses to show up in Windows explorer...
>> can anyone suggest what i might try?
>>
>> cheers
>> John
>>

> Different machine?

as in "get a new one?"

thingy

Fred Dagg wrote:
> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44482eaf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Fred Dagg wrote:
>>
>>>Hello All
>>>running windows xp
>>>The external hard drive i have used to work perfectly. Had a crash,
>>>reinstalled XP home
>>>and now the maxtor 120gb HD refuses to turn up in windows explorer
>>>It shows up in device manager and in the system tray theres a wee "safely
>>>remove hardware" icon and its listed inside there.
>>>
>>>Inside "Disk Management" it shows up but is listed as "disk1" (under my c
>>>drive) but has no logical drive name.
>>>I try and give it a name ("change drive letter and paths") and format it
>>>etc
>>>and reboot and it refuses to show up in Windows explorer...
>>>can anyone suggest what i might try?
>>>
>>>cheers
>>>John
>>>

>>Different machine?
>>

> as in "get a new one?"

As in plug it into someone elses machine see if it is OK....also
wondering if it is a "security feature" somewhere in XP....

regards

Thing