Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TV-advert enforcer patented

TV-advert enforcer patented

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...-enforcer.html

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Andreas Girardet: "In Suse, there are about 15,000 to 20,000
developers working on the project, and internally at Novell

thingy

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...-enforcer.html
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

heh...

".....that this may be "greatly resented by viewers"....."

LOL.....I can see it now, they missed a bit....all viewers will have to
have rfid tags (you know the ones going into kids for "safety reasons")
so that if you go to the toilet, the unit detects this and suspends the
adverts until you return.....

Wait one, lets go even further....

Also the rfid tags mean the adverts are tied to you, you have to fill in
forms with demographic info so that adverts can be targeted at you....

Wait even better.....

The rfids also return electronic signals from your brain so that the
advertisers can measure the effectiveness of the advert....

Wait yet again.............

Better yet, add into the rfids to put voltages into you brain making you
purchase instantly.....no matter what your debt levels......

buy....

buy....

buy....

Welcome to 1984.....

Wait........I wonder if I can patent those ideas?

Better be quick and GPL them........

;]

FFS, I have not replaced my TV because, these clowns have ruined films
with adverts.....

Lets see, no one wants zoned dvd players, would anyone buy a unit that
enforced this?

Cant see it myself....

See CofT, think forward....trends, be there before anybody else....

;]

regards

Thing

Chris Hope

thingy wrote:

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...-enforcer.html

> ".....that this may be "greatly resented by viewers"....."

[snip]

> Lets see, no one wants zoned dvd players, would anyone buy a unit that
> enforced this?
>
> Cant see it myself....

[snip]

I can't see why anyone would buy this myself, unless it was the only
sort of TV you could buy.

One of the really stupid things about it is, what if you want to to
change the channel when the ads come on because you want to watch a
programme on the other channel? Too bad, must sit through the ads
before you can switch over...

Mark Robinson

thingy wrote:
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>> http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...-enforcer.html

> heh...
> ".....that this may be "greatly resented by viewers"....."
> LOL.....I can see it now, they missed a bit....all viewers will have to
> have rfid tags (you know the ones going into kids for "safety reasons")
> so that if you go to the toilet, the unit detects this and suspends the
> adverts until you return.....
> Wait one, lets go even further....
> Also the rfid tags mean the adverts are tied to you, you have to fill in
> forms with demographic info so that adverts can be targeted at you....
> Wait even better.....
> The rfids also return electronic signals from your brain so that the
> advertisers can measure the effectiveness of the advert....
> Wait yet again.............
> Better yet, add into the rfids to put voltages into you brain making you
> purchase instantly.....no matter what your debt levels......
> buy....
> buy....
> buy....
> Welcome to 1984.....
> Wait........I wonder if I can patent those ideas?
> Better be quick and GPL them........
> ;]
> FFS, I have not replaced my TV because, these clowns have ruined films
> with adverts.....

And TVone is so stupid they still fill films up with MORONIC self-promotion,
even on Easter Sunday when all other advertising is banned. They have no clue
about presentation, or goodwill which is not achieved by bludgeoning viewers
about the head. I bet they claim the self-promotion as charter programming.

> Lets see, no one wants zoned dvd players, would anyone buy a unit that
> enforced this?
> Cant see it myself....
> See CofT, think forward....trends, be there before anybody else....

"But wait there's more ..."

Waylon Kenning

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:15:22 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...-enforcer.html

There's always a way around things like that. Like get up and make a
coffee. Or turn the TV off for a bit. Or mute it. Ads be gone!

--
Regards,

Waylon Kenning.

Chris Hope

Waylon Kenning wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:15:22 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...-enforcer.html

> There's always a way around things like that. Like get up and make a
> coffee. Or turn the TV off for a bit. Or mute it. Ads be gone!

Ah, but the controls will be disabled so you won't be able to mute it.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:31:33 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

>> There's always a way around things like that. Like get up and make a
>> coffee. Or turn the TV off for a bit. Or mute it. Ads be gone!

> Ah, but the controls will be disabled so you won't be able to mute it.

The ultimate control - the switch on the wall.

I turn the TV on for the news, maybe also Campbell, and maybe also The
Simpsons that follow. That is all.

Then the TV is turned off at the wall. (the computers are heating the
house enough - don't need the TV doing that too. )

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:31:33 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
>
>>> There's always a way around things like that. Like get up and make a
>>> coffee. Or turn the TV off for a bit. Or mute it. Ads be gone!

>> Ah, but the controls will be disabled so you won't be able to mute
>> it.

> The ultimate control - the switch on the wall.

Not much use if you just want to mute it during the ads. Have to play a
guessing game about when to turn it back on again... I wonder if their
patent includes battery backup in the unit so if you turn it off at the
wall it will stay on until the ads have finished

[snip]

Chris Hope

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...-enforcer.html

I like this /. comment about it:

"Phillips was just not thinking clearly when they invented this. There
will be a flag at the start of commercials, and another at the end, to
tell the anti-skip system when to activate. Just how long do you think
it will be before someone figures out how to use the flags to start and
stop the fast-forward button? This system of flags would be just as
effective at automatically skipping ads."

Allistar

Mark Robinson wrote:

> thingy wrote:
>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...-enforcer.html
>> heh...
>> ".....that this may be "greatly resented by viewers"....."
>> LOL.....I can see it now, they missed a bit....all viewers will have to
>> have rfid tags (you know the ones going into kids for "safety reasons")
>> so that if you go to the toilet, the unit detects this and suspends the
>> adverts until you return.....
>> Wait one, lets go even further....
>> Also the rfid tags mean the adverts are tied to you, you have to fill in
>> forms with demographic info so that adverts can be targeted at you....
>> Wait even better.....
>> The rfids also return electronic signals from your brain so that the
>> advertisers can measure the effectiveness of the advert....
>> Wait yet again.............
>> Better yet, add into the rfids to put voltages into you brain making you
>> purchase instantly.....no matter what your debt levels......
>> buy....
>> buy....
>> buy....
>> Welcome to 1984.....
>> Wait........I wonder if I can patent those ideas?
>> Better be quick and GPL them........
>> ;]
>> FFS, I have not replaced my TV because, these clowns have ruined films
>> with adverts.....

> And TVone is so stupid they still fill films up with MORONIC
> self-promotion, even on Easter Sunday when all other advertising is
> banned.

Are adverts banned on Easter, or merely removed by choice by TV stations?

> They have no clue about presentation, or goodwill which is not
> achieved by bludgeoning viewers about the head. I bet they claim the
> self-promotion as charter programming.
>
>> Lets see, no one wants zoned dvd players, would anyone buy a unit that
>> enforced this?
>> Cant see it myself....
>> See CofT, think forward....trends, be there before anybody else....

> "But wait there's more ..."

Philips are ensuring no-one buys their product. I for one won't. I'll decide
what I watch, thank-you-very-much.

Allistar.