Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TV-advert enforcer patented

TV-advert enforcer patented

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:51:41 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:

>> I would support any law which would permanently and completely remove
>> advertising, except for station call-signs and details of upcoming
>> programmes, from TV and radio here in NZ.

> Where's the profit in that?

I don't care! I don't like, or want, broadcast advertising.

I'd much rather have good, enjoyable, and uninterrupted drama, and
educational documentaries during the earlyish evening back on TV again.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Andreas Girardet: "In Suse, there are about 15,000 to 20,000
developers working on the project, and internally at Novell

Chris Hope

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

[snip]

>> Public television is a service provided by companies at their
>> discretion. They can include as much or as little advertising as they
>> see fit - just as I decide to watch as much or as little of it as I
>> see fit.

> Public television is provided by the state, dearie. You've already
> paid for it in your taxes.

Actually, since they make a profit from selling advertising, you don't
pay for it at all via your taxes. TV3 and others also provide public
television. Just because they're not state owned doesn't mean it's not
public tv.

[snip]

Philip

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:51:41 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
>
>>> I would support any law which would permanently and completely remove
>>> advertising, except for station call-signs and details of upcoming
>>> programmes, from TV and radio here in NZ.

>> Where's the profit in that?

> I don't care! I don't like, or want, broadcast advertising.
>
> I'd much rather have good, enjoyable, and uninterrupted drama, and
> educational documentaries during the earlyish evening back on TV again.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

And how do you suggest that should be paid for?

Philip

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:33:41 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

> Actually, since they make a profit from selling advertising, you don't
> pay for it at all via your taxes. TV3 and others also provide public
> television. Just because they're not state owned doesn't mean it's not
> public tv.

TV3 is not owned by the state - therefore a private broadcaster it is.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:29:30 +1200, Philip wrote:

>> I don't care! I don't like, or want, broadcast advertising.
>>
>> I'd much rather have good, enjoyable, and uninterrupted drama, and
>> educational documentaries during the earlyish evening back on TV again.

> And how do you suggest that should be paid for?

Public broadcasting should be funded by... any means other than
advertising.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:33:41 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
>
>> Actually, since they make a profit from selling advertising, you
>> don't pay for it at all via your taxes. TV3 and others also provide
>> public television. Just because they're not state owned doesn't mean
>> it's not public tv.

> TV3 is not owned by the state - therefore a private broadcaster it is.

Yes, but it is *public* television.

Mutlley

Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't agree with legislation that prohibits a business from normal trade
>during religiously observed holidays - it's just another stupid law that
>should be removed.
>
>Allistar.

So you believe every one should work 365 days of the year including
all public holidays??

Mutlley

Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:51:41 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
>
>>> I would support any law which would permanently and completely remove
>>> advertising, except for station call-signs and details of upcoming
>>> programmes, from TV and radio here in NZ.

>> Where's the profit in that?

>I don't care! I don't like, or want, broadcast advertising.
>
>I'd much rather have good, enjoyable, and uninterrupted drama, and
>educational documentaries during the earlyish evening back on TV again.
>

>Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Then you don't mind paying a TV tax of about $1000 per year for FTA
broadcasts??

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:53:12 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

>> TV3 is not owned by the state - therefore a private broadcaster it is.

> Yes, but it is *public* television.

I presume you mean it is "free to air" rather than "closed circut" or
"cable" television.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Andreas Girardet: "In Suse, there are about 15,000 to 20,000
developers working on the project, and internally at Novell
we have about 1,000 developers devoted just to Suse."

thingy

Mutlley wrote:
> Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>thingy wrote:
>>

>>>Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>>>

>>http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...-enforcer.html
>>
>>>".....that this may be "greatly resented by viewers"....."

>>[snip]
>>

>>>Lets see, no one wants zoned dvd players, would anyone buy a unit that
>>>enforced this?
>>>
>>>Cant see it myself....

>>[snip]
>>
>>I can't see why anyone would buy this myself, unless it was the only
>>sort of TV you could buy.
>>
>>One of the really stupid things about it is, what if you want to to
>>change the channel when the ads come on because you want to watch a
>>programme on the other channel? Too bad, must sit through the ads
>>before you can switch over...

> No doubt the TV industry will lobby the FCC to mandate that only these
> sort of TVs and PVRs can be sold..

The FCC only has sway in the USA, Globally, anybody else can sell and
buy anything they want and will do I suspect.

regards

Thing