Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TV-advert enforcer patented

TV-advert enforcer patented

Mutlley

Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>thingy wrote:
>
>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>>>

>http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...-enforcer.html
>>>

>> ".....that this may be "greatly resented by viewers"....."

>[snip]
>
>> Lets see, no one wants zoned dvd players, would anyone buy a unit that
>> enforced this?
>>
>> Cant see it myself....

>[snip]
>
>I can't see why anyone would buy this myself, unless it was the only
>sort of TV you could buy.
>
>One of the really stupid things about it is, what if you want to to
>change the channel when the ads come on because you want to watch a
>programme on the other channel? Too bad, must sit through the ads
>before you can switch over...

No doubt the TV industry will lobby the FCC to mandate that only these
sort of TVs and PVRs can be sold..

Mutlley

Mark Robinson <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote:

>thingy wrote:
>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>>> http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...-enforcer.html

>> heh...
>> ".....that this may be "greatly resented by viewers"....."
>> LOL.....I can see it now, they missed a bit....all viewers will have to
>> have rfid tags (you know the ones going into kids for "safety reasons")
>> so that if you go to the toilet, the unit detects this and suspends the
>> adverts until you return.....
>> Wait one, lets go even further....
>> Also the rfid tags mean the adverts are tied to you, you have to fill in
>> forms with demographic info so that adverts can be targeted at you....
>> Wait even better.....
>> The rfids also return electronic signals from your brain so that the
>> advertisers can measure the effectiveness of the advert....
>> Wait yet again.............
>> Better yet, add into the rfids to put voltages into you brain making you
>> purchase instantly.....no matter what your debt levels......
>> buy....
>> buy....
>> buy....
>> Welcome to 1984.....
>> Wait........I wonder if I can patent those ideas?
>> Better be quick and GPL them........
>> ;]
>> FFS, I have not replaced my TV because, these clowns have ruined films
>> with adverts.....

>And TVone is so stupid they still fill films up with MORONIC self-promotion,
>even on Easter Sunday when all other advertising is banned. They have no clue
>about presentation, or goodwill which is not achieved by bludgeoning viewers
>about the head. I bet they claim the self-promotion as charter programming.

Agreed. I think Prime was even worse. Some how they made a
commercial hour still remain 60 minutes with station promos every 7~10
minutes,..

Malcolm Moore

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:37:59 +1200, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mark Robinson wrote:
>>
>> And TVone is so stupid they still fill films up with MORONIC
>> self-promotion, even on Easter Sunday when all other advertising is
>> banned.

>Are adverts banned on Easter, or merely removed by choice by TV stations?

TV stations choosing to not broadcast advertising? Yeah right!

They are banned by section 81 of the Broadcasting Act 1989.

81.Advertising hours

(1)Subject to subsection (4) of this section, no broadcaster
shall broadcast advertising programmes on television

(a)During the hours between 6am and noon on

(i)Sunday; or

(ii)Anzac Day; or

(b)On

(i)Christmas Day; or

(ii)Good Friday; or

(iii)Easter Sunday.

(2)Subject to subsection (4) of this section, no broadcaster
shall broadcast advertising programmes on sound radio on

(a)Christmas Day; or

(b)Good Friday; or

(c)Easter Sunday.

(3)Every person commits an offence and is liable on summary
conviction to a fine not exceeding $100,000 who contravenes subsection
(1) or subsection (2) of this section.

(4)Nothing in this section prevents the inclusion in any
programme broadcast on television or sound radio of a credit in
respect of a sponsorship or underwriting arrangement entered into in
relation to that programme.

[(5)Nothing in this section applies to any programme broadcast
on television, where the signal for that programme

(a)Originates outside New Zealand; and

(b)Is produced and transmitted simultaneously to both New
Zealand audiences and audiences outside New Zealand; and

(c)Is targeted primarily at audiences outside New Zealand.]

[(6)Nothing in this section prevents the broadcasting of
advertising programmes on any broadcasting service that is primarily
directed at persons temporarily resident in holiday accommodation.]

snip

--
Regards
Malcolm

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:01:37 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

>> The ultimate control - the switch on the wall.

> Not much use if you just want to mute it during the ads. Have to play a
> guessing game about when to turn it back on again... I wonder if their
> patent includes battery backup in the unit so if you turn it off at the
> wall it will stay on until the ads have finished

One of the reasons why I no longer watch much TV is because I loathe the
adverts.

I think that public television should be completely free from any form of
commercial advertising - and I would not mind paying a TV licence that
reflects the quality of the material broadcast.

I won't have SKY or similar also because of the advertising. I fail to see
why I should pay extra for the dubious privilege of receiving adverts from
a satelite!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Andreas Girardet: "In Suse, there are about 15,000 to 20,000
developers working on the project, and internally at Novell

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:06:45 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

> "Phillips was just not thinking clearly when they invented this. There
> will be a flag at the start of commercials, and another at the end, to
> tell the anti-skip system when to activate. Just how long do you think
> it will be before someone figures out how to use the flags to start and
> stop the fast-forward button? This system of flags would be just as
> effective at automatically skipping ads."

Didn't they try a similar sort of system in the '70s/'80s in the UK for
skipping past adverts using a VCR?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Andreas Girardet: "In Suse, there are about 15,000 to 20,000
developers working on the project, and internally at Novell
we have about 1,000 developers devoted just to Suse."

Allistar

Malcolm Moore wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:37:59 +1200, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Mark Robinson wrote:
>>>
>>> And TVone is so stupid they still fill films up with MORONIC
>>> self-promotion, even on Easter Sunday when all other advertising is
>>> banned.

>>Are adverts banned on Easter, or merely removed by choice by TV stations?

> TV stations choosing to not broadcast advertising? Yeah right!
>
> They are banned by section 81 of the Broadcasting Act 1989.

> 81.Advertising hours
>

> (1)Subject to subsection (4) of this section, no broadcaster
> shall broadcast advertising programmes on television
>

> (a)During the hours between 6am and noon on
>

> (i)Sunday; or
>

> (ii)Anzac Day; or
>

> (b)On
>

> (i)Christmas Day; or
>

> (ii)Good Friday; or
>

> (iii)Easter Sunday.
>

> (2)Subject to subsection (4) of this section, no broadcaster
> shall broadcast advertising programmes on sound radio on
>

> (a)Christmas Day; or
>

> (b)Good Friday; or
>

> (c)Easter Sunday.
>

> (3)Every person commits an offence and is liable on summary
> conviction to a fine not exceeding $100,000 who contravenes subsection
> (1) or subsection (2) of this section.
>

> (4)Nothing in this section prevents the inclusion in any
> programme broadcast on television or sound radio of a credit in
> respect of a sponsorship or underwriting arrangement entered into in
> relation to that programme.
>

> [(5)Nothing in this section applies to any programme broadcast
> on television, where the signal for that programme
>

> (a)Originates outside New Zealand; and
>

> (b)Is produced and transmitted simultaneously to both New
> Zealand audiences and audiences outside New Zealand; and
>

> (c)Is targeted primarily at audiences outside New Zealand.]
>

> [(6)Nothing in this section prevents the broadcasting of
> advertising programmes on any broadcasting service that is primarily
> directed at persons temporarily resident in holiday accommodation.]

I don't agree with legislation that prohibits a business from normal trade
during religiously observed holidays - it's just another stupid law that
should be removed.

Allistar.

Allistar

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:01:37 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
>
>>> The ultimate control - the switch on the wall.

>> Not much use if you just want to mute it during the ads. Have to play a
>> guessing game about when to turn it back on again... I wonder if their
>> patent includes battery backup in the unit so if you turn it off at the
>> wall it will stay on until the ads have finished

> One of the reasons why I no longer watch much TV is because I loathe the
> adverts.
>
> I think that public television should be completely free from any form of
> commercial advertising - and I would not mind paying a TV licence that
> reflects the quality of the material broadcast.

Public television is a service provided by companies at their discretion.
They can include as much or as little advertising as they see fit - just as
I decide to watch as much or as little of it as I see fit.

> I won't have SKY or similar also because of the advertising. I fail to see
> why I should pay extra for the dubious privilege of receiving adverts from
> a satelite!

At least with Sky movies there aren't any ads during the movies.

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Allistar.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:48:12 +1200, Allistar wrote:

> I don't agree with legislation that prohibits a business from normal trade
> during religiously observed holidays - it's just another stupid law that
> should be removed.

I agree with any law which removes junk/spam/advertising from the
airwaves.

I would support any law which would permanently and completely remove
advertising, except for station call-signs and details of upcoming
programmes, from TV and radio here in NZ.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:51:12 +1200, Allistar wrote:

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

>>> Not much use if you just want to mute it during the ads. Have to play a
>>> guessing game about when to turn it back on again... I wonder if their
>>> patent includes battery backup in the unit so if you turn it off at the
>>> wall it will stay on until the ads have finished

>> One of the reasons why I no longer watch much TV is because I loathe the
>> adverts.
>>
>> I think that public television should be completely free from any form of
>> commercial advertising - and I would not mind paying a TV licence that
>> reflects the quality of the material broadcast.

> Public television is a service provided by companies at their discretion.
> They can include as much or as little advertising as they see fit - just as
> I decide to watch as much or as little of it as I see fit.

Public television is provided by the state, dearie. You've already paid
for it in your taxes.

>> I won't have SKY or similar also because of the advertising. I fail to see
>> why I should pay extra for the dubious privilege of receiving adverts from
>> a satelite!

> At least with Sky movies there aren't any ads during the movies.

SKY is a subscription service. You're paying for advert free TV - or so
they said when SKY started. Yeah right!

Sky - not worth the money, IMHO.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Andreas Girardet: "In Suse, there are about 15,000 to 20,000
developers working on the project, and internally at Novell
we have about 1,000 developers devoted just to Suse."

Murray Symon

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:38:56 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:48:12 +1200, Allistar wrote:
>
>> I don't agree with legislation that prohibits a business from normal
>> trade during religiously observed holidays - it's just another stupid
>> law that should be removed.

> I agree with any law which removes junk/spam/advertising from the
> airwaves.
>
> I would support any law which would permanently and completely remove
> advertising, except for station call-signs and details of upcoming
> programmes, from TV and radio here in NZ.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Where's the profit in that?
Remember - the viewers of free-to-air television are not the customers.
They are actually the "product" that is being delivered to advertisers.
After all, you have to consider: "who" is paying for "what"?

Murray.