Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Woosh roaming

Woosh roaming

-=rjh=-

Woosh have changed their pricing and now offer more plans than they used
to. At the same time, they promote the service as being mobile.

Then, they add a "Data Roaming" charge - $20.00/month or 6c/MB (or
10c/MB, depending on which part of their website you look at) - if you
connect to their network outside of your base address. So, if you want
to use (say) a laptop with a PC Card in more than one city, you are
going to pay a premium to do so.

That is just absurd - can anyone here confirm that they are actually
charging this?

If they are charging for this, they've just devalued their main point of
difference with fixed broadband, ie mobility.

Waylon Kenning

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:16:03 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

> That is just absurd - can anyone here confirm that they are actually
> charging this?

I can confirm that, that's always been the way. You can be anywhere within
your home city, but if you decide to go to say Auckland for the weekend,
then you pay roaming charges. I don't know why.

--
Regards,

Waylon Kenning.

Aaron Lawrence

On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of -
=rjh=- exclaimed:
> If they are charging for this, they've just devalued their main point of
> difference with fixed broadband, ie mobility.

The main point of wireless for internet was that it didn't need wires
and hence a multi-billion dollar investment in infrastructure. i.e you
can compete with Telecom and the like, without needing a government
sponsored historical project to wire the country.

being mobile is a nice to have, but not really the main point...

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

-=rjh=-

Aaron Lawrence wrote:
> On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of -
> =rjh=- exclaimed:
>> If they are charging for this, they've just devalued their main point of
>> difference with fixed broadband, ie mobility.

> The main point of wireless for internet was that it didn't need wires
> and hence a multi-billion dollar investment in infrastructure. i.e you
> can compete with Telecom and the like, without needing a government
> sponsored historical project to wire the country.
>
> being mobile is a nice to have, but not really the main point...

True, but that is looking at it from the point of view of the ISP.

As a customer, what is in it for me? Why should I care about
infrastructure costs - I just want to see the benefits that apply to me.

In this case, Woosh talk up the benefits of being mobile, but charge
extra for this. I can't see it costs them even a cent more, so why
charge the customer extra? Obviously, because they can.

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Waylon Kenning wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:16:03 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:
>
>> That is just absurd - can anyone here confirm that they are actually
>> charging this?

> I can confirm that, that's always been the way. You can be anywhere
> within your home city, but if you decide to go to say Auckland for the
> weekend, then you pay roaming charges. I don't know why.

Woosh uses Vodaphone's network and cellphone towers.
Vodaphone sells their own mobile data service.
Woosh charges a lot less per byte than Vodaphone does.
(You can see where this is going can't you?)
Vodaphone wants more money if Woosh is going to sell a mobile service.

http://roger.geek.nz/

Roaming Problems RogerC Wireless Networking 1 11-01-2006 06:38 PM
Doesn't anyone Know anything about roaming? RogerC Wireless Networking 14 11-19-2004 09:54 AM
Woosh to Woosh Toxickiwi NZ Computing 7 11-01-2004 08:55 AM
Re: Roaming profiles and WPA using PEAP MS-CHAPv2 aLTeReGo Wireless Networking 0 09-02-2004 05:51 AM
WDS and AP roaming =?Utf-8?B?Uml0Y2hpZSBIb3V0bWV5ZXJz?= Wireless Networking 2 08-14-2004 06:27 PM

Advertisments