Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Hard drive upgrade

Hard drive upgrade

Rastus

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
limitations.

Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.

Cheers

E. Scrooge

"Rastus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
> and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
> machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
> limitations.
>
> Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.
>
> Cheers

External hard drive in the USB port are cheap enough.

E. Scrooge

Jerry

Rastus wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
> and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
> machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
> limitations.
>
> Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.
>
> Cheers

That computer isn't that old, I'd say you have a 99.9% chance of it
working just fine. Besides, if for some reason it doesn't work, just
take the drive back where you got it.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:58:46 +1200, Rastus wrote:

> I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
> and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
> machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
> limitations.
>
> Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.
>
> Cheers

Which year was the motherboard manufactured?

What particular BIOS does your "Dell Dimension 3000" use? And when was it
released?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

~misfit~

Rastus wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
> and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
> machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
> limitations.
>
> Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.

Really, the only sensible logical advice in response to that question is to
get in touch with Dell and ask them. They use propreitary parts and, unless
someone with the exact same machine has done the same thing, nobody but Dell
can advise you.

The other option is to try it and see. Can you borrow one? "Buy" one from
DSE and you can always return it. (Check first but I think that they'll take
it as long as it's not been drop-kicked across the car-park).

Sorry, probably not much help.....
--
~Shaun~

juicyjuice

Dell don't use propreitary parts.. apart from the case and mobo design to
fit the case... most you can obtain from your favourite online dealer as
standard laptop parts.. make sure u do your research and find out what your
laptop will accept...

easy way... send email to dell saying what you want to upgrade.. they will
quote you with part details etc, then use that info to google dealers and
find out what you need then get it cheaper/other brand elsewhere =D

I know 100gb will work.. duno about 160 ... find out from dell, then if so
buy elsewhere cheaper =D

"Rastus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
> and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
> machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
> limitations.
>
> Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.
>
> Cheers

Who Me

Rastus wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
> and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
> machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
> limitations.
>
> Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.
>
> Cheers

Hi Ive got a similar machine and I added a 160G drive to it with no
problems. As there is no internal slot for a second harddrive I bought
an adaptor from dick smith that lets u fit a 3 1/2 drive into a 5 1/4
cdrom bay it cost about $15

Who Me

EMB

Who Me wrote:

> Hi Ive got a similar machine and I added a 160G drive to it with no
> problems. As there is no internal slot for a second harddrive I bought
> an adaptor from dick smith that lets u fit a 3 1/2 drive into a 5 1/4
> cdrom bay it cost about $15

I'd suggest not adding a second HDD but replacing what is already there
as IME Dell machines tend to have fairly low ouput power supplies that
can't really cope with any extra hardware added.

--
EMB

~misfit~

juicyjuice wrote:
> Dell don't use propreitary parts.. apart from the case and mobo
> design to fit the case...

So just the main parts are proprietary then?

> most you can obtain from your favourite
> online dealer as standard laptop parts.. make sure u do your research
> and find out what your laptop will accept...

Heh! So a Dimension is a laptop? It would have been nice if the OP had
included this bit of info. I don't know much about Dells other than the few
desktops I've seen the insides of and the desktops I've seen discussed in
the hardware groups. I certainly don't know what model is a laptop and what
is a desktop.

> easy way... send email to dell saying what you want to upgrade.. they
> will quote you with part details etc, then use that info to google
> dealers and find out what you need then get it cheaper/other brand
> elsewhere =D

Excellent advice.
--
~Shaun~

> I know 100gb will work.. duno about 160 ... find out from dell, then
> if so buy elsewhere cheaper =D
>
> "Rastus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
>> and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
>> machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
>> limitations.
>>
>> Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers

juicyjuice

haha thought i read inspiron.. got laptops on the brain atm..
dimension are desktop but my post is still relevant

soz my bad

news:(E-Mail Removed)...