Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Novell should eat its own dogfood.

Reply
Thread Tools

Novell should eat its own dogfood.

 
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
Novell still running Windows - So What?

http://www.osdir.com/Article8544.phtml


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand:
How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> Novell still running Windows - So What?
>
> http://www.osdir.com/Article8544.phtml
>
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>


Eh? I don't get it. Who cares if they run windows? Everyone else is
allowed to run windows (if they pay for it). Why should it be any
different for Novell?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
David wrote:
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>> Novell still running Windows - So What?
>>
>> http://www.osdir.com/Article8544.phtml
>>
>>
>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>>

>
> Eh? I don't get it. Who cares if they run windows? Everyone else is
> allowed to run windows (if they pay for it). Why should it be any
> different for Novell?


Hmmmm, this is hard to understand. Is cup of tea agreeing with the
comments on that site, ie. "People should be able to run whatever
operating system they feel like running."?
Seems more likely he's being sarcastic.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
In article <hik%f.12842$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> David wrote:
> > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> >> Novell still running Windows - So What?
> >>
> >> http://www.osdir.com/Article8544.phtml
> >>
> >>
> >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
> >>

> >
> > Eh? I don't get it. Who cares if they run windows? Everyone else is
> > allowed to run windows (if they pay for it). Why should it be any
> > different for Novell?

>
> Hmmmm, this is hard to understand. Is cup of tea agreeing with the
> comments on that site, ie. "People should be able to run whatever
> operating system they feel like running."?
> Seems more likely he's being sarcastic.


Who knows, tea towel has a mind of his own. I think it's full of tea
bags.

--
Duncan
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Daly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>David wrote:
>>
>> Eh? I don't get it. Who cares if they run windows? Everyone else is
>> allowed to run windows (if they pay for it). Why should it be any
>> different for Novell?

>
>Hmmmm, this is hard to understand. Is cup of tea agreeing with the
>comments on that site, ie. "People should be able to run whatever
>operating system they feel like running."?
>Seems more likely he's being sarcastic.


I suspect that he was referring to the fact that Novell now own Suse
Linux (my preferred Linux distro). Perhaps this is a reflection of the
fact that Linux doesn't yet have the business packages firms want.

Michael Daly
 
Reply With Quote
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:18:50 +1200, David wrote:

> David wrote:
>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>>> Novell still running Windows - So What?
>>>
>>> http://www.osdir.com/Article8544.phtml
>>>
>>>
>>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>>>

>>
>> Eh? I don't get it. Who cares if they run windows? Everyone else is
>> allowed to run windows (if they pay for it). Why should it be any
>> different for Novell?

>
> Hmmmm, this is hard to understand. Is cup of tea agreeing with the
> comments on that site, ie. "People should be able to run whatever
> operating system they feel like running."?
> Seems more likely he's being sarcastic.


There is no sarcasm.

If Novell produces a desktop OS that it things is good enough to sell to
other people then it should be using its own desktop - not least being to
find out how to improve the thing!


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
sign they've lost the real battle, for users."

 
Reply With Quote
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:18:50 +1200, David wrote:
>
>
>>David wrote:
>>
>>>Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>>>
>>>>Novell still running Windows - So What?
>>>>
>>>>http://www.osdir.com/Article8544.phtml
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>>>>
>>>
>>>Eh? I don't get it. Who cares if they run windows? Everyone else is
>>>allowed to run windows (if they pay for it). Why should it be any
>>>different for Novell?

>>
>>Hmmmm, this is hard to understand. Is cup of tea agreeing with the
>>comments on that site, ie. "People should be able to run whatever
>>operating system they feel like running."?
>>Seems more likely he's being sarcastic.

>
>
> There is no sarcasm.
>
> If Novell produces a desktop OS that it things is good enough to sell to
> other people then it should be using its own desktop - not least being to
> find out how to improve the thing!
>
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>


yep, certianly Sun demo'd their java desktop with the cliam that is what
they use.

The "common" use I have heard for "eat your own dog food" referred to MS
migrating hotmail to a MS OS and away from Solaris and BSD...It was a PR
disater for MS as long as Hotmail stayed on Unix so eventually they
managed to change. Ditto Novell if they are serious about selling Suse
as a desktop they should be eating their own dog food pure and simple.....

regards

Thing













 
Reply With Quote
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
Michael Daly wrote:
> David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>David wrote:
>>
>>>Eh? I don't get it. Who cares if they run windows? Everyone else is
>>>allowed to run windows (if they pay for it). Why should it be any
>>>different for Novell?

>>
>>Hmmmm, this is hard to understand. Is cup of tea agreeing with the
>>comments on that site, ie. "People should be able to run whatever
>>operating system they feel like running."?
>>Seems more likely he's being sarcastic.

>
>
> I suspect that he was referring to the fact that Novell now own Suse
> Linux (my preferred Linux distro). Perhaps this is a reflection of the
> fact that Linux doesn't yet have the business packages firms want.
>
> Michael Daly


Depends on the packages that are needed, for my use I have a thin client
to a linux server and ssh / rdesktop to other servers from there....It
is easier and more stable to do this in my circumstances, so I am more
productive.

Lots of applications these days are moving to a web browser as the
interface. I can either use Navisphere on the SANs from IE or Mozilla it
does not matter....webmin to manage Linux/Unix boxes....Communigate
Pro....as this accelerates whether it is IE or Firefox will not matter.

OWA.......for mail from anywhere in the world....

The OS is becoming less and less of an issue, fighting to own the
desktop is not the battle to win in the longer term.....

As this happens more and more companies are going to say, all my apps
are web based, why do I care what the OS is?

Why do I need a thick client / server delivery model?

Case in point Sun manage 30,000 users with 7 administrators. The servers
are centrally located in the US and the helpdesks in India connect to
them over the pacific...there is nothing intelligent at the Indian end,
just a screen, keyboard and mouse....

The Sun ray I think costs Sun something like $75 per annum to look
after, a Sun java desktop circa $700 and a windows desktop
$1300....these are not invented costs, this is what Sun pays EDS per
client per year....

Lets multiply 30,000 users by $75, $700 and $1300....

Thin client = $2.25Million

Linux = $21Million

Windows = $39Million.....

If a sunray breaks a new ones turns up and the chances are the user
themselves will be able to swap it out and get working, no support on
site needed....Fedex cost, less than a thick client.....lets face it if
a user cannot plug it into the mains, plug in a ethernet cable and a
keyboard and mouse they probably are not worth employing.....

Thick client issue? body on site......need a new box? higher fedex cost
due to weight, plus an increase likelyhood of a DOA....

Lets look at one of my favourite little projects at the
moment....running 4~6 desktops off one linux thick client.....

So six people, one thick client, 5 thin = $3.5Million + $1.875 Million =
Circa 6 Million, but local USB ports are available plus of course
videos/dvds and audio are now available.......lose a box of course and 6
people are out.....





























































 
Reply With Quote
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:59:17 +1200, Michael Daly wrote:

> I suspect that he was referring to the fact that Novell now own Suse
> Linux (my preferred Linux distro). Perhaps this is a reflection of the
> fact that Linux doesn't yet have the business packages firms want.


I use SuSE Linux. Novell owns the SuSE Linux distro. Novell recently
changed over the majority of its desktops from being Windoze desktops to
being SuSE desktops.

Novell SHOULD be using it's own desktop - if for no other reason other
than to improve its own product.


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
sign they've lost the real battle, for users."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:59:17 +1200, Michael Daly wrote:

> Perhaps this is a reflection of the
> fact that Linux doesn't yet have the business packages firms want.


Of course Linux does not have every package available. For example,
Micro$oft Office cannot work on Linux, even tho' it does work on MacBSD.

But Linux DOES have Open Office, and Star Office, and K-Office.

Linux DOES need to have the Adobe suite ported over from MacBSD.

Linux DOES need MYOB ported over - so that the accounting morons won't
again need to learn something new.


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
sign they've lost the real battle, for users."

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I have built my own (simple) thread manager [TM], but just found java 5 has its own. Saverio M. Java 0 07-03-2006 08:52 AM
Re: Microsoft Eat Own Words 7 Computer Support 0 04-21-2006 07:34 PM
Novell comments on its transition to Linux desktops Have A Nice Cup of Tea NZ Computing 0 04-15-2006 03:19 AM
Novell Eats Its Own Dog Food Have A Nice Cup of Tea NZ Computing 0 03-24-2006 06:26 AM
Re: How many calories a day should I eat ? Phil Scott Digital Photography 2 02-14-2005 12:56 AM



Advertisments