Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wireless network help

Wireless network help

Neal Phillips

Hi all
I'm not an expert on wireless networks but many of my customers have
notebooks so I've taken to installing something like the DLink DSL-G604T
wireless ADSL-router at new sites.

One site I installed last month runs my POS software on three lanes and the
owner brings his notebook in each day and just works from the back office.
Yesterday he advised me that he could no longer access the network with his
notebook.

I went to his site this morning and saw that the only wireless network
signal available was to some other network that I didn't recognise, our
network wasn't listed. I couldn't access the new network (without knowing
the key).
I then rebooted the router. The unknown network disappeared and ours was
back again and accessible.

This is in a new block of shops. Several empty shops in the block. I checked
with the open shops and none of them had wireless networks.
There are many factories and office buildings in the area but the nearest
would be 200 m away.
Can anyone advise what is likely to have happened?
I don't mind that other networks are occasionally within range but it is a
concern that ours suddenly wasn't there at all.

TIA
Neal

juicyjuice

change channels on the router.. see if that helps

"Neal Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0fg%f.12787$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
> I'm not an expert on wireless networks but many of my customers have
> notebooks so I've taken to installing something like the DLink DSL-G604T
> wireless ADSL-router at new sites.
>
> One site I installed last month runs my POS software on three lanes and
> the
> owner brings his notebook in each day and just works from the back office.
> Yesterday he advised me that he could no longer access the network with
> his
> notebook.
>
> I went to his site this morning and saw that the only wireless network
> signal available was to some other network that I didn't recognise, our
> network wasn't listed. I couldn't access the new network (without knowing
> the key).
> I then rebooted the router. The unknown network disappeared and ours was
> back again and accessible.
>
> This is in a new block of shops. Several empty shops in the block. I
> checked
> with the open shops and none of them had wireless networks.
> There are many factories and office buildings in the area but the nearest
> would be 200 m away.
> Can anyone advise what is likely to have happened?
> I don't mind that other networks are occasionally within range but it is a
> concern that ours suddenly wasn't there at all.
>
> TIA
> Neal

-=rjh=-

Bugger that, change the router. I had nothing but grief from my D-Link
router, over time the bloody thing would more and more often just stop
working, until it wouldn't even run for one day without restarting it.

I know of others who have had similar problems, but I was lucky enough
to be able to convince D-Link to RMA it - after a hell of a lot of work.

Changed to a Linksys WRT54G, absolutely rock solid and reliable.

juicyjuice wrote:
> change channels on the router.. see if that helps
>

> "Neal Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0fg%f.12787$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all
>> I'm not an expert on wireless networks but many of my customers have
>> notebooks so I've taken to installing something like the DLink DSL-G604T
>> wireless ADSL-router at new sites.
>>
>> One site I installed last month runs my POS software on three lanes and
>> the
>> owner brings his notebook in each day and just works from the back office.
>> Yesterday he advised me that he could no longer access the network with
>> his
>> notebook.
>>
>> I went to his site this morning and saw that the only wireless network
>> signal available was to some other network that I didn't recognise, our
>> network wasn't listed. I couldn't access the new network (without knowing
>> the key).
>> I then rebooted the router. The unknown network disappeared and ours was
>> back again and accessible.
>>
>> This is in a new block of shops. Several empty shops in the block. I
>> checked
>> with the open shops and none of them had wireless networks.
>> There are many factories and office buildings in the area but the nearest
>> would be 200 m away.
>> Can anyone advise what is likely to have happened?
>> I don't mind that other networks are occasionally within range but it is a
>> concern that ours suddenly wasn't there at all.
>>
>> TIA
>> Neal

juicyjuice

I wouldn't use dlink myself either, I have a linksys WAG54G v2

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:443dd0b6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bugger that, change the router. I had nothing but grief from my D-Link
> router, over time the bloody thing would more and more often just stop
> working, until it wouldn't even run for one day without restarting it.
>
> I know of others who have had similar problems, but I was lucky enough to
> be able to convince D-Link to RMA it - after a hell of a lot of work.
>
> Changed to a Linksys WRT54G, absolutely rock solid and reliable.
>

> juicyjuice wrote:
>> change channels on the router.. see if that helps
>>

>> "Neal Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:0fg%f.12787$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all
>>> I'm not an expert on wireless networks but many of my customers have
>>> notebooks so I've taken to installing something like the DLink DSL-G604T
>>> wireless ADSL-router at new sites.
>>>
>>> One site I installed last month runs my POS software on three lanes and
>>> the
>>> owner brings his notebook in each day and just works from the back
>>> office.
>>> Yesterday he advised me that he could no longer access the network with
>>> his
>>> notebook.
>>>
>>> I went to his site this morning and saw that the only wireless network
>>> signal available was to some other network that I didn't recognise, our
>>> network wasn't listed. I couldn't access the new network (without
>>> knowing
>>> the key).
>>> I then rebooted the router. The unknown network disappeared and ours was
>>> back again and accessible.
>>>
>>> This is in a new block of shops. Several empty shops in the block. I
>>> checked
>>> with the open shops and none of them had wireless networks.
>>> There are many factories and office buildings in the area but the
>>> nearest
>>> would be 200 m away.
>>> Can anyone advise what is likely to have happened?
>>> I don't mind that other networks are occasionally within range but it is
>>> concern that ours suddenly wasn't there at all.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Neal

Stu Fleming

If you get a Linksys WRT54G, make sure that you get a v4, not a v5 (you
need to check this carefully before buying, I think the only indication
is on the sticker on the back of the unit).

v4s are Linux based and can take custom firmware and are hugely more
powerful as a result. The v5 (in my experience) is not as stable and
definitely not as flexible.

There are some v4s still in the NZ stock, but we're seeing more v5s
starting to appear.

juicyjuice

simular with the WAG54G -
do not buy the v1 model.. apparently unstable -
the v2 model has UPNP and Adsl2+ labels on the front.

news:443dda48$(E-Mail Removed)...