Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ethernet abling - Cat 6 vs Cat 5

Ethernet abling - Cat 6 vs Cat 5

Stu Fleming

Alan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Follow up question - If I can be so cheeky!
>
> Is there any way to tell from either a PC or a console / session on a
> server, what the maximum throughput is between two endpoints?

iperf
http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

Be prepared to do some TCP tuning with a default Windows setup.
Also watch your speed and duplex settings, force everything to 100/full
if necessary. Auto-negotiation is a pain in the arse. so are Realtek
8139s.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:59:53 +1200, Alan wrote:

> Any ideas on the actual question of how to do it from the console or
> workstation - or even if it is possible?

No idea. What tends to happen if you make your cables too long is you'll
get data corruption and syncronisation issues.

But around the average house... you won't have any problems at all using
10/100 speeds. Gigabit LAN speeds? I think you'd be safer going entirely
cat 6 if you're thinking anything other than within the same room or one
or two next to it - just to be sure.

I think you'd need special measuring equipment to determine the maximum
speed/length of a cable to pickup on when the latency of the various wires
in the cable start to cause syncronisation problems.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand:
How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

Alan

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:59:53 +1200, Alan wrote:
>
>> Any ideas on the actual question of how to do it from the console
>> or
>> workstation - or even if it is possible?

> No idea. What tends to happen if you make your cables too long is
> you'll
> get data corruption and syncronisation issues.
>
> But around the average house... you won't have any problems at all
> using
> 10/100 speeds. Gigabit LAN speeds? I think you'd be safer going
> entirely
> cat 6 if you're thinking anything other than within the same room or
> one
> or two next to it - just to be sure.
>
> I think you'd need special measuring equipment to determine the
> maximum
> speed/length of a cable to pickup on when the latency of the various
> wires
> in the cable start to cause syncronisation problems.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>
> --
> "Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand:
> How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

Okay - I think I should be okay. Max cable is no more than 10m.

Is that okay?

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:02:13 +1200, Alan wrote:

> Okay - I think I should be okay. Max cable is no more than 10m.
>
> Is that okay?

I think for gigabit speed and cat 6 cables (the black ones) you could say
100m is very OK.

IIRC (It's been a long time since I last saw what was printed on the
package of a Cat 5e cable), for 10/100 speeds and cat 5e cables (the blue
ones) again you could say 100m is OK.

So, given the above, how would you rate your situation?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand:
How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

David

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:44:44 +1200, Alan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone give me a one line answer to whether I can and should be
> buying Cat 6 Ethernet cabling now?
>
> Can I plug in a Cat 6 cable between a switch and a PC and it will
> still work, even though there is Cat 5 cable between the switch and
> the upstream connection in the wall? I have been told different
> things by different people.
>
> My inclination is to buy Cat 6 cable so that we gradually have it
> available for when our PCs have gigabit cards, and all the
> infrastructure will eventually match.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

As others have said, it probably makes sense to buy new stuff as Cat6
(though note caveat below).

Probably no need to rush upgrading your old Cat5 cable though. At least I
would hold off until you confirmed that the Cat5 was throttling your
traffic.

Parts of our 6+ PC household / HO network are happily running Gbs (desktop
PC variety) over Cat5 & I have been told by 'industry people' that even our
c.40m Cat5 link to a detached rumpus should easily cope with Gbs (have yet
to test this - want to put some NAS out there for "off-site" security).
Search on Google - I saw several tech sites that said Cat5 should normally
handle Gbs (even though it was not designed to do so).

We were also told that given our Cat5 behind the wall cabling, it would
probably be better to use Cat5e rather than Cat6 patch leads (reason being
that Cat6 is more tightly twisted than Cat5 - would end up with an abrupt
change in turns per inch). However, that came over more as a gut feeling
comment, than as authorative advice.

David

juicyjuice

I think this is where cat7 (still in the works) will be more appropriate
each pair is individually shielded.. and a shield wrapping them all..more
protection.. less twisting... but unfortunately a new connector, speeds? i
guess faster..

news:1jpreee4k7msa$.13k844lintapg$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:44:44 +1200, Alan wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Can anyone give me a one line answer to whether I can and should be
>> buying Cat 6 Ethernet cabling now?
>>
>> Can I plug in a Cat 6 cable between a switch and a PC and it will
>> still work, even though there is Cat 5 cable between the switch and
>> the upstream connection in the wall? I have been told different
>> things by different people.
>>
>> My inclination is to buy Cat 6 cable so that we gradually have it
>> available for when our PCs have gigabit cards, and all the
>> infrastructure will eventually match.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alan.

> As others have said, it probably makes sense to buy new stuff as Cat6
> (though note caveat below).
>
> Probably no need to rush upgrading your old Cat5 cable though. At least I
> would hold off until you confirmed that the Cat5 was throttling your
> traffic.
>
> Parts of our 6+ PC household / HO network are happily running Gbs (desktop
> PC variety) over Cat5 & I have been told by 'industry people' that even
> our
> c.40m Cat5 link to a detached rumpus should easily cope with Gbs (have yet
> to test this - want to put some NAS out there for "off-site" security).
> Search on Google - I saw several tech sites that said Cat5 should normally
> handle Gbs (even though it was not designed to do so).
>
> We were also told that given our Cat5 behind the wall cabling, it would
> probably be better to use Cat5e rather than Cat6 patch leads (reason being
> that Cat6 is more tightly twisted than Cat5 - would end up with an abrupt
> change in turns per inch). However, that came over more as a gut feeling
> comment, than as authorative advice.
>
> David

EMB

Alan wrote:

> "juicyjuice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e1kbn1$hqv$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> oh, and you could also physically tag the new cables at both ends
>> with tape to know visually which ones are new and old =)

> Good advice - I will start doing that.
>
> Thanks

It's simpler to buy your new Cat6 patch cables in a different colour
(all the ones I've bought at work are green) - it saves the effort of
labelling them and makes them really easy to identify even from a distance.

--
EMB

Craig Shore

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:42:29 +1200, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Follow up question - If I can be so cheeky!
>
>Is there any way to tell from either a PC or a console / session on a
>server, what the maximum throughput is between two endpoints?

Not sure if this is what you want or not, but press CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the
Task Manager (or right click in the task bar and select Task Manager).
On the Task Manager there is a Networking Tab, press that and it'll show the
current network usage with a graph from the machine you're on.

Alan

Should be sweet!

Thanks for your input.

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:02:13 +1200, Alan wrote:
>
>> Okay - I think I should be okay. Max cable is no more than 10m.
>>
>> Is that okay?

> I think for gigabit speed and cat 6 cables (the black ones) you
> could say
> 100m is very OK.
>
> IIRC (It's been a long time since I last saw what was printed on the
> package of a Cat 5e cable), for 10/100 speeds and cat 5e cables (the
> blue
> ones) again you could say 100m is OK.
>
> So, given the above, how would you rate your situation?
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>
> --
> "Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand:
> How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

Alan

Another good idea - I will do that.

Thanks,

Alan.