Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ethernet abling - Cat 6 vs Cat 5

Ethernet abling - Cat 6 vs Cat 5

Alan

Hi All,

Can anyone give me a one line answer to whether I can and should be
buying Cat 6 Ethernet cabling now?

Can I plug in a Cat 6 cable between a switch and a PC and it will
still work, even though there is Cat 5 cable between the switch and
the upstream connection in the wall? I have been told different
things by different people.

My inclination is to buy Cat 6 cable so that we gradually have it
available for when our PCs have gigabit cards, and all the
infrastructure will eventually match.

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

juicyjuice

cat6 is backwards compatible.. dosn't mater you still have cat5 on your
network
cat6 can handle the new gigbit speeds is all.

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iye%f.12750$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone give me a one line answer to whether I can and should be buying
> Cat 6 Ethernet cabling now?
>
> Can I plug in a Cat 6 cable between a switch and a PC and it will still
> work, even though there is Cat 5 cable between the switch and the upstream
> connection in the wall? I have been told different things by different
> people.
>
> My inclination is to buy Cat 6 cable so that we gradually have it
> available for when our PCs have gigabit cards, and all the infrastructure
> will eventually match.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.
> --
>
> The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
> else associated with me.
>
> My current valid email address is:
>
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.
>
> It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
>
> If you are trying to contact me after that time,
> it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
> deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
> to contact me by email, try searching for a
> more recent post by me to find my current
> email address.
>
> The following is a (probably!) totally unique
> and meaningless string of characters that you
> can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
>
> ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Ewen McNeill

In article <iye%f.12750$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Can anyone give me a one line answer to whether I can and should be
>buying Cat 6 Ethernet cabling now?

Unless the price is dramatically better for Cat5e cabling, then I'd buy
Cat6 cable these days. Cat5e will pass Gigabit Ethernet if it's properly
installed; Cat6 will definitely do so. Cat 5e is rated to 100Mhz (per pair)
IIRC; Cat 6 is rated to 250MHz per pair. (Gigabit Ethernet in particular
does some clever tricks to fit 1000Mbps over two pairs in each direction.)

Cat 6 is likely to be required for any future (faster) Ethernet standard
over copper, as they've pretty much reached the limits of Cat5e. (In fact
I think some people were surprised they managed to get Gigabit ethernet
over Cat5e.)

If you have a switch in between the two cables you should have no trouble
using Cat5e on one segment and Cat6 on the other. Especially if it's a
100Mbps switch or slower.

Ewen

Alan

Great - So I should definately start buying Cat 6 now so that when we
have gigabit cards and switches etc we can take advantage of it?

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

"juicyjuice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e1jss7$mho$(E-Mail Removed)...
> cat6 is backwards compatible.. dosn't mater you still have cat5 on
> your network
> cat6 can handle the new gigbit speeds is all.
>
> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:iye%f.12750$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Can anyone give me a one line answer to whether I can and should be
>> buying Cat 6 Ethernet cabling now?
>>
>> Can I plug in a Cat 6 cable between a switch and a PC and it will
>> still work, even though there is Cat 5 cable between the switch and
>> the upstream connection in the wall? I have been told different
>> things by different people.
>>
>> My inclination is to buy Cat 6 cable so that we gradually have it
>> available for when our PCs have gigabit cards, and all the
>> infrastructure will eventually match.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alan.
>> --
>>
>> The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or
>> anyone
>> else associated with me.
>>
>> My current valid email address is:
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.
>>
>> It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
>>
>> If you are trying to contact me after that time,
>> it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
>> deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
>> to contact me by email, try searching for a
>> more recent post by me to find my current
>> email address.
>>
>> The following is a (probably!) totally unique
>> and meaningless string of characters that you
>> can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
>>
>> ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

juicyjuice

uhuh, I would, and have
cat5e also handles gigbit, but cat6 is better quality designed to handle
1-250mhz wheras 5e can only handle 1-100mhz

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aZe%f.12756$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Great - So I should definately start buying Cat 6 now so that when we have
> gigabit cards and switches etc we can take advantage of it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.
> --
>
> The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
> else associated with me.
>
> My current valid email address is:
>
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.
>
> It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
>
> If you are trying to contact me after that time,
> it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
> deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
> to contact me by email, try searching for a
> more recent post by me to find my current
> email address.
>
> The following is a (probably!) totally unique
> and meaningless string of characters that you
> can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
>
> ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
>

> "juicyjuice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e1jss7$mho$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> cat6 is backwards compatible.. dosn't mater you still have cat5 on your
>> network
>> cat6 can handle the new gigbit speeds is all.
>>
>> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:iye%f.12750$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Can anyone give me a one line answer to whether I can and should be
>>> buying Cat 6 Ethernet cabling now?
>>>
>>> Can I plug in a Cat 6 cable between a switch and a PC and it will still
>>> work, even though there is Cat 5 cable between the switch and the
>>> upstream connection in the wall? I have been told different things by
>>> different people.
>>>
>>> My inclination is to buy Cat 6 cable so that we gradually have it
>>> available for when our PCs have gigabit cards, and all the
>>> infrastructure will eventually match.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Alan.
>>> --
>>>
>>> The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
>>> else associated with me.
>>>
>>> My current valid email address is:
>>>
>>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.
>>>
>>> It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
>>>
>>> If you are trying to contact me after that time,
>>> it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
>>> deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
>>> to contact me by email, try searching for a
>>> more recent post by me to find my current
>>> email address.
>>>
>>> The following is a (probably!) totally unique
>>> and meaningless string of characters that you
>>> can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
>>>
>>> ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Alan

Great - thanks for your help.

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

"juicyjuice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e1junu$ppp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> uhuh, I would, and have
> cat5e also handles gigbit, but cat6 is better quality designed to
> handle 1-250mhz wheras 5e can only handle 1-100mhz
>
> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aZe%f.12756$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Great - So I should definately start buying Cat 6 now so that when
>> we have gigabit cards and switches etc we can take advantage of it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alan.
>> --
>>
>> The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or
>> anyone
>> else associated with me.
>>
>> My current valid email address is:
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.
>>
>> It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
>>
>> If you are trying to contact me after that time,
>> it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
>> deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
>> to contact me by email, try searching for a
>> more recent post by me to find my current
>> email address.
>>
>> The following is a (probably!) totally unique
>> and meaningless string of characters that you
>> can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
>>
>> ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
>>

>> "juicyjuice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:e1jss7$mho$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> cat6 is backwards compatible.. dosn't mater you still have cat5 on
>>> your network
>>> cat6 can handle the new gigbit speeds is all.
>>>
>>> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:iye%f.12750$(E-Mail Removed)...

Alan

Hi,

Follow up question - If I can be so cheeky!

Is there any way to tell from either a PC or a console / session on a
server, what the maximum throughput is between two endpoints?

We have Cat 5(a?), Cat5e, and soon to be some Cat6 cabling around. We
have 1000 megabit and 100 megabit switches, and we have PCs with both
types of cards.

I would really like to be able to know what the capacity is between
two endpoints without having to go to the location, crawl around under
the tables etc, and read cables, switches and stuff.

Thanks,

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Alan

Hi Ewan,

I was planning on putting gigabit switches in that segment (it is
actually three segments at that point - two switches) so that when I
buy another cable (Cat6) I can move towards those PCs getting full
gigabit service (they have the NICs necessary).

Does that make any difference (you said I would be okay if the
switches are 100 megabits or slower)?

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

"Ewen McNeill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e1jtct$kb1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <iye%f.12750$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Alan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Can anyone give me a one line answer to whether I can and should be
>>buying Cat 6 Ethernet cabling now?

> Unless the price is dramatically better for Cat5e cabling, then I'd
> buy
> Cat6 cable these days. Cat5e will pass Gigabit Ethernet if it's
> properly
> installed; Cat6 will definitely do so. Cat 5e is rated to 100Mhz
> (per pair)
> IIRC; Cat 6 is rated to 250MHz per pair. (Gigabit Ethernet in
> particular
> does some clever tricks to fit 1000Mbps over two pairs in each
> direction.)
>
> Cat 6 is likely to be required for any future (faster) Ethernet
> standard
> over copper, as they've pretty much reached the limits of Cat5e.
> (In fact
> I think some people were surprised they managed to get Gigabit
> ethernet
> over Cat5e.)
>
> If you have a switch in between the two cables you should have no
> trouble
> using Cat5e on one segment and Cat6 on the other. Especially if
> it's a
> 100Mbps switch or slower.
>
> Ewen

Alan

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Iof%f.12765$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> Follow up question - If I can be so cheeky!
>
> Is there any way to tell from either a PC or a console / session on
> a server, what the maximum throughput is between two endpoints?
>
> We have Cat 5(a?), Cat5e, and soon to be some Cat6 cabling around.
> We have 1000 megabit and 100 megabit switches, and we have PCs with
> both types of cards.
>
> I would really like to be able to know what the capacity is between
> two endpoints without having to go to the location, crawl around
> under the tables etc, and read cables, switches and stuff.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan

I should have said that we are running Windows SBS 2003 Premium and
Windows Server 2003 at one end and Windows XP SP3 on the workstations.

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Alan

Darn - Spellchecker doesn't help with SP3!

I meant XP SP2 of course

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.