Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Alternatives to Cable

Alternatives to Cable

thingy

While getting an ear full of Clear on why I had to change my com21
modem.....(for the third time).....

Oh this is a cheaper service, we will throw in the modem for free saving
you $13 a month....

really? so I get my dial up account for free?.....uh no.....

so how am I saving?

uh.....well anyway you need to change its cheaper.....

So the new plan is $81 and the old plan is $81.....

Yes well we can do you a 1 gig plan that is $60 a month, so that is
cheaper is it not?

I use on average 2~5 gig a month, so I am into additional charges on
that plan.....

Ok so you want the same plan you are on now at 10 gig....it is $81 a
month....

uh...uh the same amount I am paying now.....but I loose my National
traffic split....

Anyway this goes on for a while with Clear's rep finally telling me I
have to move at some stage.....

Talking to a fellow employee, he was "tricked" into moving only to find
he had lost his national split, since he uses VPN to work, that was a
noticable loss (I do too).....

Clear refused to put him back denying they were not truthful....so he
swapped to adsl......

So clear lost a high income client, who uses broadband heavily and rings
his home country frequently.....so bang goes International toll calls too...

My conclusion is the old cable accounts wont go anytime soon.....Clear
has too much to loose in forcing people to swap out for a worse
service....they get ****ed and just leave......

Her's waitng for my com21 to die of old age.....

Any body else done similar ie dumped cable to adsl after Clear annoyed you?

I know if I was forced I would consider ADSL as an alternative......

regards

Thing

Daniel

thingy wrote:

> uh...uh the same amount I am paying now.....but I loose my National
> traffic split....

> Talking to a fellow employee, he was "tricked" into moving only to find
> he had lost his national split, since he uses VPN to work, that was a
> noticable loss (I do too).....

Yeah, with the new plans you get charged at full rate for *everything*
AFAICT.

National traffic aside I'm not entirely sure, but, I think cached
traffic from the transparent proxy was free on the old plans. I know
traffic between nodes on the old plan subnet was definitely free - no
longer the case with the new plan subnet.
This seems to imply that _any_ traffic is charged for. Which makes the
1G plan seem fairly pointless, considering that for $10 more you get 5G.

I'm still on the old 1G plan with the national split, but, I'm
considering changing to 5G even though I do a fair bit of national -
it'd save me $10 per month. Worst case is that I end up going to 10G,
and pay the same amount I do now.

I haven't considered ADSL simpy because I know with cable I don't get
any of the various "latency" issues that others have experienced, and a
genuine 2Mbps upstream speed is quite attractive.

Kent Smith

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e1h9gp$ukk$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I haven't considered ADSL simpy because I know with cable I don't get any
> of the various "latency" issues that others have experienced, and a
> genuine 2Mbps upstream speed is quite attractive.

Ah yes, you might actually be able to use Skype (if you can find someone who
doesn't have Telecom DSL to call)

-KENT

zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:53:25 +1200, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>While getting an ear full of Clear on why I had to change my com21
>modem.....(for the third time).....
>
>Oh this is a cheaper service, we will throw in the modem for free saving
>you $13 a month....

The Modem is not FREE, I got charged for the last 3 months that they did not
bill me.

>really? so I get my dial up account for free?.....uh no.....
>
>so how am I saving?
>
>uh.....well anyway you need to change its cheaper.....
>
>So the new plan is $81 and the old plan is $81.....
>
>Yes well we can do you a 1 gig plan that is $60 a month, so that is
>cheaper is it not?
>
>I use on average 2~5 gig a month, so I am into additional charges on
>that plan.....
>
>Ok so you want the same plan you are on now at 10 gig....it is $81 a
>month....
>
>uh...uh the same amount I am paying now.....but I loose my National
>traffic split....
>
>Anyway this goes on for a while with Clear's rep finally telling me I
>have to move at some stage.....
>
>Talking to a fellow employee, he was "tricked" into moving only to find
>he had lost his national split, since he uses VPN to work, that was a
>noticable loss (I do too).....
>
>Clear refused to put him back denying they were not truthful....so he
>swapped to adsl......
>
>So clear lost a high income client, who uses broadband heavily and rings
>his home country frequently.....so bang goes International toll calls too...
>
>My conclusion is the old cable accounts wont go anytime soon.....Clear
>has too much to loose in forcing people to swap out for a worse
>service....they get ****ed and just leave......
>
>Her's waitng for my com21 to die of old age.....
>

>Any body else done similar ie dumped cable to adsl after Clear annoyed you?
>
>I know if I was forced I would consider ADSL as an alternative......
>
>regards
>
>Thing

ADSL is Crap when compared to Cable and yes I am ****ed of as I had to close
my 256k/10gig one, because I needed a cheaper service but that ( 256k/10gig )
is now no longer available, the Comlink 21 Modems are utter crap, the Motorola
ones are Great..

Dave Taylor

thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Any body else done similar ie dumped cable to adsl after Clear annoyed
> you?
>
> I know if I was forced I would consider ADSL as an alternative......
>
> regards
>
> Thing

I looked into Actrix after misfit posted here, but I have the TV, decoder,
phone and cable internet. I went from 5 gigs to 10 and since I did not
care about my national / international split I am kinda happy.

Moving off to ADSL, means two things for a cable full package customer.
1. Getting Telecom Land Line so you can even get ADSL with Actrix.
2. Getting a modem of some sort so you don't rent it.

One of the reasons I have cable is because I could keep telecom out of my
house.

--
Ciao, Dave

Dave Taylor

"Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:e1hhqv$u22$(E-Mail Removed):

> Ah yes, you might actually be able to use Skype (if you can find
> someone who doesn't have Telecom DSL to call)

SkypeOut or MSN Messenger works great with TC cable.

--
Ciao, Dave

David

Dave Taylor wrote:
> "Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:e1hhqv$u22$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Ah yes, you might actually be able to use Skype (if you can find
>> someone who doesn't have Telecom DSL to call)
>>

> SkypeOut or MSN Messenger works great with TC cable.

And with ADSL, provided noone else uses the connection for anything else
at the same time, lol.

Phstpok

Dave Taylor wrote:

>thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Any body else done similar ie dumped cable to adsl after Clear annoyed
>>you?
>>
>>I know if I was forced I would consider ADSL as an alternative......
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Thing
>>

>I looked into Actrix after misfit posted here, but I have the TV, decoder,
>phone and cable internet. I went from 5 gigs to 10 and since I did not
>care about my national / international split I am kinda happy.
>
>Moving off to ADSL, means two things for a cable full package customer.
>1. Getting Telecom Land Line so you can even get ADSL with Actrix.
>2. Getting a modem of some sort so you don't rent it.
>
>One of the reasons I have cable is because I could keep telecom out of my
>house.

Same here. Net, phone, tv. By the time I pay for a new modem, Telecom
landline and Sky, no savings for 18 months, and something else could
come along by then.

Rob.

--
Phstpok - the friendly alien

www.phstpok.com

Never hold your farts in.
They travel up your spine
and into your brain,
and that is where all your shitty ideas come from.

Kent Smith

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:53:25 +1200, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>While getting an ear full of Clear on why I had to change my com21
>>modem.....(for the third time).....
>>
>>Oh this is a cheaper service, we will throw in the modem for free saving
>>you $13 a month....

> The Modem is not FREE, I got charged for the last 3 months that they did
> not
> bill me.

With their new plans it is bundled into the total cost whereas with the old
plans it is a separate charge. My old plan + cable modem worked out more
expensive than equivalent new faster plan so I switched and saved. If you
have TV or phone, they'll bundle them together and give you event more
discount.

-KENT

Kent Smith

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns97A3B95351212daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...

> One of the reasons I have cable is because I could keep telecom out of my
> house.

I can proudly say I've been Telecom free for 8 years.

-KENT