Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Free domains? Thank you, Microsoft!

Free domains? Thank you, Microsoft!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

http://internet.newsforge.com/articl...24256&from=rss

LOL!

Nice to see Micro$oft making it *very* easy for people to take up on its
offer. But that is par for the course for Micro$oft.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://internet.newsforge.com/articl...24256&from=rss
>
> LOL!
>
> Nice to see Micro$oft making it *very* easy for people to take up on its
> offer. But that is par for the course for Micro$oft.

I got a hint of sarcasm? The offer is for a free domain, hosted by
Microsoft. AFAIK Microsoft is not giving away a domain, but a full service,
part of the Live series of products. The person registered the domain for
free, and is trying to get away without paying the annual domain fee.

Does it sound fair to have the domain for free and also want to host
somewhere else? I would recommend simply register the domain with the
preferred registrar and it's his to keep, no complains, right?

I don't see people hosting with Google trying to move from their hosting,
neither complaining. But since this is hosted with Microsoft, then it is
reason enough to try to raise some points, just in case.

Remember, the Microsoft Office Live offers free domain, e-mail accounts,
*AND* hosting:
http://ideas.live.com/programPage.as...5-55db6b49f7de

Also, Melbourne IT is known here in New Zealand through its local
operations: domainz.net.nz

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

Waylon Kenning

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:56:50 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

> Remember, the Microsoft Office Live offers free domain, e-mail accounts,
> *AND* hosting:
> http://ideas.live.com/programPage.as...5-55db6b49f7de

I did use their email hosting for a little bit, I found it quite neat that
people could check your domain name email through the familiar hotmail
interface. I didn't like the idea of hosting business emails on hotmail
servers for some reason, so I thought better of it.

--
Regards,

Waylon Kenning.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:56:50 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

> Remember, the Microsoft Office Live offers free domain, e-mail accounts,
> *AND* hosting:

But dude - who in their right mind would let Micro$oft touch their website?

Much better to get it hosted by a reputable company rather than by
Micro$oft.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Brendon

Yeh, ok, look - we get the message you don't like Microsoft. Fine. No
problems here. But do you honestly have to keep going on and on about it?
The people that generally visit this forum are IMO pretty clever enough to
figure out if they like it or not. Yeh, fine - provide links to some
articles of topical interest, but FFS - not every bloody day!
Stop playing the same record over and over.

Brendon

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> But dude - who in their right mind would let Micro$oft touch their
> website?
>
> Much better to get it hosted by a reputable company rather than by
> Micro$oft.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:56:50 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
>
>> Remember, the Microsoft Office Live offers free domain, e-mail accounts,
>> *AND* hosting:

> But dude - who in their right mind would let Micro$oft touch their
> website?
>
> Much better to get it hosted by a reputable company rather than by
> Micro$oft.

Demographics. The objective of this Microsoft Office Live service is to
offer companies with no clue Internet business an easy entry into the thing:
email, domain, hosting. No fuss, no mess with "register domain, find
hosting, transfer DNS records, configure MX record, have mail server
installed, configure software, mess with updates".

It's free, so you get what you pay. It's easy to use, and will attract
people with no skills and no budget for IT.

If the guy is capable of doing what he put on the article - manually
transferring a domain, hosting itself and configuring the rest, then he
should know better than to go for the free option.

I run a Microsoft Exchange server at home. I am capable of doing this. Some
people are not, so their options are either pay (lots) for a service, or use
one that will give them just what they need, nothing else. And some are
happy with this option.

A lot of people started with geocities, and today they moved on. Most people
on the Internet are readers, and this kind of initiative (alongside with
Google Pages) gives people the chance to be publishers and put their
companies out there. Give them a chance...

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
www.geekzone.co.nz/geekzoneblog.asp
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

Enkidu

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> http://internet.newsforge.com/articl...24256&from=rss
>

> LOL!
>
> Nice to see Micro$oft making it *very* easy for people to take up on
> its offer. But that is par for the course for Micro$oft.

Betcha he gets billed by MelbourneIT for the renewal.

Cheers,

Cliff

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:02:54 +1200, Brendon wrote:

> Yeh, fine - provide links to some
> articles of topical interest, but FFS - not every bloody day!

You don't have to read them. I certainly don't read every post or every
thread. Read what you want to read - because you want to read it not
simply because it's there.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand:
How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:05:03 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

> Demographics. The objective of this Microsoft Office Live service is to
> offer companies with no clue Internet business an easy entry into the thing:
> email, domain, hosting. No fuss, no mess with "register domain, find
> hosting, transfer DNS records, configure MX record, have mail server
> installed, configure software, mess with updates".

That's just the thing. Micro$oft is giving the unknown to the clueless who
choose to remain clueless rather than actually learn about what they're
wanting to do.

That is not a good thing.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:06:31 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

> Betcha he gets billed by MelbourneIT for the renewal.

Maybe. But he doesn't need to keep it. ;op

Have A Nice Cup of Tea