Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 2ndhand scanner scans blurry

2ndhand scanner scans blurry

searching

I bought a 2ndhand hp scanjet 5200c and am very disappointed with the scan
results when scanning photo's, they are very blurry, I have tried scanning
from 150dpi to 600dpi, 150 dpi looks the best. The scan software
automatically does a little bit of sharpening but the photo's are still very
blurry. I don't have much scanner experience so I don't know if this is
typical although i would be very surprised if it was.
The scanner is a usb model that came out in about 2000.
The glass is clean and there is no smearing.
Does the focus on a scanner deteriorate over time and if so is there
anything you can do to fix it? This is an important thing for me to find out
because websites don't typically tell you how a product deteriotes over
time, I have spent and hour or 2 searching but have found no references to
what i want to know.
So this is the sort of problem that i turn to nz.comp for.

bonspiel@orcon.net.nz

At least it sort of works. I bought one off trademe a couple of weeks
ago and got 6 scans out of it before it started making grinding noises
and died. POS.

searching

"searching" <searching@research> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I bought a 2ndhand hp scanjet 5200c and am very disappointed with the scan
> results when scanning photo's, they are very blurry, I have tried scanning
> from 150dpi to 600dpi, 150 dpi looks the best. The scan software
> automatically does a little bit of sharpening but the photo's are still

very
> blurry. I don't have much scanner experience so I don't know if this is
> typical although i would be very surprised if it was.
> The scanner is a usb model that came out in about 2000.
> The glass is clean and there is no smearing.
> Does the focus on a scanner deteriorate over time and if so is there
> anything you can do to fix it? This is an important thing for me to find

out
> because websites don't typically tell you how a product deteriotes over
> time, I have spent and hour or 2 searching but have found no references to
> what i want to know.
> So this is the sort of problem that i turn to nz.comp for.

I'm guessing that if the scans I am getting are not typical of a new 5200c
then maybe the mirrors inside need a clean but I would like some feedback
before I attempt this, is it common for scanners to loose focus over time
due to dirty mirrors?
I know part of what I am asking is subjective but I am sure nobody would
consider the images i am getting as anything but blurry.

Vista

"searching" <searching@research> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I bought a 2ndhand hp scanjet 5200c and am very disappointed with the scan
> results when scanning photo's, they are very blurry, I have tried scanning
> from 150dpi to 600dpi, 150 dpi looks the best. The scan software
> automatically does a little bit of sharpening but the photo's are still
> very
> blurry. I don't have much scanner experience so I don't know if this is
> typical although i would be very surprised if it was.
> The scanner is a usb model that came out in about 2000.
> The glass is clean and there is no smearing.
> Does the focus on a scanner deteriorate over time and if so is there
> anything you can do to fix it? This is an important thing for me to find
> out
> because websites don't typically tell you how a product deteriotes over
> time, I have spent and hour or 2 searching but have found no references to
> what i want to know.
> So this is the sort of problem that i turn to nz.comp for.

Was the scanner 'locked' before it was transported, using the lock switch?
If not, it is probably damaged, as they are very delicate and can get
damaged if knocked only slightly. They are so cheap to buy new, so I
wouldn't risk buying one second hand, and that model is a very old one, as I
used to have one and it developed a similar problem years ago.

searching

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> At least it sort of works. I bought one off trademe a couple of weeks
> ago and got 6 scans out of it before it started making grinding noises
> and died. POS.

From the research I have done today that sounds like it could be a shipping
lock problem, move it back and forward a few times and cross your fingers,
sounds like it might have been in partial or complete shipping lock when you
used it.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:10:05 +1200, Vista wrote:

> They are so cheap to buy new, so I
> wouldn't risk buying one second hand, and that model is a very old one, as I
> used to have one and it developed a similar problem years ago.

I paid about $700 for my Epson scanner. It was the top of the range at the
time - a proper professional one.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
sign they've lost the real battle, for users."

Vista

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:10:05 +1200, Vista wrote:
>
>> They are so cheap to buy new, so I
>> wouldn't risk buying one second hand, and that model is a very old one,
>> as I
>> used to have one and it developed a similar problem years ago.

> I paid about $700 for my Epson scanner. It was the top of the range at the
> time - a proper professional one.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>
> --
> "When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
> sign they've lost the real battle, for users."

The HP 5200c was about $500 in its day too. But not a very good scanner.

searching

"Vista" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:10:05 +1200, Vista wrote:
> >
> >> They are so cheap to buy new, so I
> >> wouldn't risk buying one second hand, and that model is a very old one,
> >> as I
> >> used to have one and it developed a similar problem years ago.

> > I paid about $700 for my Epson scanner. It was the top of the range at

the
> > time - a proper professional one.
> >

> > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
> >
> > --
> > "When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
> > sign they've lost the real battle, for users."
> >

> The HP 5200c was about $500 in its day too. But not a very good scanner.

US $500 when it first came out.

Steven H

Hello Have A Nice Cup of Tea,

> a proper professional one.

ok, i just got to ask... but wtf is the real difference between a 'proper
professional scanner' and my 3n1 printer / copier / scanner sitting beside
me ?

----------------
Steven H

the madGeek

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:10:05 +1200, Vista wrote:
>
>> They are so cheap to buy new, so I wouldn't risk buying one second
>> hand, and that model is a very old one, as I used to have one and it
>> developed a similar problem years ago.
>>

> I paid about $700 for my Epson scanner. It was the top of the range at
> the time - a proper professional one.
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

searching

"Steven H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .nz...
> Hello Have A Nice Cup of Tea,
>
> > a proper professional one.

> ok, i just got to ask... but wtf is the real difference between a 'proper
> professional scanner' and my 3n1 printer / copier / scanner sitting beside
> me ?

No you don't.