Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > linux thin clients

linux thin clients

thingy

http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news...le.php/3391511

"....Linux on thin clients according to recent statistics from research
firm IDC is growing at a rapid pace. In 2003, IDC estimated that Linux
was in over 20 percent of thin clients and its forecast of 60 percent is
higher than any other thin client operating system annual growth rate.

"Thin clients represent a very cost effective hardware node solution for
a pretty broad range of information worker activities," Weinberg said.
"Linux makes both ends of the thin client equation more cost effective."

interesting.....

Also read an article the other day showing a Linux box with 6 graphics
cards, keyboards and mice.....with 6 users logged in and working....so
saving 5 thick clients.....

All interesting tech saving dosh.....

I liked this last one best because it offers a local usb port to plug a
burner, printer(s) etc into....

Pity I lost the URL

:/

regards

thing

shannon

thingy wrote:
> http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news...le.php/3391511
>

> "....Linux on thin clients according to recent statistics from research
> firm IDC is growing at a rapid pace. In 2003, IDC estimated that Linux
> was in over 20 percent of thin clients and its forecast of 60 percent is
> higher than any other thin client operating system annual growth rate.
>
> "Thin clients represent a very cost effective hardware node solution for
> a pretty broad range of information worker activities," Weinberg said.
> "Linux makes both ends of the thin client equation more cost effective."
>
> interesting.....
>
> Also read an article the other day showing a Linux box with 6 graphics
> cards, keyboards and mice.....with 6 users logged in and working....so
> saving 5 thick clients.....
>
> All interesting tech saving dosh.....
>
> I liked this last one best because it offers a local usb port to plug a
> burner, printer(s) etc into....
>
> Pity I lost the URL
>
> :/
>
> regards
>
> thing

DIY version
http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html
OTS version
http://userful.com/products/multi-station

thingy

shannon wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>
>> http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news...le.php/3391511
>>

>> "....Linux on thin clients according to recent statistics from
>> research firm IDC is growing at a rapid pace. In 2003, IDC estimated
>> that Linux was in over 20 percent of thin clients and its forecast of
>> 60 percent is higher than any other thin client operating system
>> annual growth rate.
>>
>> "Thin clients represent a very cost effective hardware node solution
>> for a pretty broad range of information worker activities," Weinberg
>> said. "Linux makes both ends of the thin client equation more cost
>> effective."
>>
>> interesting.....
>>
>> Also read an article the other day showing a Linux box with 6
>> graphics cards, keyboards and mice.....with 6 users logged in and
>> working....so saving 5 thick clients.....
>>
>> All interesting tech saving dosh.....
>>
>> I liked this last one best because it offers a local usb port to plug
>> a burner, printer(s) etc into....
>>
>> Pity I lost the URL
>>
>> :/
>>
>> regards
>>
>> thing

> DIY version
> http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html
> OTS version
> http://userful.com/products/multi-station

neat thanks....that's the one....

regards

Thing

Comparing thick and thin clients Mike ASP .Net 4 08-29-2006 05:43 PM
Thin Clients Rosco Computer Support 0 03-31-2006 09:46 AM
webvpn and thin clients dt1649651@yahoo.com Cisco 1 06-14-2005 09:58 PM
Rich Thin Clients are URGENTLY needed for java!!! Keith Java 2 02-23-2005 01:59 AM
Lightweight web services for thin clients like PDAs? Digital Puer Java 0 08-10-2004 07:40 PM

Advertisments