Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon UBS... argh

Orcon UBS... argh

Richard

55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec

Web pages loading like I am on dialup

MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.

Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan

Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

Fred Dagg

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
>
>Web pages loading like I am on dialup
>
>MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
>
>Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
>

>Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.

I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
comparison.

Deck

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>
>>55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
>>
>>Web pages loading like I am on dialup
>>
>>MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
>>
>>Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
>>

>>Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

> Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.
>
> I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
> comparison.

because of the disconnection fee

Richard

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>

>>55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
>>
>>Web pages loading like I am on dialup
>>
>>MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
>>
>>Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
>>

>>Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

> Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.
>
> I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
> comparison.

Because its not mine.

Disconnection fee isnt a worry because its not of merchantable quality with
performance like that

Same torrent now is getting 4 times the speed off half the peers

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:33:41 +1200, "Deck" <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> exclaimed:
>>
>>>55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
>>>
>>>Web pages loading like I am on dialup
>>>
>>>MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
>>>
>>>Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
>>>

>>>Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

>> Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.
>>
>> I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
>> comparison.

>because of the disconnection fee

Tell them to get stuffed. I know of a bunch of people who told them
they weren't paying it, as they were not delivering the service they
were advertising.

None have had to pay it as yet.

Torrential

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:23:36 +1200, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:33:41 +1200, "Deck" <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>

>>"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> exclaimed:

>>> Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.
>>>
>>> I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
>>> comparison.

>>because of the disconnection fee
>>

>Tell them to get stuffed. I know of a bunch of people who told them
>they weren't paying it, as they were not delivering the service they
>were advertising.

better still, take them to small claim tribunal
give Orcon ISP of the year !

MarkH

Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>
>>55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
>>
>>Web pages loading like I am on dialup
>>
>>MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
>>
>>Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
>>

>>Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

> Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.
>
> I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
> comparison.

I checked Ihug's new pricing and didn't like what I saw. On their
"extreme" plan the total available is 60GB, but you have to manage your
downloading to keep 2/3 of it in the 1/3 of the day they define as offpeak.
You also get charged $5 per GB for overage - it is a bit rich to claim that
their is no comparison between Orcon and Ihug when Orcon will let you have
more data for $2/GB and Ihug charges $5/GB.

I am going with Orcon's "Advanced 60" plan at the moment, but will consider
changing to a different ISP with a better deal on fast internet with 60+ GB
per month.

I want broadband, which means 3.5M/512K. All the other plans are only half
minimum broadband speed on the upload side.

Currently the only ISPs that I have seen better prices than Orcon's from
are Worldnet and Slingshot. I want to hear from the people using their
3.5/512 plans before I change though.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 03:09:35 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>>>55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
>>>
>>>Web pages loading like I am on dialup
>>>
>>>MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
>>>
>>>Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
>>>

>>>Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

>> Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.
>>
>> I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
>> comparison.

>I checked Ihug's new pricing and didn't like what I saw. On their
>"extreme" plan the total available is 60GB, but you have to manage your
>downloading to keep 2/3 of it in the 1/3 of the day they define as offpeak.
>You also get charged $5 per GB for overage - it is a bit rich to claim that
>their is no comparison between Orcon and Ihug when Orcon will let you have
>more data for $2/GB and Ihug charges $5/GB.
>
>I am going with Orcon's "Advanced 60" plan at the moment, but will consider
>changing to a different ISP with a better deal on fast internet with 60+ GB
>per month.
>
>I want broadband, which means 3.5M/512K. All the other plans are only half
>minimum broadband speed on the upload side.
>
>Currently the only ISPs that I have seen better prices than Orcon's from
>are Worldnet and Slingshot. I want to hear from the people using their
>3.5/512 plans before I change though.

One day people will learn that you get what you pay for.

It's NOT all about price.

Richard

Fred Dagg wrote:

> One day people will learn that you get what you pay for.
>
> It's NOT all about price.

But we are not getting what we pay for, which is at the moment a 2 megabit
internet connection with traffic charged at $10 per 10 gigs, soon its changing
for the worse, but still, we will not be getting what is paid for.

I expect a reasonable certainty that when asked, the connection will deliver the
quoted speed, sure, it may fail to deliver it sometimes.

What I am seeing from orcon at the moment is certainty that I will _not_ get
these speeds unless its the middle of the night. This is unacceptable.

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:15:06 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>
>> One day people will learn that you get what you pay for.
>>
>> It's NOT all about price.

>But we are not getting what we pay for, which is at the moment a 2 megabit
>internet connection with traffic charged at $10 per 10 gigs, soon its changing
>for the worse, but still, we will not be getting what is paid for.
>
>I expect a reasonable certainty that when asked, the connection will deliver the
>quoted speed, sure, it may fail to deliver it sometimes.
>
>What I am seeing from orcon at the moment is certainty that I will _not_ get
>these speeds unless its the middle of the night. This is unacceptable.

Sorry, I probably didn't put my point across very well. I wasn't
supporting Orcon - far from it. I know their service is crap - I
changed from them a couple of months ago.

I was more talking about the cheapies - Quicksilver, Slingshot,
Worldnet, etc.