Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > RHEL5

RHEL5

Shane

Anyone supporting this?
I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with Vixie
cron instead)
so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron?
(seems silly)
--
Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.

Steven Ellis

Shane wrote:
> Anyone supporting this?
> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with Vixie
> cron instead)
> so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron?

Err RHEL5 or FC5?

RHEL5 isn't out yet. Might be out by the end of the year.

FC5 (ie Fedora Core 5) is the test bed for RHEL5 but doesn't always
indicate what will or won't be in the final product.

Steve

Waylon Kenning

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:24:34 +1200, Shane wrote:

> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with Vixie
> cron instead)

Are we talking about Fedora Core 5? In my services menu I see

>cron is a standard UNIX program that runs user-specified programs at
>periodic scheduled times. vixie cron adds a number of features to the
>basic UNIX cron, including better security and more powerful
>configuration options.

available.

--
Regards,

Waylon Kenning.

Steve

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:24:34 +1200, Shane wrote:

> Anyone supporting this?
> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with
> Vixie cron instead)
> so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron? (seems silly)

Looks like you're right... I'm only running it on my lappie, and missed it.

Have you tried yum install cron? Doesn't look like there an rpm available
from redhat at least.

Steve

Shane

Steven Ellis wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>> Anyone supporting this?
>> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with
>> Vixie cron instead)
>> so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron?

> Err RHEL5 or FC5?
>
> RHEL5 isn't out yet. Might be out by the end of the year.
>
> FC5 (ie Fedora Core 5) is the test bed for RHEL5 but doesn't always
> indicate what will or won't be in the final product.
>
> Steve

We're (work) supporting RHEL 4 and 5 .. and FC (something something) and
Debian sarge 3.1 But in this case its def RHEL5 I had the issue with..

--
Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.

Shane

Steve wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:24:34 +1200, Shane wrote:
>
>> Anyone supporting this?
>> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with
>> Vixie cron instead)
>> so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron? (seems silly)

> Looks like you're right... I'm only running it on my lappie, and missed
> it.
>
> Have you tried yum install cron? Doesn't look like there an rpm available
> from redhat at least.
>
> Steve

I used apt
apt-cache search cron gave me no vanilla flavoured cron, so I installed
vixie(after checking with boss + client) and that did the trick
Still seems odd Red Hat havent put a vanilla cron out, would be the first
thing most people want wouldnt it?
Next chance I get I'll look at yums repositories

--
Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.

Shane

Waylon Kenning wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:24:34 +1200, Shane wrote:
>
>> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with
>> Vixie cron instead)

> Are we talking about Fedora Core 5? In my services menu I see
>
>>cron is a standard UNIX program that runs user-specified programs at
>>periodic scheduled times. vixie cron adds a number of features to the
>>basic UNIX cron, including better security and more powerful
>>configuration options.

> available.

Heh.. I wish
Def RHEL5
It is *odd* that its missing though

--
Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.

Chris Hope

Shane wrote:

> Steven Ellis wrote:
>
>> Shane wrote:
>>> Anyone supporting this?
>>> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went
>>> with Vixie cron instead)
>>> so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron?

>> Err RHEL5 or FC5?
>>
>> RHEL5 isn't out yet. Might be out by the end of the year.
>>
>> FC5 (ie Fedora Core 5) is the test bed for RHEL5 but doesn't always
>> indicate what will or won't be in the final product.

> We're (work) supporting RHEL 4 and 5 .. and FC (something something)
> and Debian sarge 3.1 But in this case its def RHEL5 I had the issue
> with..

I don't know how you *can* be supporting RHEL 5. It hasn't been released
yet. The current version of RHEL is 4.

Tony

> Heh.. I wish
> Def RHEL5
> It is *odd* that its missing though

Dude RHEL5 does not exist yet, are you talking about Redhat 5.2 or
Redhat 5.0 by any chance ? "Redhat x.x" pre-dates RHEL and Fedora.

Steven Ellis

Shane wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:24:34 +1200, Shane wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone supporting this?
> >> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with
> >> Vixie cron instead)
> >> so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron? (seems silly)

> > Looks like you're right... I'm only running it on my lappie, and missed
> > it.
> >
> > Have you tried yum install cron? Doesn't look like there an rpm available
> > from redhat at least.
> >
> > Steve

> I used apt
> apt-cache search cron gave me no vanilla flavoured cron, so I installed
> vixie(after checking with boss + client) and that did the trick
> Still seems odd Red Hat havent put a vanilla cron out, would be the first
> thing most people want wouldnt it?
> Next chance I get I'll look at yums repositories

Provide the output of the following commands

uname -a

cat /etc/redhat-release

Then we can be sure what OS version you are running.

Steve