Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows error message "Cannot remove file or folder. It is beingused by another person or program"

Windows error message "Cannot remove file or folder. It is beingused by another person or program"

SchoolTech

Windows XP puts up this dumb error message all the time when I try to
move folders, even though no application is using the file or folder.
How do I stop the messages appearing?

Jerry

SchoolTech wrote:
> Windows XP puts up this dumb error message all the time when I try to
> move folders, even though no application is using the file or folder.
> How do I stop the messages appearing?

Search for the recent thread *ntfs permissions*.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 16:15:24 +1200, SchoolTech wrote:

> Windows XP puts up this dumb error message all the time when I try to
> move folders, even though no application is using the file or folder.
> How do I stop the messages appearing?

Have you tried all the normal solutions like rebooting?

Have you tried removing the spyware, viruses and worms?

Have you removed the root-kit?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Martin Taylor, GM of platform strategy at Microsoft: "We found
that the Linux environment provided about 15 percent more end

Peter Huebner

In article <44388a5d$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Windows XP puts up this dumb error message all the time when I try to
> move folders, even though no application is using the file or folder.
> How do I stop the messages appearing?

solution 1 (usually works) - start task manager, kill explorer, restart
explorer, do your file operation

solution 2 (vague) - I have read about a bug in XP whereby it will give this
error message if/when there is a defective avi file in the directory concerned.
You may have to google for this. I found a '3rd party patch' for this but it
has not solved the problem entirely (back to solution 1).

h.t.h. -Peter

wogers nemesis