Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Open Doors to Open Source

Open Doors to Open Source

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

http://www.smartbiz.com/article/view/1138/1/60

"These companies absolutely cannot afford downtime. They have plenty of
money; they aren't choosing Linux because it's free."

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Steve

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:18:55 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> http://www.smartbiz.com/article/view/1138/1/60
>
> "These companies absolutely cannot afford downtime. They have plenty of
> money; they aren't choosing Linux because it's free."
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Nice graphs. Pity they couldn't label the data or axes on most of them.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, this lack of real data makes this
article little better than standard Microsoft FUD.

Pity.

Steve

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:13:47 +1200, Steve wrote:

> Nice graphs. Pity they couldn't label the data or axes on most of them.

Weren't the graphs produced by Netcraft?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Martin Taylor, GM of platform strategy at Microsoft: "We found
that the Linux environment provided about 15 percent more end

thingy

Steve wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:18:55 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>

>>http://www.smartbiz.com/article/view/1138/1/60
>>
>>"These companies absolutely cannot afford downtime. They have plenty of
>>money; they aren't choosing Linux because it's free."
>>

>>Have A Nice Cup of Tea

> Nice graphs. Pity they couldn't label the data or axes on most of them.
> Whilst I agree with the sentiment, this lack of real data makes this
> article little better than standard Microsoft FUD.
>
> Pity.
>

> Steve

So maybe you should look closer at the data before dismissing
it....First one is number of web servers out there, a more accurate
graph can be found at netcraft, complete with numbers....

The second is RH's shares on the nasdaq, public info and easy to verify...

If you dismiss it that easily.....

shrug....

regards

Thing

Steve

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 18:51:38 +1200, thingy wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:18:55 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.smartbiz.com/article/view/1138/1/60
>>>
>>>"These companies absolutely cannot afford downtime. They have plenty of
>>>money; they aren't choosing Linux because it's free."
>>>

>>>Have A Nice Cup of Tea

>> Nice graphs. Pity they couldn't label the data or axes on most of them.
>> Whilst I agree with the sentiment, this lack of real data makes this
>> article little better than standard Microsoft FUD.
>>
>> Pity.
>>

>> Steve
>>

> So maybe you should look closer at the data before dismissing it....First
> one is number of web servers out there, a more accurate graph can be found
> at netcraft, complete with numbers....

Ah, so I need to go and look at another site off my own bat, just to find
out what the published graph means? Good journalism there, then.

> The second is RH's shares on the nasdaq, public info and easy to
> verify...

ditto.

> If you dismiss it that easily.....

Yup. I dismiss this article for the above reasons. As I said, I agree with
the sentiment. A bit more work and the opposite would have been true.

> shrug....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Steve

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:02:44 +1200, Steve wrote:

> Ah, so I need to go and look at another site off my own bat, just to find
> out what the published graph means? Good journalism there, then.

And were you born with a spoon in your mouth as well?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Steve

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 22:09:34 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:02:44 +1200, Steve wrote:
>
>> Ah, so I need to go and look at another site off my own bat, just to
>> find out what the published graph means? Good journalism there, then.

> And were you born with a spoon in your mouth as well?
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

WTF does that mean? That it's normal to have to complete the journalists
research?

You seem to ignore the fact ( and snip from your reply ) that I am
actually on the side of FLOSS, especially seeing as I make my living
supporting linux servers.

Lets be honest about this. The first graph, $deity knows what is actually
is, has the heading:

'Apache: On the Warpath: Apache is a free open source webserver that runs
on most operating systems. The following graph shows how it has been
taking market share from Microsoft's webserver (and others) since 1995.'

How can it be 'taking market share from Microsoft's webserver' when is has
been the single most popular web server since April 1996, before IIS
existed. How can it be taking market share from linux, sun, hp...
servers, where IIS doesn't run? See the original of the graph, with
figures, at http://news.netcraft.com/archives/we...er_survey.html. You
can see that it has taken market share from NCSA and Sun/Netscape ( and
other ), but clearly NOT Microsoft.

Why do I, the reader, have to go and find what is misrepresented by sloppy
journalism?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 23:33:21 +1200, Steve wrote:

> Why do I, the reader, have to go and find what is misrepresented by sloppy
> journalism?

It was not "Journalism" - it was reportage.

Journalism would be accurate, objective and unbiased.

Have you not heard the expression "Born with a silver spoon in his mouth"?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
sign they've lost the real battle, for users."

Jerry

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 23:33:21 +1200, Steve wrote:
>

>>Why do I, the reader, have to go and find what is misrepresented by sloppy
>>journalism?

> It was not "Journalism" - it was reportage.
>
> Journalism would be accurate, objective and unbiased.
>
> Have you not heard the expression "Born with a silver spoon in his mouth"?
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Or in the case of rock star's kids, born with a silver spoon in their noses.

Steve