Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > About Port 25

About Port 25

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/3863/

Funny!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Martin Taylor, GM of platform strategy at Microsoft: "We found
that the Linux environment provided about 15 percent more end

Steven H

Hello Have A Nice Cup of Tea,

personally i find it funny that these self professed 'real administrators'
cant administor a Windows Server box without constant reboots. my server
2003 box has been up since i shifted into my current residence (shifted in
jan), so how the hell do these 'real administrators' get on.

----------------
the madGeek

> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/3863/
>
> Funny!
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 04:16:57 +0000, Steven H wrote:

> personally i find it funny that these self professed 'real administrators'
> cant administor a Windows Server box without constant reboots. my server
> 2003 box has been up since i shifted into my current residence (shifted in
> jan), so how the hell do these 'real administrators' get on.

I think that it's most likely that they're clueless MSCE types.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Martin Taylor, GM of platform strategy at Microsoft: "We found
that the Linux environment provided about 15 percent more end
user loss of productivity." - *provided MORE loss of productivity*

Steven H

Hello Have A Nice Cup of Tea,

> I think that it's most likely that they're clueless MSCE types.

lol very funny.

i write software, i dont admin servers - i havent had any issues admining
mine so how the hell can it be so damn complex as to require monthly defrags,
multiple reboots.

----------------
Steven H

the madGeek

> On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 04:16:57 +0000, Steven H wrote:
>
>> personally i find it funny that these self professed 'real
>> administrators' cant administor a Windows Server box without constant
>> reboots. my server 2003 box has been up since i shifted into my
>> current residence (shifted in jan), so how the hell do these 'real
>> administrators' get on.
>>

> I think that it's most likely that they're clueless MSCE types.
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 07:29:51 +0000, Steven H wrote:

> i write software, i dont admin servers - i havent had any issues admining
> mine so how the hell can it be so damn complex as to require monthly defrags,
> multiple reboots.

I dunno.

My Unix file server has never needed its discs defragmented. My Linux
desktop likewise has never needed the discs defragmented.

Why should M$ Windows need to have that done to it?

Can't M$ Windows take care of that sort of thing automatically?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
Linux, and it does all the things that they want."

Fred Dagg

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:58:16 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 04:16:57 +0000, Steven H wrote:
>
>> personally i find it funny that these self professed 'real administrators'
>> cant administor a Windows Server box without constant reboots. my server
>> 2003 box has been up since i shifted into my current residence (shifted in
>> jan), so how the hell do these 'real administrators' get on.

>I think that it's most likely that they're clueless MSCE types.

It's funny how cowboys always make fun of certified professionals...

Really sticks out like a sore thumb.

David

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 07:29:51 +0000, Steven H wrote:
>
>> i write software, i dont admin servers - i havent had any issues admining
>> mine so how the hell can it be so damn complex as to require monthly defrags,
>> multiple reboots.

> I dunno.
>
> My Unix file server has never needed its discs defragmented. My Linux
> desktop likewise has never needed the discs defragmented.
>
> Why should M$ Windows need to have that done to it?
>
> Can't M$ Windows take care of that sort of thing automatically?
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

What if your server actually served, received and modified files
constantly all day? What if your Desktop was used for editing video or
compiling huge software projects for 8 hours a day?

Steven H

Hello Have A Nice Cup of Tea,

> My Unix file server has never needed its discs defragmented. My Linux
> desktop likewise has never needed the discs defragmented.

niether do NTFS disks.

i actually thaught you knew this but a NTFS file system will natually migrate
often accessed files to a faster area of the disk. part of this will mean
that larger files (larger than the cluster size) will be chained together,
it also means that you will get slower access to files that are not used
reguraly because they are on a slow part of the disk or are shitsplattered
all over the platter(s) - its a tradeoff.

> Why should M$ Windows need to have that done to it?

personally i think it comes down to people leaning on their previous experience.
i dont know what previous NTFS systems were like in this reguards but we
all know that FAT baised systems required defragmenting on a regular basis.

mabye its the 'this is how it worked then' thing that is creeping in - people
dont realize that software development is a lot like evolution, mistakes
get made and they eventually get fixed.

----------------
Steven H

the madGeek

> On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 07:29:51 +0000, Steven H wrote:
>
>> i write software, i dont admin servers - i havent had any issues
>> admining mine so how the hell can it be so damn complex as to require
>> monthly defrags, multiple reboots.
>>

> I dunno.
>
> My Unix file server has never needed its discs defragmented. My Linux
> desktop likewise has never needed the discs defragmented.
>
> Why should M$ Windows need to have that done to it?
>
> Can't M$ Windows take care of that sort of thing automatically?
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Stu Fleming

Steven H wrote:
> Hello Have A Nice Cup of Tea,
>
>> My Unix file server has never needed its discs defragmented. My Linux
>> desktop likewise has never needed the discs defragmented.

Did you ever find out who was doing this and for whom? Contact via
e-mail or let me know next week. Ta.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:55:34 +1200, David wrote:

> What if your server actually served, received and modified files
> constantly all day? What if your Desktop was used for editing video or
> compiling huge software projects for 8 hours a day?

Can't the OS use the remaining sixteen hours to sort out the disc?

Why should somebody have to manually defragment a disc these days?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea