Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Multiple DHCP Scopes associated with VLANs

Multiple DHCP Scopes associated with VLANs

Merv

To carry VLAN 1 on 1Q trunk to upstream switch

interface FastEthernet0
no bridge-group 1

interface FastEthernet0.1
encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
bridge-group 1
no bridge-group 1 source-learning
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
exit

Make sure the BVI1 interface (10.0.0.2 ) is still pingable after this
change

Please post output of
show dot11 assoc client

show mac-address-table

show vlan

bck

Ok, i didn't actually had to make any change. What you suggested,

interface FastEthernet0
no bridge-group 1
1.
interface FastEthernet0.1
encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
bridge-group 1
no bridge-group 1 source-learning
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
exit

Is already active.

show dot11 asso output:
802.11 Client Stations on Dot11Radio0:

SSID [infrastructure] :

MAC Address IP address Device Name Parent
State
000b.be81.8fcc 10.0.0.3 ap1100-Rptr IPA2006_AP2 self
Assoc

SSID [intern] :

MAC Address IP address Device Name Parent
State
0040.96a8.0737 127.0.0.1 CB21AG/PI21AG HOTSPOT-NB1053 self
EAP-Assoc

2. show mac-address-table: can't find this command.

3. show vlans
Virtual LAN ID: 1 (IEEE 802.1Q Encapsulation)

vLAN Trunk Interfaces: Dot11Radio0.1
FastEthernet0.1
Virtual-Dot11Radio0.1

This is configured as native Vlan for the following interface(s) :
Dot11Radio0
FastEthernet0
Virtual-Dot11Radio0

Protocols Configured: Address: Received:
Transmitted:
Bridging Bridge Group 1 3008
88
Other 0
436

2946 packets, 492649 bytes input
193 packets, 54302 bytes output
Bridging Bridge Group 1 3012
88
Other 0
436

784 packets, 89513 bytes input
147 packets, 52412 bytes output
Bridging Bridge Group 1 3013
88
Other 0
436

0 packets, 0 bytes input
187 packets, 54583 bytes output

Virtual LAN ID: 250 (IEEE 802.1Q Encapsulation)

vLAN Trunk Interfaces: Dot11Radio0.250
Virtual-Dot11Radio0.250

Protocols Configured: Address: Received:
Transmitted:
IP 10.1.0.1 5
3
Other 0
18

76 packets, 11995 bytes input
15 packets, 1305 bytes output
IP 10.1.0.1
Other 0
18

0 packets, 0 bytes input
6 packets, 592 bytes output

Virtual LAN ID: 251 (IEEE 802.1Q Encapsulation)

vLAN Trunk Interfaces: Dot11Radio0.251
Virtual-Dot11Radio0.251

Protocols Configured: Address: Received:
Transmitted:
IP 10.2.0.1 12
18
Other 0
18

138 packets, 34663 bytes input
30 packets, 1995 bytes output
IP 10.2.0.1
Other 0
18

0 packets, 0 bytes input
6 packets, 592 bytes output

bck

with a nicer formatting:
http://bck.539.ch/output

Merv

The formatted output was much easier to read

It does not look like you have any client PC's associated to the AP -
is this correct ?

If this is the case can you have a PC associate and post output of
show dot11 assoc client

bck

Nope, that's not correct. I do have a Client associated:
http://bck.539.ch/output, with SSID intern, EAP-Associated.

With show dot11 assoc client it just shows only this line. (SSID
[intern] : )

Merv

0040.96a8.0737 is the client PC under test ?

It looks like you have WEP configured.

We had a recent situation where a wireless client could not get a DHCP
address because the WEP key number did not match that of the AP. So you
mmay want to check that. If that does not work , then I would remove
WEP encyption until the DHCP issue is resolved.

Merv

What is the version of the client software being used with the CB21AG ?

Aaron Leonard

Please see my followup to your posting in "alt.internet.wireless".
(FYI, if you want to post your article in two groups, please do it
via a single posting (with multiple groups listed in the Newsgroups
header), rather than via two independent postings.

Regards,

Aaron

---

~ Hi there,
~ First of all I'm from Switzerland. Therefore I'm pre-sorry for my bad
~ english.
~
~ My Problem is the following:
~ I'm trying to set up an Cisco 1231 AP (IOS 12.3). I configured (with
~ the GUI) an SSID 'intern' associated with the VLAN 250.
~ Now I got the two new virtual Interfaces Dot11radio0.250 and
~ FastEthernet0.250.
~ They are both in the 'bridge-group 250'. The physical interface
~ 'Dot11radio0' itself is in the 'Bridge-group 1' as well as the physical
~ interface FastEthernet0.
~
~ Now I configured these DHCP Scopes like that:
~
~ ip dhcp excluded-address 10.1.0.1 10.1.0.2
~ ip dhcp pool INTERN
~ network 10.1.0.0 /28
~ lease 10
~
~ ip dhcp excluded-address 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.3
~ ip dhcp pool DEFAULT
~ network 10.0.0.0 /28
~ lease 10
~
~ The following IP settings are set:
~ Dot11radio0: no ip address
~ Dot11radio0.250 : 10.1.0.1 /28
~ FastEthernet0: no ip address
~ FastEthernet0.250: no ip address
~ BVI 1: 10.0.0.2 /28
~
~ Now when I try to connect to the AP using the SSID 'intern', I get no
~ IP-Address.
~
~ I even tried to configure a BVI 250 interface with the IP-Address
~ 10.1.0.2 /28, it doesn't help. On the AP I turned on all 'debug ip dhcp
~ server' stuff and I don't even see a DHCPDISCOVER.
~ I also tried to abstract the Dot11radio0 interface from the
~ bridge-group 1 which isn't allowed as the AP says.
~
~ Probably I don't understand the Bridge-group thing very well but isn't
~ it inconsistent when the 'root' interface dot11radio0 is in
~ bridge-group 1 and the sub-if dot11radio0.250 itself is in bridge-group
~ 250?
~
~ I tried one more thing:
~ I did exactly the same configuration (in the GUI) without assigning the
~ SSID 'intern' to a VLAN. In that case I get an IP Address out of the
~ DEFAULT Pool.
~
~ ---
~
~ You wanna probably know where i actually want to get:
~ The target is to set up 3 SSIDs.
~ intern: clients that are allowed to communicate with the wired LAN and
~ the WAN
~ extern: clients that are allowed to communicate with the WAN
~ infrastructure: ssid-infrastructure to add a repeater-device later
~
~ To get that I think i need different address pools that i can easily
~ set up the access-lists.
~
~ Well, pre-thanks
~ greets bck

bck

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the advice (Multiple Groups) I didn't realize you can
actually do that.
And, thank you for your time-saving follow-up in
"alt.internet.wireless".

Kind Regards,
Thomas