Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > OT: GRRRR! Bloody Telecom.

Reply
Thread Tools

OT: GRRRR! Bloody Telecom.

 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2006
Just got my bill. It had $7.50 late payment fee for last month. Yet I made
sure the bill was paid by the end of the month. A quick check of their own
website showed that my payment was processed by them on 31st and in fact my
account was in credit on the billing day (1st of the month).

I rang them and, after a lot of button pushing and a wait, "George" answered
and checked, only at my insistance, and agreed to remove the late payment
fee. I asked him how it can happen, he said "Its the folks in accounting". I
said I was asking as I worried in case it was happening to others and they
weren't noticing. He said, "No, they notice, we get quite a few
phone-calls". He didn't seem to see the irony of it. That (IMO) for eveyone
that noticed there were probably 2 that didn't.

I didn't get an apology and the guy was quite curt, ****ed me off. I told
him that, if they were going to charge a late payment fee, they should give
an early payment discount. As I was in credit at the end of the billing
cycle then surely, by their own standards, they should give me a $7.50 early
payment discount. Of course it was never going to fly but, man, I was
annoyed. No apology, nothing. Almost resentment in fact that I had the cheek
to question them.

I'm going to ring them back and cancel the $2.53 a month wire maintenance
contract. **** 'em.
--
~Shaun~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2006

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4435e822$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got my bill. It had $7.50 late payment fee for last month. Yet
> I made sure the bill was paid by the end of the month. A quick check
> of their own website showed that my payment was processed by them on
> 31st and in fact my account was in credit on the billing day (1st of
> the month).
>
> I rang them and, after a lot of button pushing and a wait, "George"
> answered and checked, only at my insistance, and agreed to remove
> the late payment fee. I asked him how it can happen, he said "Its
> the folks in accounting". I said I was asking as I worried in case
> it was happening to others and they weren't noticing. He said, "No,
> they notice, we get quite a few phone-calls". He didn't seem to see
> the irony of it. That (IMO) for eveyone that noticed there were
> probably 2 that didn't.
>
> I didn't get an apology and the guy was quite curt, ****ed me off. I
> told him that, if they were going to charge a late payment fee, they
> should give an early payment discount. As I was in credit at the end
> of the billing cycle then surely, by their own standards, they
> should give me a $7.50 early payment discount. Of course it was
> never going to fly but, man, I was annoyed. No apology, nothing.
> Almost resentment in fact that I had the cheek to question them.
>
> I'm going to ring them back and cancel the $2.53 a month wire
> maintenance contract. **** 'em.
> --
> ~Shaun~
>


Sounds like a Fair Go story to me - how many of you out there mght
have been affected like this?

--

The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.

It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.

If you are trying to contact me after that time,
it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
to contact me by email, try searching for a
more recent post by me to find my current
email address.

The following is a (probably!) totally unique
and meaningless string of characters that you
can use to find posts by me in a search engine:

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Vista
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2006

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4435e822$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got my bill. It had $7.50 late payment fee for last month. Yet I made
> sure the bill was paid by the end of the month. A quick check of their own
> website showed that my payment was processed by them on 31st and in fact
> my account was in credit on the billing day (1st of the month).
>
> I rang them and, after a lot of button pushing and a wait, "George"
> answered and checked, only at my insistance, and agreed to remove the late
> payment fee. I asked him how it can happen, he said "Its the folks in
> accounting". I said I was asking as I worried in case it was happening to
> others and they weren't noticing. He said, "No, they notice, we get quite
> a few phone-calls". He didn't seem to see the irony of it. That (IMO) for
> eveyone that noticed there were probably 2 that didn't.
>
> I didn't get an apology and the guy was quite curt, ****ed me off. I told
> him that, if they were going to charge a late payment fee, they should
> give an early payment discount. As I was in credit at the end of the
> billing cycle then surely, by their own standards, they should give me a
> $7.50 early payment discount. Of course it was never going to fly but,
> man, I was annoyed. No apology, nothing. Almost resentment in fact that I
> had the cheek to question them.
>
> I'm going to ring them back and cancel the $2.53 a month wire maintenance
> contract. **** 'em.
> --
> ~Shaun~
>


You should have asked them to give you a credit for your time being wasted,
especially if they admitted it was a common accounting problem. If it was a
genuine accounting mistake ok, but if they are being flippant about it, it
is pretty poor performance. A pity there is no competition.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2006
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:18:57 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Just got my bill. It had $7.50 late payment fee for last month. Yet I made
> sure the bill was paid by the end of the month. A quick check of their own
> website showed that my payment was processed by them on 31st and in fact my
> account was in credit on the billing day (1st of the month).
>

[snip story of Telecom acting like a monolopy]

Ah looks like Telecom have not improved their accounting practices. One of
the reasons I decided that they were better out of my wallet.

> I'm going to ring them back and cancel the $2.53 a month wire maintenance
> contract. **** 'em.


You first

Personally I think this is a rip off, a bit like extended warranties. The
company pushes it so, who do you think it is good for?
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2006
Gordon wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:18:57 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Just got my bill. It had $7.50 late payment fee for last month. Yet
>> I made sure the bill was paid by the end of the month. A quick check
>> of their own website showed that my payment was processed by them on
>> 31st and in fact my account was in credit on the billing day (1st of
>> the month).
>>

> [snip story of Telecom acting like a monolopy]
>
> Ah looks like Telecom have not improved their accounting practices.
> One of the reasons I decided that they were better out of my wallet.
>
>> I'm going to ring them back and cancel the $2.53 a month wire
>> maintenance contract. **** 'em.

>
> You first
>
> Personally I think this is a rip off, a bit like extended warranties.
> The company pushes it so, who do you think it is good for?


More than push it. They include it unasked. The only way to *not* pay it is
to specifically request they stop billing you for it. Not a lot of people
know that you can even do that.

I don't even know the advantage of it (if there is one) anyway. When I had
trouble and a telecom tech came around I was warned that if there was a
fault found with my wiring I'd get charged a minimum of <guess as I can't
remember> $65. So what does this wire maintenance contract do anyway? Sweet
FA from the sounds of it. And I've been paying it for about 25 years. Eeek!
That's ~$760 for nothing. I must ask for a refund.
--
~Shaun~


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2006
~misfit~ wrote:

> I'm going to ring them back and cancel the $2.53 a month wire
> maintenance contract. **** 'em.


Rang back and cancelled it, spoke to a nice woman by the name of Riley. I
explained why I was cancelling it and she apologised on behalf of Telecom
for the other guy's rudeness. I asked her to log a customer complaint about
his demeanour. She said she would. The guy was an arrogant prick. I guess he
has Telecom shares and was upset that I'd noticed one of their rip-off
schemes.
--
~Shaun~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Vista
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2006

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gordon wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:18:57 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> Just got my bill. It had $7.50 late payment fee for last month. Yet
>>> I made sure the bill was paid by the end of the month. A quick check
>>> of their own website showed that my payment was processed by them on
>>> 31st and in fact my account was in credit on the billing day (1st of
>>> the month).
>>>

>> [snip story of Telecom acting like a monolopy]
>>
>> Ah looks like Telecom have not improved their accounting practices.
>> One of the reasons I decided that they were better out of my wallet.
>>
>>> I'm going to ring them back and cancel the $2.53 a month wire
>>> maintenance contract. **** 'em.

>>
>> You first
>>
>> Personally I think this is a rip off, a bit like extended warranties.
>> The company pushes it so, who do you think it is good for?

>
> More than push it. They include it unasked. The only way to *not* pay it
> is to specifically request they stop billing you for it. Not a lot of
> people know that you can even do that.
>
> I don't even know the advantage of it (if there is one) anyway. When I had
> trouble and a telecom tech came around I was warned that if there was a
> fault found with my wiring I'd get charged a minimum of <guess as I can't
> remember> $65. So what does this wire maintenance contract do anyway?
> Sweet FA from the sounds of it. And I've been paying it for about 25
> years. Eeek! That's ~$760 for nothing. I must ask for a refund.
> --
> ~Shaun~
>



It would definately cover the cost of fixing the fault. The tech was wrong
to say that you would be charged. They tried this on me too, until I asked
with hte wiring fee was supposed to cover. I guess unlike Telecom, they
assume that people don't have the wiring fee. Sounds like Telecom are
winning both ways. Could be one for Fair go, although they have covered it
before.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Vista
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2006

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> I'm going to ring them back and cancel the $2.53 a month wire
>> maintenance contract. **** 'em.

>
> Rang back and cancelled it, spoke to a nice woman by the name of Riley. I
> explained why I was cancelling it and she apologised on behalf of Telecom
> for the other guy's rudeness. I asked her to log a customer complaint
> about his demeanour. She said she would. The guy was an arrogant prick. I
> guess he has Telecom shares and was upset that I'd noticed one of their
> rip-off schemes.
> --
> ~Shaun~
>


Shares have increased a lot over the last few weeks. They were as low as
5.25 a few weeks ago but now at 5.8#.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gavin Tunney
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2006
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:18:57 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just got my bill. It had $7.50 late payment fee for last month. Yet I made
>sure the bill was paid by the end of the month. A quick check of their own
>website showed that my payment was processed by them on 31st and in fact my
>account was in credit on the billing day (1st of the month).
>
>I rang them and, after a lot of button pushing and a wait, "George" answered
>and checked, only at my insistance, and agreed to remove the late payment
>fee. I asked him how it can happen, he said "Its the folks in accounting". I
>said I was asking as I worried in case it was happening to others and they
>weren't noticing. He said, "No, they notice, we get quite a few
>phone-calls". He didn't seem to see the irony of it. That (IMO) for eveyone
>that noticed there were probably 2 that didn't.
>
>I didn't get an apology and the guy was quite curt, ****ed me off. I told
>him that, if they were going to charge a late payment fee, they should give
>an early payment discount. As I was in credit at the end of the billing
>cycle then surely, by their own standards, they should give me a $7.50 early
>payment discount. Of course it was never going to fly but, man, I was
>annoyed. No apology, nothing. Almost resentment in fact that I had the cheek
>to question them.
>
>I'm going to ring them back and cancel the $2.53 a month wire maintenance
>contract. **** 'em.


Is it $7.50 now... was $6 last time I got hit. I was getting whacked
twice at one stage, had separate ph & mobile bills. You could try
taking them to the Small Claims Court...if you can be bothered. By law
Telecom can only charge a 'reasonable' fee that bears some
relationship with their cost of financing. $7.50 isn't big bucks but
it probably is an unreasonable sum in that regard.

It may be illegal anyway, being an arbitrary number it would likely
constitute a fine or penalty rather than a financial charge. Was an
article on Fairgo a while back where Wilson Parking were giving people
parking tickets if their pay & display voucher had expired. According
to the Consumer guy they interviewed it's illegal for private parties
to fine people & Wilsons couldn't enforce their 'tickets'. Would be
interesting to see a legal test of Telecoms late payment penalty....
feel like being a hero?

GT
 
Reply With Quote
 
colinco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2006
In article ~misfit~ says...
> And I've been paying it for about 25 years. Eeek!
> That's ~$760 for nothing. I must ask for a refund.
>
>

Get over yourself. The maintenance fee only got separated out of the
rental when the wiring was deeded to the householder. That would have
been after Telecom was created.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[OT] It's a fine bloody hot Christmas Day Pauline Johnson Computer Support 9 12-25-2003 09:44 PM
Bloody Trojans and their wooden horse!!! Frank Clement-Lorford Computer Support 4 09-03-2003 01:40 AM
Re: Bloody nerve Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD Computer Support 0 07-27-2003 02:04 AM
Re: Bloody nerve Shep© Computer Support 2 07-27-2003 12:42 AM
Re: Don, please provide more information. but try not to put it all in the subject line cos it's bloody irritating. BTW read the groups FAQ Ted Kennedy Computer Support 0 06-23-2003 06:50 PM



Advertisments