Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Good intro-level digital camera?

Good intro-level digital camera?

Jamie Kahn Genet

Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
up too much, reliable and easy to use.

Thoughts?

TIA,
Jamie Kahn Genet

-=rjh=-

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
> recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
> shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
> Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
> up too much, reliable and easy to use.

I just recently bought a Panasonic LZ-1 and I'm quite impressed. DSE
have these for less than $400.00 currently, as this model is EOL.

6x optical zoom, image stabilisation, excellent battery life from 2xAAs,
takes SD cards. Good display, reasonable menu system, lots of tweakables.

Big enough to be easy to hold, small enough to fit in your pocket. Not a
perfect camera by any means, but good value for money.

news.xtra.co.nz

"Jamie Kahn Genet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1hde8nc.977bqk1f02phdN%(E-Mail Removed) k.nz...
> Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
> recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
> shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
> Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
> up too much, reliable and easy to use.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> TIA,
> Jamie Kahn Genet
> --
> If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

what is your budget?

I think , most digital cameras from $300+ are pretty good.

Check out parallel imported too.

Jamie Kahn Genet

news.xtra.co.nz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1hde8nc.977bqk1f02phdN%(E-Mail Removed) k.nz...
> > Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
> > recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
> > shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
> > Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
> > up too much, reliable and easy to use.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet
> > --
> > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

> what is your budget?
>
> I think , most digital cameras from $300+ are pretty good.
>
> Check out parallel imported too.

Well, I was looking to spend less than $300 - more like $200. But if
push comes to shove, I'd rather shell out a bit more and get a decent,
reliable camera.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Robert Cooze

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
> recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
> shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
> Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
> up too much, reliable and easy to use.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> TIA,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

IMHO

just about any small X3 optical Zoom camera should do the job. I have
made more money from a 2migpixal camera in its last 2 months than I did
with my film camera. I have a liking for the fuji line up, but like the
canon models too. look for macro see if you can try the camera out in
the shop have a look at the output on a computer and make your own mind
up.

Allistar

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
> recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
> shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
> Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
> up too much, reliable and easy to use.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> TIA,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

It may not be considered entry level, but I recently purchased a Canon
Powershot A620, which is an excellent camera that takes very good pics.
It's 7.1 megapixel with 4x optical zoom. Only drawback is the standard 32Mb
card will only hold 15 pics at high res.

Allistar.

Dibley Fanshaw

In article <1hde8nc.977bqk1f02phdN%(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

> Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
> recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
> shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
> Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
> up too much, reliable and easy to use.

Anything over 2MP will be an overkill for TradeMe shots and fun shots
again can be taken with that size.

I'd recommend Canon. There are plenty of options, start at DPReview
<http://www.dpreview.com/> to compare their features. You would be
buying 2nd hand as anything sold new will be more powerful than you
need. The A75, 85 or 95 models combine automation with usability with
useful macro, but you may prefer something with a bigger viewing screen.

I just had a look at TradeMe Home > Electronics & photography*> Digital
cameras*> 3 megapixel, there are 97 listings. That should keep you busy.

--
~Dibley

Vista

"Jamie Kahn Genet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1hde8nc.977bqk1f02phdN%(E-Mail Removed) k.nz...
> Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
> recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
> shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
> Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
> up too much, reliable and easy to use.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> TIA,
> Jamie Kahn Genet
> --
> If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Don't get a kodak.

Most of the other main brands are good, depends largely on the memory card
format you want. I use Compact flash. Canon, Sony, Nikon are all good brands

Gordon

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:49:48 +1200, Dibley Fanshaw wrote:

> Anything over 2MP will be an overkill for TradeMe shots and fun shots
> again can be taken with that size.

Can one still buy a 2MP camera? I have not seen one for some time.

Gordon

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:03:28 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> Well, I was looking to spend less than $300 - more like $200. But if
> push comes to shove, I'd rather shell out a bit more and get a decent,
> reliable camera.

No, $200 is second hand only. Also keep in mind that you may find that a
digital camera has you clicking away like you thought was not possible.