Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Intel wireless adapter junk

Reply
Thread Tools

Intel wireless adapter junk

 
 
SchoolTech
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2006
Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.

The DUMB wireless card will not connect to the WAP until AFTER the logon
has started. This means half the time the network is not detected and
logon cannot be completed properly.

Other manufacturer's wireless cards e.g. D-Link do not have this problem.

I'd also suggest people think seriously about the corners that are being
cut by laptop manufacturers who do silly things like put the above cards
in their laptops, or cards that don't have upgradeable firmware, or DVD
writers without any software that writes DVDs etc etc.

E.g. Toshiba Satellite A50 - crippled by all the above. Who wants to
spend another $100 getting the Intel junk card replaced by another one.
Why spend money on DVD software - after all you can get a burner with
Nero Burning ROM / NeroVision, some great software for editing and
burning DVDs in a desktop drive for under $150.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SteveM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2006
SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4434daea$(E-Mail Removed):

> Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.
>
> The DUMB wireless card will not connect to the WAP until AFTER the logon
> has started. This means half the time the network is not detected and
> logon cannot be completed properly.
>



Nope - never.
One of the most reliable wireless cards I have used.

SteveM
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
The Other Guy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2006
SchoolTech wrote:
> Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.
>
> The DUMB wireless card will not connect to the WAP until AFTER the logon
> has started. This means half the time the network is not detected and
> logon cannot be completed properly.


I have to agree with Steve, the Intel-based cards are very reliable.

When you install the Intel drivers, you have the choice of having
support for pre-login network support. Assuming you are running Windows
XP, you can also let Windows manage the connection.

The Other Guy
 
Reply With Quote
 
PC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2006

"SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4434daea$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.


snip

>
> I'd also suggest people think seriously about the corners that are being
> cut by laptop manufacturers who do silly things like put the above cards
> in their laptops, or cards that don't have upgradeable firmware, or DVD
> writers without any software that writes DVDs etc etc.
>
> E.g. Toshiba Satellite A50 - crippled by all the above. Who wants to spend
> another $100 getting the Intel junk card replaced by another one. Why
> spend money on DVD software - after all you can get a burner with Nero
> Burning ROM / NeroVision, some great software for editing and burning DVDs
> in a desktop drive for under $150.


Not just Laptops either.

Looked at an HP desktop a while ago because the owners couldn't write to
CDRW's like 'big floppy disks' (ie packet writing)
Discovered there was no packet writing software installed (Roxio DAO)
Turns out that 'model' didn't come with DAO.
Owners were Pi**ed off to say the least.
Rescued the ZIP 750MB IDE from their old box and installed it, yes they knew
it was more expensive for disks etc, but would 'never' buy an HP again.

Cheers
Paul.


 
Reply With Quote
 
SchoolTech
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-09-2006
PC wrote:
> "SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4434daea$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.

>
> snip
>
>> I'd also suggest people think seriously about the corners that are being
>> cut by laptop manufacturers who do silly things like put the above cards
>> in their laptops, or cards that don't have upgradeable firmware, or DVD
>> writers without any software that writes DVDs etc etc.
>>
>> E.g. Toshiba Satellite A50 - crippled by all the above. Who wants to spend
>> another $100 getting the Intel junk card replaced by another one. Why
>> spend money on DVD software - after all you can get a burner with Nero
>> Burning ROM / NeroVision, some great software for editing and burning DVDs
>> in a desktop drive for under $150.

>
> Not just Laptops either.
>
> Looked at an HP desktop a while ago because the owners couldn't write to
> CDRW's like 'big floppy disks' (ie packet writing)
> Discovered there was no packet writing software installed (Roxio DAO)
> Turns out that 'model' didn't come with DAO.


Yeah we have the Toshiba lappies that come with Sonic DLA (same product
I think) and the HPs that come without it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
SchoolTech
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-09-2006
SteveM wrote:
> SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:4434daea$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.
>>
>> The DUMB wireless card will not connect to the WAP until AFTER the logon
>> has started. This means half the time the network is not detected and
>> logon cannot be completed properly.
>>

>
>
> Nope - never.
> One of the most reliable wireless cards I have used.


Not what I read. Checked on the net and lots of people are having
problems with these cards.
 
Reply With Quote
 
SchoolTech
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-09-2006
The Other Guy wrote:
> SchoolTech wrote:
>> Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.
>>
>> The DUMB wireless card will not connect to the WAP until AFTER the
>> logon has started. This means half the time the network is not
>> detected and logon cannot be completed properly.

>
> I have to agree with Steve, the Intel-based cards are very reliable.
>
> When you install the Intel drivers, you have the choice of having
> support for pre-login network support.


Where is configuration for this option? It's not supported on the cards
we have.

 
Reply With Quote
 
The Other Guy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-09-2006
SchoolTech wrote:
> The Other Guy wrote:
>> SchoolTech wrote:
>>> Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.
>>>
>>> The DUMB wireless card will not connect to the WAP until AFTER the
>>> logon has started. This means half the time the network is not
>>> detected and logon cannot be completed properly.

>>
>> I have to agree with Steve, the Intel-based cards are very reliable.
>>
>> When you install the Intel drivers, you have the choice of having
>> support for pre-login network support.

>
> Where is configuration for this option? It's not supported on the cards
> we have.
>


I'm not in front of my laptop at the moment, but from memory both the
Intel tools and Windows itself have options to enable Windows to manage
the network. In XP this option is somewhere in the network configuration
where you set the IP address and bindings etc.

You may need to install the generic drivers which can be obtained from
the Intel Web site.

The Other Guy
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC card wireless adapter =?Utf-8?B?a2V2aW5sYQ==?= Wireless Networking 6 12-21-2008 08:18 PM
Please help - Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3A mini PCI adapter =?Utf-8?B?Q3VyaW91cyBDYWxseQ==?= Wireless Networking 3 01-22-2008 08:15 PM
Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini-PCI Adapter For Sale Morgi3 Computer Support 0 02-09-2006 10:04 PM
PLEASE HELP - Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3A mini PCI adapter - Aa =?Utf-8?B?Q3VyaW91cyBDYWxseQ==?= Wireless Networking 0 10-14-2005 10:19 AM
where to get latest Drivers for Intel Pro/wireless 2100 mini pci adapter Headtheball Wireless Networking 5 09-10-2004 07:19 AM



Advertisments