Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ntfs permissions

ntfs permissions

Warwick

Hi,

I have a problem copy pasting files. Windows is denying access - ' make
sure the disk is not full or write protected blah blah blah'.

All of the files are E-Donkey downloads (mp3, zip and rar), and it is most
likely E-Donkey locking the file and then not unlocking it. This problem
persists over reboots.

Can anyone tell me how to manually unlock the files? I am comfortable with
manually editing bits or bytes in the file if anyone can tell me which ones
to change and with which values, or point me to a helpful online resource.

At this stage I have no idea if ntfs binds this info into the file or keeps
it in a table in the fat.

Cheers and TIA

Nicholas Sherlock

Warwick wrote:
> I have a problem copy pasting files. Windows is denying access - ' make
> sure the disk is not full or write protected blah blah blah'.
>
> All of the files are E-Donkey downloads (mp3, zip and rar), and it is most
> likely E-Donkey locking the file and then not unlocking it. This problem
> persists over reboots.

AFAIK, locked files don't persist over reboots. Are you sure that
E-Donkey isn't running on startup?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

--
http://www.sherlocksoftware.org

news.xtra.co.nz

"Warwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem copy pasting files. Windows is denying access - ' make
> sure the disk is not full or write protected blah blah blah'.
>
> All of the files are E-Donkey downloads (mp3, zip and rar), and it is most
> likely E-Donkey locking the file and then not unlocking it. This problem
> persists over reboots.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to manually unlock the files? I am comfortable with
> manually editing bits or bytes in the file if anyone can tell me which
> ones
> to change and with which values, or point me to a helpful online resource.
>
> At this stage I have no idea if ntfs binds this info into the file or
> keeps
> it in a table in the fat.
>
> Cheers and TIA

I use this, which shows what is locking the file....

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Works for me anyway

Warwick

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 21:07:16 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

> Warwick wrote:
>> I have a problem copy pasting files. Windows is denying access - ' make
>> sure the disk is not full or write protected blah blah blah'.
>>
>> All of the files are E-Donkey downloads (mp3, zip and rar), and it is most
>> likely E-Donkey locking the file and then not unlocking it. This problem
>> persists over reboots.

> AFAIK, locked files don't persist over reboots. Are you sure that
> E-Donkey isn't running on startup?
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

I am sure E Donkey is not running on start up. I couldn't tolerate that on
dial up anyway, since the donkey takes all of my bandwidth.

After googling on ntfs and then Access Control Lists it seems like the task
is going to be bloody tricky, or maybe bloody easy if you have the right
editing tool, which I can't find and probably only comes in XP pro...

however I created a subfolder within E Donkey downloads, pasted copies of
all the files into that and then copied the copies across the network
without problems.

Clumsy work around but it will sure do.

thanks

Peter Nield

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e12lnl$k3g$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Warwick wrote:
> > I have a problem copy pasting files. Windows is denying access - ' make
> > sure the disk is not full or write protected blah blah blah'.
> >
> > All of the files are E-Donkey downloads (mp3, zip and rar), and it is

most
> > likely E-Donkey locking the file and then not unlocking it. This problem
> > persists over reboots.

> AFAIK, locked files don't persist over reboots. Are you sure that
> E-Donkey isn't running on startup?

Download processxp from sysinternals.com, and use the "Handles" search
function to find the file that you're trying to work with. It will tell you
which process has the file open, if it is open.

Another trick is to start in safe mode.

news.xtra.co.nz

"Peter Nield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e12q4o$t37$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e12lnl$k3g$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Warwick wrote:
>> > I have a problem copy pasting files. Windows is denying access - ' make
>> > sure the disk is not full or write protected blah blah blah'.
>> >
>> > All of the files are E-Donkey downloads (mp3, zip and rar), and it is

> most
>> > likely E-Donkey locking the file and then not unlocking it. This
>> > problem
>> > persists over reboots.

>> AFAIK, locked files don't persist over reboots. Are you sure that
>> E-Donkey isn't running on startup?
>>

> Download processxp from sysinternals.com, and use the "Handles" search
> function to find the file that you're trying to work with. It will tell
> you
> which process has the file open, if it is open.
>
> Another trick is to start in safe mode.

This should be a function of the operating system to tell you this .

really is ****, hope they fix this in vista.

Brendan

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:42:45 +1200, Warwick wrote:

> I have a problem copy pasting files. Windows is denying access - ' make
> sure the disk is not full or write protected blah blah blah'.
>
> All of the files are E-Donkey downloads (mp3, zip and rar), and it is most
> likely E-Donkey locking the file and then not unlocking it. This problem
> persists over reboots.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to manually unlock the files? I am comfortable with
> manually editing bits or bytes in the file if anyone can tell me which ones
> to change and with which values, or point me to a helpful online resource.
>
> At this stage I have no idea if ntfs binds this info into the file or keeps
> it in a table in the fat.

I think you will find that something has changed the access permissions for
those files.

If edonky is running when you try to move the file, it may be locking it
because it is being shared to others over the net. I use emule, which I
find to be better. Try it. Verify it's not running with task manager,
process list tab.

Also check for spyware- it may be that those files are spyware and are
locked due to being executed.

Locked files show nothing in the file itself to make it lock; it's a
function of the OS.

Access permissions are special parts of the file system, for each file. You
may be trying to copy them to a location that does not allow YOU to copy
files there, or it may be that when you move them YOU do not have
permission to delete the file once completed. Hence, error.

If you are running XP Home, you may find it tricky to edit the file
permissions - IIRC, Home does not have the permission editor. Might have in
Safe mode though. My info on this might be out of date.

Some other program may be locking the file - for some weird reason. If it's
not edonkey. Follow the advice of the other poster about process-explorer
to find out.

Sometimes, if they are video files, windows explorer will lock them if they
are corrupted in a certain subtle manner as it tries to read meta data from
the file and gets snagged, often using 100% cpu in the process...

Edonkey might have been installed under another account, probably with
higher access rights than you. It may be able to write files to that
location, as it has permission. But you may not have permissions to MOVE
them.

Also possible is your destination disk DOESN'T have the space for some
tricky, transient reason. Is it a compressed drive/folder ? Maybe your swap
file is too small - but I'd have thought that would generate out-of-memory
errors..

Solution: I'll give you $20 for the whole system, post included. It's
obviously stuffed

--

.... Brendan

#50891 +(4604)- [X]

<Eticam> I was in biology class once, and the teacher said there was sugar
in sperm
<Eticam> And a girl asked why doesn't it taste sweet then
<Eticam> When she realised what she said her face became red like a spanked
monkey ass
<Eticam> Then the teacher said, because you taste sweetness with the front
of your tongue, not the part of your tongue back in your throat
<Eticam> The girl started crying and left class ^^

Note: All my comments are copyright 6/04/2006 11:04:28 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Warwick

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 23:24:35 +1200, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

> This should be a function of the operating system to tell you this .
>
> really is ****, hope they fix this in vista.

Couldn't agree more. I don;t know why Access Control is not indicated in
the files properties. You can view the 'attributes' (actually everything is
a file attribute, even the files data) from explorer edit/view/choose
details. However all I can see is a single letter and nothing in help to
indicate what it might mean, much less how it might be altered. Crazy ****.

Not to worry, I have found a work around, kludgy as it is.

cheers

Warwick

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 23:50:15 +1200, Brendan wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:42:45 +1200, Warwick wrote:
>
>> I have a problem copy pasting files. Windows is denying access - ' make
>> sure the disk is not full or write protected blah blah blah'.
>>
>> All of the files are E-Donkey downloads (mp3, zip and rar), and it is most
>> likely E-Donkey locking the file and then not unlocking it. This problem
>> persists over reboots.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to manually unlock the files? I am comfortable with
>> manually editing bits or bytes in the file if anyone can tell me which ones
>> to change and with which values, or point me to a helpful online resource.
>>
>> At this stage I have no idea if ntfs binds this info into the file or keeps
>> it in a table in the fat.

> I think you will find that something has changed the access permissions for
> those files.
>
> If edonky is running when you try to move the file, it may be locking it
> because it is being shared to others over the net. I use emule, which I
> find to be better. Try it. Verify it's not running with task manager,
> process list tab.
>
> Also check for spyware- it may be that those files are spyware and are
> locked due to being executed.
>
> Locked files show nothing in the file itself to make it lock; it's a
> function of the OS.
>
> Access permissions are special parts of the file system, for each file. You
> may be trying to copy them to a location that does not allow YOU to copy
> files there, or it may be that when you move them YOU do not have
> permission to delete the file once completed. Hence, error.
>
> If you are running XP Home, you may find it tricky to edit the file
> permissions - IIRC, Home does not have the permission editor. Might have in
> Safe mode though. My info on this might be out of date.
>
> Some other program may be locking the file - for some weird reason. If it's
> not edonkey. Follow the advice of the other poster about process-explorer
> to find out.
>
> Sometimes, if they are video files, windows explorer will lock them if they
> are corrupted in a certain subtle manner as it tries to read meta data from
> the file and gets snagged, often using 100% cpu in the process...
>
> Edonkey might have been installed under another account, probably with
> higher access rights than you. It may be able to write files to that
> location, as it has permission. But you may not have permissions to MOVE
> them.
>
> Also possible is your destination disk DOESN'T have the space for some
> tricky, transient reason. Is it a compressed drive/folder ? Maybe your swap
> file is too small - but I'd have thought that would generate out-of-memory
> errors..
>
> Solution: I'll give you $20 for the whole system, post included. It's
> obviously stuffed

I have eliminated all of the above, but thanks for the advice and the
offer, which I will decline with regret. As inviting as it appears

cheers

Brendan

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 07:30:30 +1200, Warwick wrote:

> I have eliminated all of the above, but thanks for the advice and the
> offer, which I will decline with regret. As inviting as it appears

Lol!

--

Note: All my comments are copyright 7/04/2006 10:45:18 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.