Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines

Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines

impossible

New York Times
April 5, 2006

Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines

By VIKAS BAJAJ

Turning a decades-long rivalry on its head, Apple Computer introduced
software today that it says will easily allow users to install
Microsoft's Windows XP operating system on Apple's newest computers.

The software, Boot Camp, is available as a free download on Apple's
Web site and will be part of the next version of Apple's operating
system, Leopard. It works on Apple's three lines of computer that run
on Intel chips - the Mac mini, the iMac and the MacBook Pro.

Apple's move is a recognition of the growing interest among some users
in running Windows on Macintosh computers now that they are using
Intel processors, which power the majority of Windows-based personal
computers. Many technology enthusiasts have already been sharing
software and tricks on the Internet to allow Mac users to add Windows
to their new machines, though those approaches involve a far more
complicated installation than Apple's new software does.

In a statement today, Apple said it does not intend to support Windows
for customers who install Boot Camp and run Windows XP on their
machines. Still, the company said it is providing the software because
it recognizes a sizeable demand - and opportunity.

"We think Boot Camp makes the Mac even more appealing to Windows users
considering making the switch," Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice
president of worldwide product marketing, said in the statement.

Investors seemed to think the strategy would help Apple expand its
share of the personal computer market beyond the 3 percent to 5
percent level where it has stood at for many years. Shares of Apple
jumped $4.23, or 7 percent, to $65.40 in morning trading. Shares of
Microsoft were up 6 cents, to $27.70.

After years of stagnant or declining computer sales, Apple has seen a
steady and significant rise in its desktops and laptops in recent
years as more consumers have purchased its iPod music player and
bought songs through its online iTunes music store.

Though Apple's shift to Intel from chips made by International
Business Machines and a former division of Motorola has been
considered risky from a technical and business standpoint, the move
could help the company capitalize further on the so-far modest gains
it has made in the computer business.

Many personal computer users have been reluctant to switch to Apple,
because they cannot use software that is written to run exclusively on
the Windows operating system, said Charles Wolf, a veteran technology
industry analyst at Needham & Company. By making it easy for users to
run Windows software on its machine, Apple has taken away "one of the
most significant barriers to switching," he said.

The key test will be whether computer buyers will be willing to spend
more money to buy an Apple computer to run the same software they can
run on a far cheaper Windows-based machine from manufacturers like
Dell and Hewlett-Packard.

Mr. Wolf calculates that Apple's biggest market share gains will be
among residential users, who are more likely to be swayed by Apple's
design and media savvy than corporate and government customers who
will likely to stick with cheaper hardware and software
configurations.

The shift could mean a significant increase in sales for Apple over
time, especially after Leopard becomes the standard Mac operating
system late this year or early in 2007. But the company's gains do not
have to mean big losses for other hardware makers, Mr. Wolf said,
because they will only lose a small fraction of their market share.

"You are starting out with a market share of 2 or 3 percent and maybe
going to a market share of 6 or 7," he said. "Apple is not going to
take over the world."

Users who download and install Boot Camp must buy a copy of Windows XP
software, which starts at $141.98 for the home edition. The Boot Camp
software serves as an intermediary that creates an installation disk
(users will need to provide a blank compact disk for this step) that
lets the Windows software operate the Apple hardware, including its
networking, audio and graphics devices and controls. Certain other
features like a remote control for Apple's media software will not
work with Windows software.

Once the installation is complete, users can select which operating
system, Apple or Windows, they want to use each time they start the
computer

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:18:46 -0400, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines

Interesting, eh?

They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.

I'd imagine this is all in preparation for Windows Vista.

Waylon Kenning

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:11:47 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:

> They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.

You know Microsoft is supporting RHEL on Virtual Server right?

Interoperability is a great thing for everyone. With exes running in
Windows no problems, running in Linux with Wine, and perhaps to be running
in Mac OS X, that's great to think I can run whatever software I like on
the big three x86 OS I prefer the most.

--
Regards,

Waylon Kenning.

Fred Dagg

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:53:49 +1200, Waylon Kenning
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:11:47 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
>
>> They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.

>You know Microsoft is supporting RHEL on Virtual Server right?
>
>Interoperability is a great thing for everyone. With exes running in
>Windows no problems, running in Linux with Wine, and perhaps to be running
>in Mac OS X, that's great to think I can run whatever software I like on
>the big three x86 OS I prefer the most.

Hi, Waylon.

We're not talking about virtualisation, though. This is a replacement
for MacOS (or dual booting with MacOS), NOT run within MacOS.

news.xtra.co.nz

"impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>
> "You are starting out with a market share of 2 or 3 percent and maybe
> going to a market share of 6 or 7," he said. "Apple is not going to take
> over the world."
>
> Users who download and install Boot Camp must buy a copy of Windows XP
> software, which starts at $141.98 for the home edition. The Boot Camp
> software serves as an intermediary that creates an installation disk
> (users will need to provide a blank compact disk for this step) that lets
> the Windows software operate the Apple hardware, including its networking,
> audio and graphics devices and controls. Certain other features like a
> remote control for Apple's media software will not work with Windows
> software.
>
> Once the installation is complete, users can select which operating
> system, Apple or Windows, they want to use each time they start the

great, my apple shares have jumped , pushing the nasdaq to a high.

Vista

"impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> New York Times
> April 5, 2006
>
> Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines
>
> By VIKAS BAJAJ
>
> Turning a decades-long rivalry on its head, Apple Computer introduced
> software today that it says will easily allow users to install Microsoft's
> Windows XP operating system on Apple's newest computers.

Cool, I might actually buy one when they release it, as it would make it far
more adaptable. I would far prefer to have a mac as part of my home
entertainment centre, than a PC.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:18:46 -0400, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
> >
> >Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines

> Interesting, eh?
>
> They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.

How you managed not to kill yourself off in childhood through sheer
stupidity, baffles me.

> I'd imagine this is all in preparation for Windows Vista.

Help me out here and make the connection for me. HOW is this in
preparation for Vista? The only connection between Vista and MacOS X is
how much of a ripoff Vista is of OSX. I recall a highly amusing video
that came out of CES. It was the voice of a MS marketing person showing
off Vista's features. Some pranksters replaced the video of Vista with
OSX. Word for word, feature for feature - OSX already had it, and has
for years.

I use OSX because it is a modern, powerful, beautiful and more secure
OS, that doesn't make the user fight against the OS to get work done.
Oh, and it does this TODAY. It's been doing it for YEARS. Not some ever
changing date in the future.

You might want to actually engage the old grey matter and THINK a little
bit about that. God, you know I don't mind ignorance or stubbornness so
much. But out and out stupidity? I have trouble dealing with that... do
the world a favour and throw yourself in front of a bus.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet

Vista <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > New York Times
> > April 5, 2006
> >
> > Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines
> >
> > By VIKAS BAJAJ
> >
> > Turning a decades-long rivalry on its head, Apple Computer introduced
> > software today that it says will easily allow users to install Microsoft's
> > Windows XP operating system on Apple's newest computers.
> >

> Cool, I might actually buy one when they release it, as it would make it far
> more adaptable. I would far prefer to have a mac as part of my home
> entertainment centre, than a PC.

What I like is I'll be able to play the few really good Windows games
not ported to the Mac at full speed. That has me sold. Other than that
I'm hard pressed to think of why else I might ever want to dual boot.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Fred Dagg

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 19:14:21 +1200, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jamie
Kahn Genet) exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:18:46 -0400, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> exclaimed:
>> >
>> >Apple Allows Windows on Its Machines

>> Interesting, eh?
>>
>> They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.

>How you managed not to kill yourself off in childhood through sheer
>stupidity, baffles me.
>
>> I'd imagine this is all in preparation for Windows Vista.

>Help me out here and make the connection for me. HOW is this in
>preparation for Vista? The only connection between Vista and MacOS X is
>how much of a ripoff Vista is of OSX. I recall a highly amusing video
>that came out of CES. It was the voice of a MS marketing person showing
>off Vista's features. Some pranksters replaced the video of Vista with
>OSX. Word for word, feature for feature - OSX already had it, and has
>for years.
>
>I use OSX because it is a modern, powerful, beautiful and more secure
>OS, that doesn't make the user fight against the OS to get work done.
>Oh, and it does this TODAY. It's been doing it for YEARS. Not some ever
>changing date in the future.
>
>You might want to actually engage the old grey matter and THINK a little
>bit about that. God, you know I don't mind ignorance or stubbornness so
>much. But out and out stupidity? I have trouble dealing with that... do
>the world a favour and throw yourself in front of a bus.
>
>Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

Dear oh dear!! Obviously struck a very raw nerve!

You usually know you're on to something when people react in this way
- I guess sometimes the truth hurts.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 19:14:21 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) (Jamie
> Kahn Genet) exclaimed:
>
> >Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:18:46 -0400, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> exclaimed:

> >> Interesting, eh?
> >>
> >> They're finally admitting Windows is better than MacOS.

> >How you managed not to kill yourself off in childhood through sheer
> >stupidity, baffles me.
> >
> >> I'd imagine this is all in preparation for Windows Vista.

> >Help me out here and make the connection for me. HOW is this in
> >preparation for Vista? The only connection between Vista and MacOS X is
> >how much of a ripoff Vista is of OSX. I recall a highly amusing video
> >that came out of CES. It was the voice of a MS marketing person showing
> >off Vista's features. Some pranksters replaced the video of Vista with
> >OSX. Word for word, feature for feature - OSX already had it, and has
> >for years.
> >
> >I use OSX because it is a modern, powerful, beautiful and more secure
> >OS, that doesn't make the user fight against the OS to get work done.
> >Oh, and it does this TODAY. It's been doing it for YEARS. Not some ever
> >changing date in the future.
> >
> >You might want to actually engage the old grey matter and THINK a little
> >bit about that. God, you know I don't mind ignorance or stubbornness so
> >much. But out and out stupidity? I have trouble dealing with that... do
> >the world a favour and throw yourself in front of a bus.
> >
> >Regards,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet

> Dear oh dear!! Obviously struck a very raw nerve!
>
> You usually know you're on to something when people react in this way
> - I guess sometimes the truth hurts.

Or maybe I've run across just one to many morons today. But - no, no...
that couldn't be it, could it? Of course not! Windows Vista is nothing
like OSX, it's also out now, NO! - it's been out for years. Oh, and
there's some sort of connection between Vista and Boot Camp... no one's
exactly sure what... but I'm sure there is!

Yep, you're right. 100% right. You're not self delusional all. Windows
has no major security issues, hardly ever crashes, is rock solid... etc,
etc. It's MUCH better than a modern OS like OSX. I think I'm going to
write Apple a letter after I've posted this. I shall ask them to
incorporate a registry into OSX. Because Windows uses a registry and it
works REALLY well. Not an old, clunky concept at all! WHY, Apple, WHY OH
WHY doesn't OSX have a registry? Now I think of it - there's a whole
HOST of features from wonderful Windows that OSX ought to have! Oh, I'm
on a roll now...!

Cheers,
Jamie Kahn Genet