Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Technical help please

Technical help please

KiwiBrian

I have a ME system that has failed and I have removed the Hard Drive and am
accessing it in a USB external Hard Drive enclosure in an XP system in order
to retrieve some wanted data files.
I can access the desired My Documents files but cannot find a folder of
several hundred megs of photo images (all jpgs) that was on the Desktop,
Where should I expect to find them?
However I think that they are not actually visible anywhere, due to a
probable data corruption when the PC failed.
If this is so, it seems probable that the files are probably still actually
on the hard drive even though I can't see them.
What utility and/or technique could I use to try and retrieve them?
I know the name of the desired, but invisible, folder.
Any help would be appreciated.
Brian Tozer

Justin

KiwiBrian wrote:
> I have a ME system that has failed and I have removed the Hard Drive and am
> accessing it in a USB external Hard Drive enclosure in an XP system in order
> to retrieve some wanted data files.
> I can access the desired My Documents files but cannot find a folder of
> several hundred megs of photo images (all jpgs) that was on the Desktop,
> Where should I expect to find them?
> However I think that they are not actually visible anywhere, due to a
> probable data corruption when the PC failed.
> If this is so, it seems probable that the files are probably still actually
> on the hard drive even though I can't see them.
> What utility and/or technique could I use to try and retrieve them?
> I know the name of the desired, but invisible, folder.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Brian Tozer

Windows ME, hmmm lets see.

How about C:\Windows\Profiles\.....

or

C:\Windows\Desktop

or

Search for JPG, JPEG files. Make sure you are seeing all files and
folders including hidden and system.

Now this confirms what I keep saying to my clients. Don't put folders on
the desktop (because it's like putting a 4 drawer filing cabinet on your
desk!). Put them in "my documents", which is a special type of short
cut. Whats the difference you say. Well I have seem major performance
hits from having Folders on the desktop. If I move them and replace with
a shortcut the machine seems to "breath" a bit easier. Not so bad under
XP and 2000 but very noticable under 9x and ME.

Hope this helps!

MarkH

Justin <(E-Mail Removed)4free.co.nz> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> KiwiBrian wrote:
>> I have a ME system that has failed and I have removed the Hard Drive
>> and am accessing it in a USB external Hard Drive enclosure in an XP
>> system in order to retrieve some wanted data files.
>> I can access the desired My Documents files but cannot find a folder
>> of several hundred megs of photo images (all jpgs) that was on the
>> Desktop, Where should I expect to find them?
>> However I think that they are not actually visible anywhere, due to a
>> probable data corruption when the PC failed.
>> If this is so, it seems probable that the files are probably still
>> actually on the hard drive even though I can't see them.
>> What utility and/or technique could I use to try and retrieve them?
>> I know the name of the desired, but invisible, folder.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>> Brian Tozer
>>

> Windows ME, hmmm lets see.
>
> How about C:\Windows\Profiles\.....
>
> or
>
> C:\Windows\Desktop
>
> or
>
> Search for JPG, JPEG files. Make sure you are seeing all files and
> folders including hidden and system.

I agree, this is the way to go (you could also try searching for the name
of the folder). If you still can't find them they are probably lost
somewhere due to corruption of some kind.

To retrieve accidentally deleted files or files that are inaccessible due
to corruption of the file system you need some sort of file recovery
software. You could Google for file recovery software, there are plenty to
choose from. I use Restorer2000 Profesional, but that is not freeware (you
could try it to see if it can find the files, but you would have to buy the
software to recover them). I am pretty sure that there are at least a
couple of freeware file recovery programs around.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

KiwiBrian

Thanks Mark and Justin. You have been a big help.
Brian

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tKVYf.42$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Justin <(E-Mail Removed)4free.co.nz> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> KiwiBrian wrote:
>>> I have a ME system that has failed and I have removed the Hard Drive
>>> and am accessing it in a USB external Hard Drive enclosure in an XP
>>> system in order to retrieve some wanted data files.
>>> I can access the desired My Documents files but cannot find a folder
>>> of several hundred megs of photo images (all jpgs) that was on the
>>> Desktop, Where should I expect to find them?
>>> However I think that they are not actually visible anywhere, due to a
>>> probable data corruption when the PC failed.
>>> If this is so, it seems probable that the files are probably still
>>> actually on the hard drive even though I can't see them.
>>> What utility and/or technique could I use to try and retrieve them?
>>> I know the name of the desired, but invisible, folder.
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>> Brian Tozer
>>>

>> Windows ME, hmmm lets see.
>>
>> How about C:\Windows\Profiles\.....
>>
>> or
>>
>> C:\Windows\Desktop
>>
>> or
>>
>> Search for JPG, JPEG files. Make sure you are seeing all files and
>> folders including hidden and system.

> I agree, this is the way to go (you could also try searching for the name
> of the folder). If you still can't find them they are probably lost
> somewhere due to corruption of some kind.
>
> To retrieve accidentally deleted files or files that are inaccessible due
> to corruption of the file system you need some sort of file recovery
> software. You could Google for file recovery software, there are plenty
> choose from. I use Restorer2000 Profesional, but that is not freeware
> (you
> could try it to see if it can find the files, but you would have to buy
> the
> software to recover them). I am pretty sure that there are at least a
> couple of freeware file recovery programs around.
>

> --
> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
> See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 5-September-05)
> "The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a
> young woman. There was no possible way she could have been mistaken
> for a young man in any language, especially Braille."
> Maskerade

bambam

MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:tKVYf.42$(E-Mail Removed):

> To retrieve accidentally deleted files or files that are inaccessible
> due to corruption of the file system you need some sort of file
> recovery software. You could Google for file recovery software, there
> are plenty to choose from. I use Restorer2000 Profesional, but that
> is not freeware (you could try it to see if it can find the files, but
> you would have to buy the software to recover them). I am pretty sure
> that there are at least a couple of freeware file recovery programs
> around.

Here are some freeware file recovery programs-

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf...Files:Undelete

Restoration, Drive Rescue, and PC Inspector File Recovery, are often
mentioned in ACF (alt.comp.freeware) as the better of the list.