Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Keyboard adapter - SDL to PS/2 or USB

Keyboard adapter - SDL to PS/2 or USB

Petrushka

Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and Cables
Direct so far.

I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug (a nice IBM
model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got looks just like a phone
plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index...id/0/id/180046

Cheers,

juicyjuice

"Petrushka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and
> Cables Direct so far.
>
> I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug (a
> nice IBM model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got looks
> just like a phone plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index...id/0/id/180046
>
> Cheers,

why don't you get a new keyboard? with the large ps2 type plug...
what is the point of this mission? lol

Petrushka

On 06/04/06 02:58, juicyjuice wrote:
> "Petrushka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and
>> Cables Direct so far.
>>
>> I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug (a
>> nice IBM model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got looks
>> just like a phone plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
>> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index...id/0/id/180046
>>
>> Cheers,

> why don't you get a new keyboard? with the large ps2 type plug...
> what is the point of this mission? lol

People quite often give away old IBM model M keyboards for free, though it can
still be a challenge finding them - I was delighted to find one not long ago.
But getting the same type new (available only from Unicomp,
http://www.pckeyboard.com) costs about NZ$200 including shipping to NZ. Yowch.

Cheers,

-=rjh=-

juicyjuice wrote:
> "Petrushka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and
>> Cables Direct so far.
>>
>> I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug (a
>> nice IBM model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got looks
>> just like a phone plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
>> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index...id/0/id/180046
>>
>> Cheers,

> why don't you get a new keyboard? with the large ps2 type plug...
> what is the point of this mission? lol

Its because those keyboards are highly sought after by some people -
they are heavy, solidly built, and some people like the feel of the
keys. No "Windows" keys, though.

Bob

try http://www.surplustronics.co.nz

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4434684d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> juicyjuice wrote:
>> "Petrushka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and
>>> Cables Direct so far.
>>>
>>> I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug (a
>>> nice IBM model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got looks
>>> just like a phone plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
>>> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index...id/0/id/180046
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> P

>> why don't you get a new keyboard? with the large ps2 type plug...
>> what is the point of this mission? lol

> Its because those keyboards are highly sought after by some people - they
> are heavy, solidly built, and some people like the feel of the keys. No
> "Windows" keys, though.

Mark Robinson

Petrushka wrote:
> Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and
> Cables Direct so far.
>
> I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug (a
> nice IBM model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got looks
> just like a phone plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index...id/0/id/180046

You could hardwire the lead from a dead keyboard onto the connections on the
back of the SDL socket in your nice tactile feedback keyboard.

There are copies of the SDL pinout at

http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/
http://www.ardent-tool.org.uk/ohland/keyboard.html

Petrushka

On 06/04/06 16:24, Mark Robinson wrote:
> Petrushka wrote:
>> Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and
>> Cables Direct so far.
>>
>> I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug
>> (a nice IBM model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got
>> looks just like a phone plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
>> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index...id/0/id/180046

> You could hardwire the lead from a dead keyboard onto the connections on
> the back of the SDL socket in your nice tactile feedback keyboard.
>
> There are copies of the SDL pinout at
>
> http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/
> http://www.ardent-tool.org.uk/ohland/keyboard.html

Ah, now that is an interesting idea. Thanks muchly for the references. It's been
about 20 years since I last played with plugs and wiring (in high school, I
think ...) - mind you, I got the keyboard for free, so if I mess up, easy come
easy go

thanks